It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

don't know what happend to my posts but I'm apparently too new to embed yet.

Some other faves:

jeff buckely hallelujah and Lover, you should've come over

New Order (I cannot remember the name of the cd right now, but its fantastic)

Kaiser Chiefs
Mika-a cute boy band from uk
Muse
Band of Horses-ethereal ish
anything from the 70's :)
Radiohead all their stuff
Queen of the Stone Age- great to work out to
Bruno Mars Marry me-silly but fun to sing in my car
David Gray

more later. I'm feeling like crap and need to get off line. obviously my computer is helping me NOT focus on my physical symptoms which of course is all I'm thinking about right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of my all-time favorite bands is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. You should see me in the car, blaring it and singing. Really picks up my mood. My favorite song is Dani California. I could listen to that over and over. There's plenty of other musicians/bands that I love, but the Chili Peppers out rocks them all.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HatMaker,

I can't believe you like the Chilli Peppers...sweet.

I Love John Frusciante's guitar playing. He looks like such a tortured soul, but lays down these awesome licks...amazing. Of course, Anthony, Flea and Chad rock too.

I understand John and Anthony both battled Opiates during their life...this is a part of the reason I'm partial to them as well.

I would have to say my fav by the peppers is Under the Bridge. Anthony was apparently shy about writing it due to its extrememly personal matter, but the legendary Rick Rubin convinced him otherwise...thank goodness.

I remember seeing the Give It Away Now video and my eyes bugged out of my head...I was like, who are these guys? They shook up the scene really good.

Chinagirl, I love that Hallejuah song too. It is smoking. It just moves ya.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:42 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

anyone else have trouble with this site? it keeps logging me out even when logged in and on the site, it won't post messages i write....says I'm trying to download music and I can't because i haven't been here 2 days....

Ok....Ditto on Chili Peppers....love to sing in my car which is the ONLY place I should be singing. I am classically trained pianist, played drums, piano, harpsichord in jazz band and in a community band when i was 16, but I cannot sing damn it.

More Jeff Buckley...He is my all time favorite artist. I miss him. Why did he feel the need to go swimming with his clothes and boots on? WHY?
I forgot to mention Jeff's other stuff I love love love: Grace which is unbelievable, Last Goodbye, So Real...well pretty much all of it. I've heard his dad, Tim Buckley's stuff and it is good...folksy from 60's and 70's

Thom York

Yes-round about

Rufus Wainwright

Smiths/Morrissey-I saw him in Minneapolis in 1992 in a small venue. It lasted 30 min. and he walked off and didn't come back. People were throwing flowers at him, trying to get on stage and he just quit.

Update on methadone detox: day 5 couldn't sleep took 2 trazodone and melatonin. I have maybe a 12 on COWS but I still think I need to wait longer. It's just not that bad. My symptoms that I usually have in w/d aren't even on the cows, tho. They include coughing and sneezing like mad, and electric shocks throughout body. I also have gi issues, headache, hot/cold, piloerection, BP is up a tad HR is about 90, no yawning or rhinitis, tho.
I am seeing my daughter today and altho I didn't want to take vic I did take 2 at 6am so I can be somewhat normal when I see her. I have to drive 6 hours round trip and I am NOT going to miss it. thankfully I have someone driving me.

I don't want to give up but some moments I just think fuck it stay on methadone. Don't fix what isn't broken except the judge saying I am junkie. I think I am just nervous and can't induct yet and am really psychologically messing with myself. Why do I do this? I hate myself. I hate this disease.
Clonodine would be helpful but dr didn't return my call yet.

Later....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to drop in and say Yay! I'm so glad people are posting in here.

Later I will try to find & embed videos for some of your song suggestions, right now I'm at work so I gotta go!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

John Frusciante has some serious talent. I completely forgot about the tune Murderers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kinetix,

You just had to do it again, eh. I finally started listening to music other than Fader today and then you drop this bomb Murderers on us...WOW, I had never heard it before.

One of the quips I read said, Some guitarists play good, Some guitarists play great, Some guitarists play like GOD and then there's John Frusciante. HA, I thought that was cool.

Anyway, thanks again Kinetix and Rock On, man!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like all of the Chili Peppers, but I absolutely ADORE Anthony Kiedis. He is THE SHIT. Oh, and Chinagirl, I only sing in the car because I, too, can't sing worth a damn. As they say, I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Ha ha.

I also listen to Toad the Wet Sprocket, Crowded House, and believe it or not...Lyle Lovett. I know, what crazy-ass broad likes both the Chili Peppers and that crazy country guy. But I love his voice. Then there's other music besides rock, for example I love big band and oldies like Tom Jones; even Michael Feinstein. I know, WTF! I've also always been a big Mellencamp fan. Talk about eclectic, huh?

Oh I almost forgot another rockin' good song I love to listen to REALLY, REALLY loud is "Fake It" by Seether....of course the explicit version. Nothing but.

Post subject: ditto
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Ditto on Toad the Wet Sprocket. I like Bill Withers, too! and a lot of really simple stuff from the 70's.

I love Crowded House. I like Sam Phillips. Anyone know her? I got her CD in 1993 and loved it.

I am a huge alternative fan...I love Juliana Hatfield, House Martens, some Nirvana, some Live, and Matthew Sweet. he and the chic from the Bangles Susannah Hoff (is that her name?) did something together a while back that was great.

Detox update: First, just got back from seeing my beautiful 9 yo daughter. Long freaking drive but so worth it even in detox. I almost didn't go cuz I felt so shitty but no way could I NOT go. It was a fantastic time and she is doing well. She is adopted from China, hence chinagirl name, and is incredibly smart. We had to put her in a gifted school cuz she was so bored...she is learning Latin, and doing art work "similar to Georgia O'keefe" she tells me. this school has them sing things to memorize and learn so she has this song to remember what prepositions, subject nouns, IO's, adjectives, adverbs, etc are. So damn cute. She knows everything about cats and will tell anyone who will listen how to best raise cats or how to breed! I am a dumb ass compared to her.

