It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Great............
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I bet you will go down to 3mg soon... Great job NOT going to 6mg... Junkie, read the post the subdoc just wrote to the guy off sub for 5 weeks... Dont get me wrong I love the subdoc, but he is a hard ass on this site !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's great to hear everything that has happened! Evidently I was writing my previous reply at the same time that you posted yours - but hopefully you got the idea anyway.

This is once again a great story for others to get awesome information from. First, it is a wonderful story of how if we as patients are honest with the docs that treat us, very good things will often happen. In this case, it seems like this doc wants to stick with his plan of not keeping a patient for life. However, he seems very willing to come up with other solutions for you. He also is very willing to keep you on as a patient and move you back up to a higher dose. It seems to me that his only concern is to not keep a well-functioning patient for life. He will not, however, kick you to the curb. That is clear. He is also very willing to work with you for a longer frame of time.

Second, the doc was very happy with your honesty if even a bit surprised about how you came forward PRIOR to a relapse. I wrote about this exact topic on another thread a few days ago. Most of the docs that I know (most all of whom do not have Suboxone certification) want to do the right thing. They did not go to medical school for all those years for the privilege to be jerks to their patients and make their life worse. Most care a whole bunch more than you may think that they do. When we as patients are honest and involved in our recovery, most docs will more than hold up their end of the bargain. This is a perfect case.

Third, even though 6 mg was the spot where Junkie started having more problems, his body has already adjusted to where 4 mg is enough. He may soon go down to 3 mg. This is a good example that our bodies and our brains will start to heal if given enough time. His body has started that healing which is why he can get the same results from less medication. Sort of the inverse of the tolerance we all had from opiates.

At some point you may be able to stop your Suboxone and actually feel good and normal. You may actually be a great candidate for naltrexone. Or, perhaps you may need to stay on Suboxone for a lot longer or for life. Either way, who cares? Keep your eye on the goal. I always told my employees that I cared much less about how they got to the goal, just that they got there. Don't worry so much about how you stay clear of opiates - just so long as you do.

Junkie, with your history, etc. you are a huge inspiration to all sorts of people - myself included. I have lost a pretty high profile job as the CEO or an organization because of my drug abuse. Hearing that even after all you have gone through, you got back to that level of profession is a great motivator for me. Hearing how you actively stepped up to stop a potential relapse is great motivation for many to hear. Seeing how you worked WITH your doctor to change your treatment plan is again a big motivation.

I hope you are extremely proud of yourself - because you should be. Your's is a great story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey, 781. I just read your opening statement. I feel your pain. Just wanted to give you my welcome the forum and I hope everything works out to you. I'm sure you got lots of good feedback in between your first post and this one. A couple things I would add, is if you find yourself unable to continue Suboxone, you should give NA another try. If you went there a bunch, I know you saw people staying clean and met people with similar stories. It aint easy, but it can work. If you did not, then you either haven't really been much or you live in a really small town. Secondly, if you choose to stay on Suboxone, and that certainly sounds like it might be a good idea for you, I'd try it at 2mg. It seems like everything I've read indicates that the once you've tapered down to 2mg, you don't really get much effect at greater amounts, and that way you would reduce the negative effects on your body and brain to a minimum. Good luck!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Went back and saw your history of tapering. That's actually really fast for someone who has been on Suboxone so long. The doc hear suggests a 10% reduction every 2 weeks, and to skip a cycle if you get into trouble. So that's something else to think about.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tapered down to 3mg, and I feel ok. I think I'll hover here for a few months.