It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here are some links to some of the lesser known, but equally effective peer-support based groups:

SMART Recovery

Quote:
SMART Recovery® is the leading self-empowering addiction recovery support group. Our participants learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research and participate in a world-wide community which includes free, self-empowering, science-based mutual help groups.

The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program® helps people recover from all types of addiction and addictive behaviors, including: drug abuse, drug addiction, substance abuse, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery sponsors face-to-face meetings around the world, and daily online meetings. In addition, our online message board and 24/7 chat room are excellent forums to learn about SMART Recovery and obtain addiction recovery support.

SOS (Secular Organisations for Recovery)

Quote:
SOS is an alternative recovery method for those alcoholics or drug addicts who are uncomfortable with the spiritual content of widely available 12-Step programs. SOS takes a reasonable, secular approach to recovery and maintains that sobriety is a separate issue from religion or spirituality. SOS credits the individual for achieving and maintaining his or her own sobriety, without reliance on any "Higher Power." SOS respects recovery in any form regardless of the path by which it is achieved. It is not opposed to or in competition with any other recovery programs.

SOS supports healthy skepticism and encourages the use of the scientific method to understand alcoholism.

Women for Sobriety

Quote:
Women For Sobriety, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping women overcome alcoholism and other addictions. It is, in fact, the first national self-help program for women alcoholics. Our "New Life" Program helps achieve sobriety and sustain ongoing recovery. WFS has been providing services to women alcoholics since July, 1976. The WFS "New Life" Program grew out of one woman's search for sobriety.

WFS self-help groups are found all across this country and abroad. Based upon a Thirteen Statement Program of positivity that encourages emotional and spiritual growth, the "New Life" Program has been extremely effective in helping women overcome their addictions and embrace a new positive lifestyle.

LifeRing

Quote:
“Three-S” is short-hand for the fundamental principles of LifeRing: Sobriety, Secularity, and Self-Help.

Sobriety. “Sobriety” can mean different things in dictionaries, but in LifeRing it always means abstinence. The basic membership requirement is a desire to remain abstinent from alcohol and “drugs.” LifeRing welcomes people regardless of their “drug of choice.” Please look elsewhere for support if your intention is to keep drinking or using, but not so much, or to stop drinking but continue using, or stop using but continue drinking. The successful LifeRing participant practices the Sobriety Priority, meaning that nothing is allowed to interfere with staying abstinent from alcohol and “drugs.” The motto is “we do not drink or use, no matter what.”

Secularity. LifeRing Recovery welcomes people of all faiths and none. You get to keep whatever religious beliefs you have, and you are under no pressure to acquire any if you don’t. Participants’ spiritual or religious beliefs or lack thereof remain private. Neither religion nor anti-religion normally come up in meeting discussion. Participants are free to attend both LifeRing and Twelve-Step meetings, but LifeRing supports recovery methods that rely on human efforts rather than on divine intervention.

Self-Help. Self-help in LifeRing means that the key to recovery is the individual’s own motivation and effort. The main purpose of the group process is to reinforce the individual’s own inner strivings to stay clean and sober. LifeRing is a permanent workshop where individuals can build their own Personal Recovery Plans. LifeRing does not prescribe any particular “steps” other than abstinence and is not a vehicle for any particular therapeutic doctrine. LifeRing participation is compatible with a wide variety of abstinence-based therapeutic or counseling programs.

Pagans in Recovery

An alternative recovery forum with regular face to face meetings.

If anyone has any more, let me know and I'll add them to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for posting all those groups for us, TJ. This is a really handy "guide" for us.

On a similar note...A couple of years ago (before many of you were members here), I started a suboxone support group in my local area. I kept it going for about 6 months or so before I gave up on it. I had a few members, but it just never got off the ground. I started the group on Meetup.com. People start many kinds of groups on that site and people can search for different kinds of local groups, from exercising to drawing to addiction to fibromyalgia support groups, etc etc.

It's a good place to start a group up and a good place to LOOK for a local addiction support group. I just wanted to point that out if any of you are looking for something local.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]