It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Lilly's Taper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got my first prescription for 2mg films today, so I figured now would be a good time to start a taper thread instead of posting all over the board.
I had planned on going back down to 2mg after I took higher doses for pain over the week-end, but I haven't gotten there yet. The thing is, now that I only have 30 2mg films I'm going to be forced to go down, and for me that's good. It was easy to "cheat" when I was cutting up the 8mg strips.
Also, I while back, someone wrote how freaking small the 2mg strips were. So I was pleasantly supprized to find they are the same size as the 8mg strips. So it looks like it will be pretty easy to cut them into 4 or 8 pieces.
So, I'm not in a huge hurry, but the doc seemed to think I would be able to get down to 1mg by the end of the month.
:)

Oh, BTW I asked about Clonidine for the first time, and I told the doc I had borderline low blood pressure, so he thought it wouldn't be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:53 pm 
If I can do it so can you because I have the worst PTSD from cold turkey withdrawal and am a HUGE big baby.

Go slow, there is no reason to rush. My advice is to slow it down at 2mg if you are symptomatic. I was totally ok to 1mg then started having w/d sx, albeit minor. I am now on 0.0150mg for the next 3 days. I know, nuts right? I have the liquid.

I have low b/p too. I took .5mg......... one half the dose of clonidine at bedtime with no problems. I was just careful to hold on to stuff to go to the bathroom. I got used to it in 3 days, no dizziness, only dry mouth. Helped the symptoms, chills, sweats, anxiety, shaking, cramps...

GO SLOW and I am anxious to follow your progress. I am doing great and having very minimal symptoms.

XOXO great blog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 am 
Hi Lilly! You're sounding good! I'm glad you went ahead and got the 2mg films. It may have been me who mentioned how tiny the 2mg are, but I was referring to the Suboxone tablets. For whatever reason, my doctor has never insisted that I switch to films. He even let me go to generic Subutex quite some time ago because I reminded him that I pay out of pocket and the generic saved me some cash. Anyway....last visit I told him I wanted off and he wrote me for the 2mg tabs. I think he forgot about me being on the generic Subutex and he wrote me for Suboxone 2mg. I didn't bother to have it switched as I only was getting #30 and it never made any difference to me whether it was Suboxone or Subutex (other than cost.)
For me, it has helped to use ONLY the 2mg tabs and put away all the 8mg tabs I have stockpiled. I have broken up every 2mg tab into 4 pieces and then break them again into about the tiniest pieces I can get them. I believe none of the pieces are more than approximately 0.25mg. This way when I dose with ONLY one little piece at a time, I can be more confident that I'm not getting more than I really want or need.....much moreso than I did with breaking up the 8mg tabs. The other thing I have done is that I have moved my Suboxone from my bedside table drawer to a high linen closet shelf in my bathroom. I know it sound silly, but it has actually made a difference....just making it a little more time consuming, more time to think before reaching for that dose.
Sorry...back to you, Lilly! You might remember that I've gone quickly down to 2mg/day from higher doses before and it wasn't too bad. I just had some sweats and dysphoria (what else is new?) with the big drops in dosage, but nothing unbearable if you can stick it out for a while. I think you will notice a difference in your work, etc by being only on 2mg vs higher doses. For me, though, after a while on 1mg or 2mg/day, it was back to the same ole thing......wanting to come on off completely. But that's just me, at this time.....
You know I'm rooting for you as you continue to taper!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: LILLY!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

CONGRATS!
I am about to get the 2mg films tomorrow or next week. I will taper down to 3mg for 2 weeks then stabilize at 2mg for about a month. THEN, I will cut down to 1mg for 2 weeks, then .5 or jump. I may jump in Nov if not Dec.
When are you jumping? What is your ideal goal?
YAY!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Best of luck to you Lilly you can do this just stay strong. I mean you have read my methadone switch thread I did a 2 week taper from 24mgs and was suboxone free for 5 or 6 days till I started methadone and the last day was really not that bad and I mean I was on 24mg so if you are 2mg you can do it. I mean it is not that bad and look at the upside of things sure you will be sick for a lil bit but you will soon be free of suboxone. Which is what you want so badly so just keep that in mind because having a goal during a taper is huge in my opinion, mine was to be able to start methadone you’re is whatever you want it to be and I promise you this will help ease some of the stress and pain.

See I was much different with my taper I wanted it to get it over with as quick as possiable which is why I jumped from 24 to 0 so quick. But the quicker I did this the sooner it would be over with.

