It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:46 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

So I got an oral syringe, it goes from 1ml - 10ml. So my plan is to crush an 8mg pill into fine powder, fill the syringe to exactly 10ml of water, then squirt the water into an empty nyquil bottle, mix with the powder, stir it a little maybe, then draw up the mixture, hopefully measuring back to exactly 10ml...( I hope I don't lose some from the nyquil bottle...but if I do, I can't imagine it being more than .2ml or something at the most...)

Now I can have accurate doses measured at exactly .4 mg / .5ml... luckily this syringe has markings for every .2ml...so between the 1 and the 2, there's 4 markings. So technically, every .2ml would measure out to...about .175 mg? Can someone help me with the math? Usually my mental math is spot on but this has me questioning myself...lol.

I plan to stay at .75 mg for about 4-5 days, then drop to .5 for 4 or 5 days, then .25 for a week or so, before stopping....reallllllly trying to minimize my WD's since I'll be incarcerated...:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

nevermind, I got it. You just divide .8 by 5, and it comes out to .16...so 160 micrograms per .2ml. My plan is to start at 1ml a day (.8mg, or 800 mcg) for about 4 or 5 days, then drop .2 ml...so if I stick with the plan, which I know will be hard...it will go...
4 days at .8mg

4 days at .64mg

4 days at .48mg

4 days at .32mg

1 week at .16mg

That comes out to a total of about 10 mgs

So that's a 23 day taper....I'm really hoping the drops are painless....I'm thinking about breaking up the doses to half in the AM half in the PM...just because taking my doses is something I look forward to throughout the day....I know, it's an addictive habit that I need to break, but I think it will help during the process...

Is it absolutely necessary to keep it cold? I can't really leave it in my fridge, since I have a roommate...do I need to keep a cooler in my car to store it? I will have to keep it in my car every day....

Post subject: Why are you quitting?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

slashNaxl wrote:
nevermind, I got it. You just divide .8 by 5, and it comes out to .16...so 160 micrograms per .2ml. My plan is to start at 1ml a day (.8mg, or 800 mcg) for about 4 or 5 days, then drop .2 ml...so if I stick with the plan, which I know will be hard...it will go...
4 days at .8mg

4 days at .64mg

4 days at .48mg

4 days at .32mg

1 week at .16mg

That comes out to a total of about 10 mgs

So that's a 23 day taper....I'm really hoping the drops are painless....I'm thinking about breaking up the doses to half in the AM half in the PM...just because taking my doses is something I look forward to throughout the day....I know, it's an addictive habit that I need to break, but I think it will help during the process...

Is it absolutely necessary to keep it cold? I can't really leave it in my fridge, since I have a roommate...do I need to keep a cooler in my car to store it? I will have to keep it in my car every day....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:46 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Going to jail in about 3 weeks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you can't keep it in the fridge, put a ml or 2 of vodka or something in the solution to keep it from getting funky. The alcohol will also (possibly, theoretically) help increase your absorption rate. Does burn a bit though.

I think it's ok to split your dose. Especially at these low doses, it wears off and can be hard to get to sleep if you don't dose in the evening. I split my dose all the way down to about 0.3 and then I dropped the morning dose and just took it all at night so I could sleep. Easier to deal with withdrawals in the daytime when you can distract yourself, easier to deal with life if you can get some rest.

Your taper is pretty fast. It took me way longer to go from 1mg to nothing and it still wasn't painless. It was uncomfortable at times, but not as bad as the flu. You can probably do it, you have a good motivator anyway, but you will have days when you don't feel so hot.

I would try to work out your timing so you're not spending the first part of your jump in jail though. Maybe try to tough it out and speed it up a bit so that you've been totally off the Sub for at least a week before you go in? That way you can do that hardest part of the jump while you're at home still and have access to more comforts. (Walks, hot baths, good meals, fun distractions, etc.) Anyway, it's not going to be painless however you do it and if it was me I'd want to suffer in privacy rather than in jail, for whatever that's worth.

Stay positive and let us know how it goes. Take care of yourself. And try to get some clonidine, it will help.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What if you got it as low as you can and then told the jail as they remanded you that you were in withdrawal? My wife's a nurse at the jail and the majority of people that come in there are in W/D. They won't give you subs because they just can't afford another expense- but they will give you a Librium cocktail the first 12 or so days you're in there. Not sure if that's something you'd consider - it will knock you out that's for sure. Not sure if that would help you but they're not gonna just let you suffer. It wouldn't be as nice as doing it at home with the comforts of home- but it just might get you over the hump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Diary of a quitter- I have been keeping it in a cooler in my car for the past 2 days... At night I hide it in my fridge then put it in the cooler when I leave for work. I am thinking about quitting sooner, like you said... It's just so damn hard. I've been on less than 1mg for about a week, and my total duration of use is relatively short... About 3 months or so... So I'm thinking about just taking my .16 mg doses whenever I need to... Hopefully 2 or 3 times a day for the first 10 days or so then cutting it down to 1 or 2 times a day.

Getting meds in jail is not an option at the jail I'm going to... And I can't tell them that I'm going through WDs... It's complicated but I just can't. So I have to do it on my own. I am thinking about telling my sub doc that I'm going to jail, so hopefully he'll help me out with some comfort meds, like clonodine or a benzo. Don't wanna burn my bridges with him though because I plan on going back to him once I get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Keep telling yourself that just because something is hard, doesn't mean you can't do it. Having a strong positive attitude goes a long way in this process.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

is it a good idea to tell my sub doc that im going to jail in a couple weeks, and ask for some comfort meds so I can avoid the worst of the withdrawal while in jail? I have my appointment on Monday, and i was able to take off work for the week, so if he would prescribe me some benzos or something, so I can get through the worst of it during that week, it would help me tons...i just dont know if he'll see things the way i do...dont wanna burn bridges, as I plan on going back to him once I get out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You asked what we thought about you telling your doctor about going to jail. My question to you would be, was it related to your addiction at all? Was it something that he could use to terminate you from his program, even when you get out? If I were your doctor, that would be my first question: What were you convicted of?

That said, even if that's the case, it still might be best to be up front with him. An honest relationship with one's sub doctor is really best and you would have access (hopefully) to those comfort meds. You are the one that knows your doctor, so ultimately it's your call. Just something to think about.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

slashNaxl wrote:
is it a good idea to tell my sub doc that im going to jail in a couple weeks, and ask for some comfort meds so I can avoid the worst of the withdrawal while in jail? I have my appointment on Monday, and i was able to take off work for the week, so if he would prescribe me some benzos or something, so I can get through the worst of it during that week, it would help me tons...i just dont know if he'll see things the way i do...dont wanna burn bridges, as I plan on going back to him once I get out...

If you have a good relationship with your doctor I think this would be a very good idea. If I were you, I would try to get off the Sub for a week before you go in. Just get aggressive with the detox. That is just me though. Some comfort meds, even something like clondine and vistaril might really help. I am sorry to hear about your situation and I will keep you in my thoughts. Hopefully when you say "jail" you are being specific and have County time, not Prison time.