It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My boss just called, and one of my friends is calling me right now, except I have a mouth full of subliva so I've had to let the phone calls go. It's kinda annoying! Especially when I'm working in a field where I have to be "on call" through the day, and get phone calls from my boss in the evening. Not answering my phone is kinda unreliable. But what do I say if I do answer? Sorry ... I have a mouthfull of medication... wtf?

It's made me think ... I knew a guy who used to just swallow his Subutex. He said it worked just fine doing that. What if I took like 24 or 32mg's and just swallowed it instead? Would I get the same effect? Where I'm from, we don't have to pay any extra for higher doses.

But the main purpose of this post is to vent. Has anyone else got this annoying problem? I keep having to msg people on my phone "sorry can't talk right now but blah blah blah". Does anyone have a way to deal with this annoying problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes!! Unfortunately, I know exactly what you're talking about and it drives me crazy. It is like taking this medication is an event that involves having to plan a 30 minute window that you won't be bothered. When it happens to me I usually text them immediately and tell them I can't talk. They usually don't ask why but if they do I tell the ones who know I’m on suboxone straight up, but for the others it’s more difficult. You could say you’re in a loud area or in an area where talking on your cell is prohibited. It is incredibly frustrating.

How long does it usually take you? For me, the sub dissolves no longer after 5 minutes and I keep the "subliva" (great term by the way) sitting in my mouth. I can keep a basic conversation for that first 5 minutes but after that it is impossible. I sometimes have to plan part of the dosing in public which sucks. It's so incredibly irritating, but if the call is extremely urgent you have no other choice than to swallow. It's certainly gotten better though compared to the tablets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm 

My 14 year old son is an EXPERT at figuring out what I'm saying with a mouth full of sub! He can usually figure it out right away, but even if he doesn't, he eventually comes up with it. My husband, on the other hand, has no idea what I'm trying to say, even if it's obvious. My son is usually the translator.

I have actually been on the phone, having a long (mostly one-way) conversation with a friend, and taken my medication without thinking about it. Then, suddenly, I'm like, "Hmsfjeihruhg!" and she knows I've taken my meds! It's pretty funny!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

HUGE HASSLE! Almost every day there is some kind of distraction for me. I think in time there will be some way around this via new routs of administration available in the future but for now it SUCKS! When Sub first hit the market I was on it for a short period of time and not EVER being able to get good absorbtion was a factor in my switching to methadone and other opioids for a few years.

Travis

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject: totally feel you
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a 5 year old and a 10 year old(boys) and an 11 year old and 19 year old (step daughters). It really sucks not being able to talk to them, get on to them, stop them from doing something they shouldn't. when my husband is home its not so bad, but when he is gone i have to make my son read out what i type in note pad. it is really hard when he has friends over because i dont want to tell them what i am on. I can not stand it. i hope they find a better way soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Stick the film between your upper lip and gum. I shoot for the space right above my pointed (canine??)teeth. It stays there, disolves very slowly and you get awesome absorbtion and u can talk or even take a drink (thru a straw) without worrying about it! Give it a try...jst be sure to place it high enough so that it doesn't stick to your teeth. Let me know what u think if u d try it!

Post subject: amy
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I will definitely try that. My doc gives me a few extra a month and i just went to the doc so i should have enough to try it. you know i saw a guy online that posted that he was experimenting with taking narcotics after staying off his subs for a few days to see how long it takes for other drugs to work "in order to show people that they should not go back to drugs" i am pretty sure that guy just screwed his life up because my doc test me every visit. I thought they all did. Am I wrong about that?

Amy14921978 wrote:
Stick the film between your upper lip and gum. I shoot for the space right above my pointed (canine??)teeth. It stays there, disolves very slowly and you get awesome absorbtion and u can talk or even take a drink (thru a straw) without worrying about it! Give it a try...jst be sure to place it high enough so that it doesn't stick to your teeth. Let me know what u think if u d try it!

Post subject: New Word
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm 

I believe Wiki will adapt "Subliva" for an actual word if we keep using it. You're talking about the tabs, right TJ? No problem with my films as I am a jabbermouth and can't keep quiet long enough for it to melt.

A big welcome to krikit for joining our forum! And no, not all doctors test each visit. Mine checks randomly. In the last year I've been tested twice. One was an oral mouth swab. The other was a regular UA. My last doctor checked me 3-4 times in my first year of Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone 3 years and have only been tested once. I don't know why they don't test more. I thought they had to test more than that, but I don't know what the suboxone rules are for doctors. Does anybody know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think most doctors test monthly because mine always tells me if he didn't drug test me and was audited he could get into trouble. More recently I have come to think that he drug tests all of his patients to develop more revenue. He used to have us do a drug test once every 2 months at an unaffiliated lab, but he now does them in his office to bring in more money. Although this is my speculation I hope there aren't too many others who have doctors like this.