So, I did take vic because of seeing her and the detox...so I can't induct til tomorrow if w/d are bad enough. Right now I am still doing ok....and it is day 5 post methadone. I'd never have thought I could do this. Dr. won't give me Clonodine and I wonder if he thought I said Klonopin...oh well. I see him Monday.
My symptoms are just fatigue, sneezing, coughing, gi upset, headache, electric shocks, a few yawns and a little water eye. Just not enough yet to start sub, but obviously I'll now wait 24 hours after vic to induct anyway.
So. there is it.
thanks for the support and thanks for the music links....love that!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All this talk about Alice in Chains and the Chili Pepers brought to mind yet another great 90's band with a junk problem:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs[/youtube]

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I never knew all you chicks liked to Rock so much! Y'all are simply awesome!!

It always surprises me to find people who have musical tastes that so closely line up with mine, it's a great feeling.

John Mellencamp is a major influence on my musical tastes. His simple, yet powerful songs are masterpieces.

HatMaker, you were doing great with your suggestions until I saw Lyle Lovett, that's when the wheels came off the wagon. :D . Even Julia Roberts dropped him like a hot potato. ( I hope you don't mind a little teasing, I am absolutely just playing with you)

Diary of a Quitter, I am so glad you turned me onto this thread. I had been listening to music that was continuously reminding me of how bad things could be (Alice in Chains--nutshell, Mad Season--Wake up) and after I watched that Cee Lo--Fuck you video a flood of funny hit me and I finally started listening to 'happier' music and my attitude has improved greatly. The new music has made me do a 180 and I really don't know how thank all of you except to say THANK YOU.

It's funny, I first came to this website hoping to help others and thought "I'm good, I don't need any help anymore, I'll just help others" and here in the last few days especially I have received much more than I have given. Life is so weird sometimes when it comes to your expectations.

Thank you ALL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:lol: :lol: I know you're teasing me, Romeo. I agree, it's odd. But really, I just love the guy! I'm a complicated woman. (No chicks in this house....Now who's teasing who?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I've been bested by a WOMAN, I guess that means it's my bedtime. good night y'all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DQ,

I justed wanted to update you, I've been working through your list the best I can with my crap slow internet that I have at the house. I've made it all the way up to Belle and Sebastian. So, Vampire weekend, cool. Elliott Smith...is he really sitting in his bathroom?? For a guy, a guitar and a mic in a bathroom he surprised the hell out of me. Sebastian and Belle...I can see the draw, nice harmony, just not my cup of tea. Monae, I guess it was over my head. Janes Addiciton...HELL YEAH, by the way Perry Farrell is as crazy as he looks :D

Oh Yeah, I got Tighten Up already marked off the list too. I had heard the song just a day or two earlier then I watched the video and finally got it...Love it. Tighten Up on your reigns, you're running wild. So funny.

When I get to work tomorrow I'm going through the rest of the list, way fast internet there.

Peace Out

Post subject: more jeff buckley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Well if you haven't realized it by now I am mad about Jeff Buckley. My god his voice is pure sex! That outta get you checking it out, huh?

I forgot to mention his 2nd album that he didn't finish due to his untimely drowning in the Wolf River in Memphis. So sad. No drugs or alcohol and they ruled it accidental. Most of us who adore him are just devastated still, 14 years later. He was 30 when he died and would have been 44 Nov. 17. His father, Tim, was a musician and died of Heroin/etoh od at the age of 28. Tragic. Jeff only met his father once when he was 8. I think he really tried to distance himself from his fathers music, but when he got noticed was when he played at a tribute for his father after his fathers death. People were blown away.

the album is called My Sweetheart the Drunk and the song is Yard of Blonde Girls. If you listen to the other stuff I told you about and then listen to this you can hear incredible growth. I really love him.

I love mellencamp, too. I grew up listening to Montrose (rock candy!), Kiss, ZZ top, Henry Gross...ok if anyone has ever heard of him that will be amazing. I don't know how i was able to find all those musicians growing up a girl in Alaska where we didn't really have any stores then...weird. No internet. I guess music was just my life. Period.
My first "record" was Beach Boys my brother gave me. then Steve Miller Band and Crosby, Stills and Nash (before Young)

I still love CSN. It's really fun to listen to all the music I listened to at age 12. I had a stereo and huge speakers and my drumset out in our garage and went crazy learning to drum like these guys.

can't remember if I mentioned Queens of the Stone Age...so great to work out to.

On a different note-there is a cross over band here in my city that plays classical music as alternative/rock. I'm sure he is youtube-able...my ex boyfriend is drummer for them. His name is Aaron Meyers. it's kinda cool and they do a nice xmas album.

Post subject: more music, please...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Ok, after the CeLo Green video F You!!! My new favorite song is from Florence+the Machine Dog Days are Done.
You Tube it. I'll try to upload it....

And, I forgot about...Collective Soul She Said and Georgia Girl

Next???

Post subject: dog days are over....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hmmmm still cannot get a youtube video here....the name of song is dog days are over FLorence +the machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU[/youtube]

Here you go chinagirl - I love this song too. To embed the video you just use the YouTube button; it will open up a dialog box and you just put the link there. If you have pop-up blocker you have to click on the thing at the top of your screen to allow scripted windows or it won't work.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks DOAQ!!

Post subject: My New Favorite Song
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so addicted to this song. I can't stop listening to it and I'm driving my family crazy!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ[/youtube]

-Jack Kornfield