PS
like i said day 5 or 6 of my detox was not that bad at all if i didnt have pain issues all i could think about was biteing the bullet and just being opiate free. so the real hard part will not take as long as you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Since I'm in the direct path of Irene I've spent the last 2 days making preparations. I live on a dirt road and have a 400 foot well w/an electric pump. Since I've lived in this town for 20 years and never was without power for an extended period of time, I never bothered getting a generator. So I've been storing a lot of water. I'll be alone w/my two kids for the duration, as my husband is a first responder and is already gone for the week-end. The immediate result of all this is that my foot pain is through the roof, I'm taking 2mg every 6 hours and my taper is on the back burner again.
If I do lose power I'm pretty sure it will take them a week to get to me, as I'm pretty remote and they fix the most populated areas first. So I could be off the grid for a while, a week or more. I wish all of you in harms way the best of luck. Stay safe,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lillyval wrote:
Since I'm in the direct path of Irene I've spent the last 2 days making preparations. I live on a dirt road and have a 400 foot well w/an electric pump. Since I've lived in this town for 20 years and never was without power for an extended period of time, I never bothered getting a generator. So I've been storing a lot of water. I'll be alone w/my two kids for the duration, as my husband is a first responder and is already gone for the week-end. The immediate result of all this is that my foot pain is through the roof, I'm taking 2mg every 6 hours and my taper is on the back burner again.
If I do lose power I'm pretty sure it will take them a week to get to me, as I'm pretty remote and they fix the most populated areas first. So I could be off the grid for a while, a week or more. I wish all of you in harms way the best of luck. Stay safe,
Lilly

BE SAFE. I am taking my time, tough my doctor is a power freak and doesnt care about the patients. blah. ready to be done.
good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenzo, if you don't mind sharing, what did your doc tell you to do? Just curious as i believe you should be in control and taper by what you are comfortable with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Hi Jenzo, if you don't mind sharing, what did your doc tell you to do? Just curious as i believe you should be in control and taper by what you are comfortable with.

She basically wanted to taper me off completely in a month because I calmly** brought up that the fact that I showed up for my appt with her , she decided to take a lunch break. like I dont have a life and can wait for 3 hours for her fat ass (excuse me) to get to me when she feels. So, I mentioned it and said it felt a little impersonal and unprofessional. I dont really want to get into it because it was so exhausting. Anyway, she decided to play the power freak and say well you can go find a different doctor then. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed clear communication and a good plan.

Anyway, she told me to taper to 3mg for a month-well that is feeling too much. I am going to taper to 2mg. I dont know if I will feel sick in a few days due to the half life thing, but that was why i was wondering if I should every other day 2mg/3mg for a week? I took 4mg yesterday, 3mg today. All too strong.
Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, Lilly! I will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family thru this storm. I hope it is not too bad and stay safe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Lilly, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers too!! Stay safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:43 am 
Hang in babe and keep us posted, we will keep your blog warm. xxxooo

robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys, I'm able to post because I'm at work. I have no power (which means no water) and I had no phone OR CELL for two days. Luckily, I have a great neighbor who came to my door to tell me that school was cancelled Monday. I like to think of myself as pretty tough, but this has been much more stressful than I could have imagined. I spend a LOT of time hauling in water by the bucketful to flush toilets and whatnot (I have a deep respect for women in developing countries who haul water every day). And yesterday i finally had to break down and throw out the rest of my food in my fridge/freezer even thiugh i made a valiant effeort to cook or put on ice everything i could.

Oddly, the worst part is that 90% of my area is back up and running and employers/schools have no interest in or compassion for what people are going through. On the first day of school my son had to do a 5 paragraph typed essay, which he managed on two different laptops w/dying batteries, but couldn't print, and did everything by candlelight. We did the best we could, but one of his teachers made a big deal of giving him a ZERO for one small thing he didn't hand in. I wanted to contact her but didn't have phone or e-mail.

My taper has gone by the wayside. My foot pain flared up again and I started taking 2mg every 6 hours, and even after the pain subsided I have been just too stressed to think about tapering. The problem is, I had just gotten a script for 30 2mg
films for the month, and I've taken ~21 already so I'm almost out. I put a call into my doctor and I have high hopes that he
will understand and call in more (it was MY idea to taper).
I hope all of you are safe and well. I haven't had time to check the other threads (cuz I just blabbed on about myself for the few minutes I had). I hope to be back up and running by Saturday the latest.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly, you just can't catch a break, can you? I'm so sorry you're going through all this (as well as others in your position). You're in a position where you must do what you must do in order to care for yourself so that you can care for your family. If that means putting your taper on the back burner, then that's your decision and you can always go back to it. Like you said, it's YOUR decision. And putting it on the back burner is just temporary. So please don't get too discouraged. I know you can still do this.

Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you can get your utilities back on and quickly! Hang in there - you're obviously a very strong person and that's keeping you and your family going. Remember that. I'll be thinking of you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 am 
Oh Lilly! It's so good to hear from you. I had been wondering how you were, with your concerns about the storm coming. It sounds like, unfortunately things turned out sort of like you had feared. It sucks having no power! But it sounds like you are handling things really well, all things considered. I hope things get back to normal soon for you guys.
As for having to put your taper on the back burner. Please don't feel bad about it. You've been hit with too much for this to be an optimal time for a serious taper. I know from my own past experiences with tapering, that if the timing isn't pretty much the 'best' that it possibly can be (as there is no actual 'perfect' time...lol,) the taper probably will not progress well. So why put yourself through that? Just wait until the storm has passed (literally and figuratively) and try again then.
For me, one of the good things that I discovered along my way on Sub for these two years....with my several attempts at tapering....each one made me actually feel a little stronger, that I would eventually be able to do it and finish it. I learned that while tapering was uncomfortable and messed with my head a bit, I was still able to do it and it wasn't just horrendous at any point, and I was still able to function day-to-day. Having been through that a few times, I think, has given me confidence that I can do it, at least to whatever dose to which I had tapered before. And so this time tapering, I've actually gotten my dose down the lowest that I ever have before and I'm tolerating it reasonably well. I've also learned that, for me (as I've heard from others as well) the lower I get with that dose, the more difficult it tends to get. So I'm glad that I've tapered and "failed" before because it's ended up giving me more confidence and it's given me the knowledge of what it's like and what to prepare for and stuff like that. Anyway, I'm just encouraging you to try to keep a positive attitude about what has happened with your taper. I believe it's very important to get the timing as right as you can. It's just not worth it to put yourself through a real difficult time when things are already busy and stressful for you, and if your still having pain with your feet. This will work out for you when the time is right and I know that you know that.
Mostly, I'm happy that you and your family are safe! Praying your power is restored soon! And that your doctor is understanding and gets your script taken care of so you'll have enough medication. Thanks for checking in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 am 
Lilly I am so glad you are OK Do what you need to do. Take GOOD care,
xoxo Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, Lilly. I'm sorry for all this trouble but relieved for you that you are okay. The thing about your son and having to type a paper on two dying laptops by candlelight.....ridiculous! I'm all the way out west and we know you guys are been through so much and don't need any additional, unnecessary stress. What a weird teacher...

What SMF said is right on. I've learned pretty much the same things she spoke of. It's not a failure or a setback when you have to alter your plans, including tapering plans. I think you are way ahead of the game, because you are able to be reasonable when it isn't working and take a break without simply throwing your hands up and saying, "See, this isn't working exactly how I planned, so I'll never be able to do it!" You are acting like a responsible, rational person...imagine that! LOL! You will get to it when it works with your life and your body (and when you aren't getting hit with crazy storms.) We have to live in today and not for what we want to happen within the next month/two months/etc.

I'm just glad you are okay and your family is okay.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the support you guys. I posted the following under the hurricane Irene thread, but for the sake of continuity I thought I should copy it here:

I'm sorry for what johnboy had to go through and I feel awful about what has happened in VT, a state I love very much. I am in CT and just got my power and water back late last night, so I've spent today trying to get my life back together. None of it really affected my Sub treatment, other than that I had just gotten down to 2mg in my taper, and for various reasons (stress being #1) I have been taking as much as 6mg/day. So now I am almost out, and after 3 calls to my doctor, he seems unwilling to give me an early refill. For what reason I have no idea, as he has always been helpful and understanding in the past, and it was my choice to taper. So now I am faced with being totally OUT of Subs w/in three days. I'm sure I can get it straightened out with a face to face visit, but I'm unhappy I have to go that route since I was just in for an appt. on Aug. 24 and the doc. is a 40 min. drive each way.
But in the sceme of things I feel pretty lucky. I know a lot of people have suffered much worse.

Post subject: Cut off from Sub at 4mg
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After the last post I did go to my doc and he have me another 30 2mg strips, and I had planned to get back down to 2mg. In the meantime I leveled off at 4mg, and I had kind of just resigned myself to the fact that winter's coming, this was supposed to be a "spring" taper, and I'll probably just stay on 4mg or less over the winter.

So I called my doc (who has in no way been trying to force me to taper) and I'm told that he currently does not have a DEA number. (I mentionned before that there was something "off" about his office).
So I have 2 2mg strips left and will not be getting a refill. I know it's gonna be OK, but I was already upset about a few other things, so I've just been sitting here crying for the last half hour.
I know Romeo, Brian_TX and substation just did it, so I guess I can too. I just wasn't ready for it to be this abrupt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly, you do not have to stop, I am confused. they said your Dr. no longer has a DEA number? I would demand an answer as to what happened and if nothing else a letter explaining that I was a patient and that I was abruptly cut off do to this and go to the ER, I know you are not supposed to lie but sometimes you are put in a position where you may have to. If the Dr. does not state your dose on this letter I would tell the ER I was on 8 or even 16mg a day. I would think with proof you should have no problem getting them to prescribe you the 3 days they are aloud since your health is at risk by no fault of your own. That could give you time to find a new Sub Doc. This is absolute bullshit and do not accept it.

Yes, you can do it if you have to but you should not be forced into this. It will be hard and I hate to see you suffer unecesarily because of some quack Dr. I do not think they are aloud to just cut you off like this without a referal to another Dr. or something. I am sure someone with a better understanding of the law will post. I am so sorry you are going thru this, my heart goes out to you!