It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, as you've seen from my last post, I am starting suboxone Saturday for my millionth and hopefully last time EVER. What I'm wondering from you all is what are the things that you would suggest I (or anyone) should have on hand to make the induction as smoooooth as possible. I know for some the induction process is easy and they feel great right after dosing, but this takes days for me.

What is your suboxone induction MUST HAVE list?

Mine right now consists of:
Advil
Sleeping pills
Nyquil
Valium
Weed
Suboxone

I don't mean to take everything in that list but they are all there just in case. What would you have on your list? I am very very interested because I, of course, want to make this as easy as possible. Is it important to stay hydrated? Would gatorade be helpful in that department? Just any little tips like that would be helpful to me and anyone else who is about to embark on this frightening journey. I also have Immodium but I am still unsure as to what it is supposed to do and how much to take so any advice on that would be appreciated too.

Thanks so much,
Pika

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi there Pika! I've been following you on this forum and know that you are supposed to induce tommorrow.
I am sooooo pulling for you!!! You just sound like you are totally ready, ya know?

Anyway, yeah, your list sounds good to me...The biggest things that bothered me were headaches, and not
sleeping. And you have both of those covered with the Advil, Valium, Sleeping Pills, and weed! Only thing that I
would add is that melatonin is all natural for sleep. I was like "whatever" when someone suggested it to me.
I actually was pleasantly suprised at how well it worked for me. I took 9mg instead of the suggested 3mg. That is
what I was advised to do. But I think that combined with the Valium, worked great for sleep.
The Valium will have you covered for any anxiety issues that may come up too. It hangs around in the body so
long, that even if you just take it once, at night, for no more than a week....you don't have to worry about
developing a dependency or addiction to them. Benzos can be scary shit....be careful.

I just wanted to tell you that I know that you are looking at POSSIBLY having a little bit of a rough time. So what
I would do in your shoes is add some of this stuff to my list......
~My favorite movies (preferably comedies) to occupy your mind
~My favorite books (or a nook, kindle~I love mine!) again to occupy the mind
~My best friends or family/support~anyone that you know that willl/can be there in a moments notice or
within a reasonable amount of time if you need the moral support/physical support
~MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC~an iPod, stereo, favorite CD's or whatever you need to listen to your fave music!!!
~Laptop/computer~ You are gonna need us!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D Post as often as you want!!!! Plus YouTube
has some great videos of people acting stupid, music, etc etc etc....

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know....

OH!~the immodium binds to the opiate receptors in the gastrointestinal tract. So it really does help with any kind
of withdrawal, and can really minimize the symptoms. Though it will not take them away. It does not cross
the blood/brain barrier, so you don't have to worry about it binding to the opiate receptors in your brain and
screwing with your suboxone, or induction...that's the laymans version right! LOL!

It is sooo exhausting trying to do this over and over, and trying to get it right! I've been there and done that
and don't ever wanna go back! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!! Good luck to you, and we are here if you need us....
Take Care~Kelly[/font]

Post subject: Quite a List
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hi Pika,

Why do you feel you need so much medical help for induction? You've been through it before so I'm guessing you had some trouble in the past. With me, all I needed was some Ambien which my doctor was hesitant to give me. He thought I'd get addicted to it like some others have. Nope, not me. I also was coming off of some Xanax but only 1mg a day taken once in the evening.

If you are really ready for recovery then I would avoid any mind altering substances like the weed or Valium. IMO, the best course of recovery is only taking the Suboxone w/o anything else. Then do the recovery work your doctor should be demanding of you. Playing around with other drugs does not solve an addiction problem. I will admit there have been some addicts that have proven me wrong by still smoking weed, but those are in the minority. I know what kind of addict I am. I'm the kind who ends up dead if he doesn't stop all mind altering substances. It is your recovery so do what you think is best.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All I ever needed was a toilet and a hot bath.

Post subject: Tinydancer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm 

Thanks for that visual! I'm still smiling as I type this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Goinstrong - Thanks so much for your input. Your suggestions have definitely been added to the list. It is important for me to remember the psychological side of this too! I am the QUEEN of psyching myself out, as you can probably tell, so in addition to preparing for the physical discomforts I really need to make sure that I keep my mind occupied with positive things. I will definitely keep you up to date on how I'm doing!

Rule62 - I feel that I need so much medical help because after so many years of heroin abuse AND suboxone abuse, I know myself really well. While in the beginning the switch to subs was easy and I could go out and have fun the same day of my induction, for whatever reason now it is a very difficult transition. And it is a transition that I have failed time and time again in the recent past because I have not given myself enough time, and in my opinion, did not set myself up as much as possible for success. At this point in my life this induction is a life or death situation. I cannot take this lifestyle anymore. I have gone to rehabs, have participated in many different drug programs and attended what feels like thousands of NA and AA meetings. I know what is suggested as far as complete sobriety goes, but I know MYSELF better. And this is what I know I need for this to be my final induction.

Tinydancer - I'm glad that you were able to be a minimalist in your own induction! I need to remember to take advantage of my bath tub. Hot baths always help but when I'm feeling miserable in the moment, for some reason I forget to do it. They really do help with the body aches though. And you can be assured that I have a toilet nearby.

Post subject: One More Thing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:30 pm 

Just keep in mind that all of us here at the forum will support you in whatever decision you make. You are correct, you know yourself better than anyone else so do whatever is necessary for a successful recovery.

Isn't is great to have a place to come where all the people understand you because we are all the same?

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

the list of meds that ive always used for withdrawals has been:

seroquel 25mg every 6 hours 50mg at night

flexeril 10 mg every 8 hours

clonodine .01mg once our twice a day

ativan 1mg twice a day

and its always been smoother that way...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a close friend who has been struggling with addiction for a few years now off and on. He was good, at least we thought he was choose for awhile, but now he is definitely doing heroin again. He has a script for suboxone and says he takes it but then after a week he gets cravings and goes back to the heroin...is this possible? I thought suboxone was supposed to help with the cravings, and withdrawal. Am I wrong and really confused?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anonymousplease wrote:
I have a close friend who has been struggling with addiction for a few years now off and on. He was good, at least we thought he was choose for awhile, but now he is definitely doing heroin again. He has a script for suboxone and says he takes it but then after a week he gets cravings and goes back to the heroin...is this possible? I thought suboxone was supposed to help with the cravings, and withdrawal. Am I wrong and really confused?

Suboxone does or should address cravings, but it won't address them properly if the person's dose isn't high enough. So that could be your friend's issue. Some people who've had problems relapsing while on suboxone have improved with a dose increase because it did address their cravings better.

Is your friend doing anything else for his addiction, like meetings or therapy or anything for additional support? He may need to consider putting more work into his recovery. Suboxone is great treatment and it does address cravings and stops withdrawals, but there are other things to addiction like self-destructive habits and poor coping skills and those things are not addressed by a medication.

Good luck to you and your friend. I hope this information is helpful to you. Prospero nuevo ano.