It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Have you had success with liquid taper method?
Yes: Describe your method 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
No: Describe what happened 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Hello all. My liquified sub taper is going pretty well so far. My doctor appointment was positive also. I am starting this new topic to journal how the taper goes. Thanks again to those who replied to my request for the taper method original post. Oh... I also should mention that the Dr. was so impressed and excited about this method that he is implementing it in his new state of the art facility!! He is having his compounding pharmacist create liquified doses individually for each patient. This could actually be the answer for so many people (like me) who just can't seem to find success with the usual taper of 2mg every other day or some version of that. I'm going to email Dr. with my updates, withdrawl symptoms, etc. (and hopefully eventual complete success at tapering!) - and I gave Dr. the website so he can see just what a great resource it is for himself. Point is: Dr. J and this website are Godsends that have far reaching benefits for so many addicts and I'm super greatful! Good luck to everyone in whatever phase of treatment you're in. Suboxone is such a wonderful medication for treating opiate addiction and if we can find a universally effective way to taper successfully, that could eliminate one of the major downfalls/stumbling blocks that suboxone patients face!

As of yesterday, I am down to 300 mcg daily. I'm going a bit quicker than the suggested 7 to 10 days as I'm just going by what my body is telling me. I went from 800 mcg daily to 600 mcg to 400 mcg daily within about 10 days. I have to break the daily dose into am and pm doses since it begins to wear off late in the day and I get all the withdrawl misery of sneezing, runny nose, yawning, grumpy and agitated, and that awful anxiety - jump out of your skin feeling (albiet a milder version of the anxiety). The reason I've dropped so quickly is that I found I could go later and later waiting for the evening dose which I interpreted as meaning I could probably go lower with minimal effects. I can't seem to skip the evening dose altogether as I end up sweating and soaking my pj's and bedsheets if I go without (I HATE the sweating!). Some benefits I've found to the liquified taper is that 1) it doesn't have the bad taste at all YAE!! 2) My constipation has improved ALOT which is so good as it was getting really really bad (I actually looked pregnant, no joke!) 3) this is embarrassing but my inability to reach orgasm (which was not a problem for me at all prior to using opiates and subsequently suboxone) has improved WOOHOO, good gracious (the writer is blushing). I'm looking forward to not having to be sick unless I take a medication that I have to jump thru hoops to get. My current solution is made with 40 mL filtered water and one 8mg suboxone pill. I'm using the whole 8mg pill rather than break it into 2mg / 4mg / 6mg pieces as there is no way to break the pill exactly accurately. My concern is that an inaccurate dose would just make the taper more difficult if not impossible. Dissolving the 8mg pill in such a large volume of water does not seem to diminish the effectiveness of the dose at all. I just have to keep it in a larger container in the refrigerator now. I use a small tuperware container. This current solution gives me a dose of 200 mcg per mL. So I'm taking 1 mL in the morning (200 mcg) and 1/2 mL in the evening (100 mcg) for a total of 300 mcg daily. I'm really anxious to make the jump and get off entirely but that's the addict in me (I want what I want when I want it - NOW) and I have enough suboxone to go as low as I need to so I'm going to try to go to at least 100 mcg daily before I stop. I do find it necessary to take 5 to 10 mg of Ambien to sleep at night and I have been waking in the middle of the night the past several nights, but at least I'm getting enough sleep which is (I think) so important in getting through this. Other than that, I take 1200 mg of neurontin daily which I think might be a big component in why this is going so smoothly thus far. I also take synthroid for a long standing thyroid problem, and wellbutrin and zoloft for my diagnosed major depression. I have prescriptions for clonodine and bentyl which I don't find a need for right now but will be useful if needed when I make the final jump off suboxone completely. I do go to local NA meetings, have a home group and sponsor, and have gone through IOP and OP and now individual sessions for both drug and alcohol and depression/anxiety. These tools as well as weekly Church attendance and exercise (walking a mile about 4 times per wk) and trying to have a healthier diet (cutting out soda and cutting back on sweets, caffeine, butter, etc.) are probably helping too. Whatever works for a person that helps lower stress and improve mood and attitude can only be a benefit in trying to taper successfully. I know reading other's posts on here has inspired and encouraged me so much - that's why I thought I would journal my experience here too. Best wishes to everyone! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Checking in with taper progress. I've been able to decrease my daily dose of the liquified taper rather quickly. I just go by what my body is telling me. I wait as long as I can to take my dose in the morning and again wait as long as possible in the evening. I'm happy to report that yesterday I was down to 50 mcg in the am and 50 mcg in the pm. There was definately a little bit of discomfort during the day - very vague but real - and I found myself sitting around all day, down - but not extremely depressed - feeling a small amount of bone aches and that weird anxiety that only withdrawl produces. I started the sneezing later in the evening. At dinnertime, I was able to get up and dressed and tidy up the house, do a load of laundry. I ate a small dinner (my only meal of the day) at around 9:30 pm.

Thank God for my wonderful bf who is sooooo understanding and doesnt give me much of a hard time about not functioning at 100% right now. I know if I had someone judging and angry at me thru this process, it would be so much harder. He is on sub also and not anywhere near tapering. He has been an opiate addict for many yrs. and had almost 8 yrs clean when we got together. He relapsed about a year after we got together, and that was a hell ride for the next year and a half ending with me getting on opiates and crack for the last 3 mos of his "run". We both nearly died more than once and ultimately, seeing eachother in that state was a big part of what made us stop. Anyhow, the point about him is that the sub is a good tool for him right now and maybe forever because of his long history and heavy use, etc. The thing I hate is that his sub (8 to 12 mg daily) makes him nod when he sits down in the evening. I know for sure its his sub and he's tried adjusting dose, etc. but it just knocks him out at the end of the day after work and I hate seeing him do that (it reminds me of the using days). Sub never ever made me nod or even get tired really and I was on up to 24 mg a day! Proof that everybody is different!

Back to my taper (sorry for digressing - I do that all the time, arghhh) After a total of 100 mcg yesterday and mild discomfort, I am sitting here at 1pm and still have not felt the need to dose!!! I'm almost positive I won't get thru the whole day without having to dose, and when the withdrawls hit from total lack of sub in my system (no matter how small the amount), they are just too much to deal with. At this point, though, if I had a week or so to just sit around and baby myself, I could probably stop right now and just tough it out (Because its not really that bad compared to stopping at 1 mg). But I don't have that option, we start moving into our new house this weekend and my sons are home all weekend so I need to be able to function.

Anyhow, to sum it up I got down from 800 mcg a few weeks ago to 100 mcg yesterday and today so far nothing. Just wanted to let those who are trying this method know that it IS working well and soooo much better than a jump from 1 mg or higher. I've read alot of posts from people who've also had success and they are the ones who inspired me. Huge thanks to "Diary of a Quitter", "Bronzebeta", "Annmarie", and... darn, I can't remember the names of the others right now but Thanks so much guys for letting us know it can be done. I wouldn't be at this positive place if it weren't for you!

Bobbi