Does anyone else get somewhat of a numb tongue from having the subliva in their mouth?

Krikit, I laughed when i read, "It really sucks not being able to talk to them, get on to them, stop them from doing something they shouldn't." I can just imagine how that goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL...Subliva. It is quite an artform learning to make yourself understood without moving your tongue! I rely heavily on eye-contact with my kids during dosing. It's amazing how well a sideways look can stop them in their tracks...especially when you add in a forcefull finger point!

Fireman, I have noticed the numbing in my mouth after dosing too. I have often wondered if it was from the citric acid.

And as for the drug screens...my doctor does one EVERY visit. But I understand that other doctors in my area don't. I'm assuming it is more about preference than regulation. My doctor is extremely strict, he has a ZERO tolerance policy for drug use while in treatment. One dirty UA and he will kick you out. I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle a relapse...but it does make you think twice before you are tempted to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Subliva!! Why didnt i think of that! Lol. It is awfully annoying, trying to keep all the liquid in your mouth. I laughed so hard reading the stories and imagining those guys trying to disipline their children with the sub in their mouth, and then amy with the phone conversation " hbskcjcnsksjjnc!!" im sure thats what i sound like, cuz no one can understand me. I try to take my sub before i go to work but sometimes i dont get a chance, and then when i start interacting with customes and coworkers it sound like i have a speech problem " ca i hep ou" lol.

Ive read before that the reason you cant swallow the sub is because of your stomach acid, it will destroy the drug. Anybody know if that is correct? When qhorse mentioned the citric acid it made me wonder "is it citrus flavored for a reason, like to make the drug a little less potent?" Btw i HATE that orange flavor, it reminds me of the flouride rinse they used to make us take once a week in grade school. Maybe one day there will be more flavors, that would be awesome!! Like you can go to the pharmacy to pick up your subs and they ask "would you like, orange, blueberry, strawberry, or banana?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Do people get orange flavored suboxone? My strips are lemon lime flavored and taste like stale sprite. When I first started I couldn't stand the taste. Now I don't even notice it I'm so used to it. Lol.

As far as drug testing my doctor only does it randomly. I think you would catch more people that way. If you were testing every month people would know they were going to get tested and plan accordingly. If they were tested randomly they would not think they would be tested and then surprise drug test. Am I making sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Subliva. There's a neologism that must have come in a fleeting moment of creativity. Might put it in Urban Dictionary and keep it real.

I tried placing the strips in the upper gum like Amy suggested. Worked a treat. But there's something awkwaard about doing it in a chemist in front of a queue of senior citizens who struggle to keep their falsies in place. I can't help but have a slightly guilty feeling, like I'm taking my gums for granted?

Since I've gone back on the Sub after my attempt at jumping off (aka relapse), Subliva has been more of a problem. It's like my mouth fills up with saliva a lot faster than it did previously. It's getting a bit better each day, and the gum trick has helped a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:11 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Squeaky, as far as random drug testing, do you mean getting called randomly and come in to take the drug test whenever or random within each doctor visit?

I've never had a problem with the taste of suboxone, but then again i don't mind the citrus like flavor regularly. For the people that are unsatisfied with the taste, is it because you hate the flavor in general? It don't taste good but I'm more neutral with it than I 'like' it and its certainly better than the odd chemical taste of subutex.

The drug testing is definitely a preference like you said horsegal, but I'm not sure how serious and dedicated a doctor is if they dont. If its not in writing that they do have to test every 'x' amount of months and they have a high percentage of relapse then that doctor could get in deep shit with the DEA. Maybe if its bad enough after a warning he could probably lose his license. I get the feeling that some doctors could care less about the patient and just do the bare minimum for their convenience to bring in extra money.

Post subject: McTruedat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just had to reply to this even though I'm a good 7 months late (I just joined today)

GOD it feels good to find some folks who GET IT.

I work in an office that requires me to answer my phone if someone calls. I have 11 employees working for me (they are field reps so they work all over California and contact me by phone only) so I have to be available at all times. I am often tempted to pull my phone off the hook but I just can't.

Sure, I try to take my 1st dose before work but that rarely happens. So I try to plan throwing it in it during a time of the day where I know I probably won't be bothered for at least 30 minutes.

Welp, so many times have I popped in my 2 mgs, let it rest in peace for about 10 minutes (and it gets to that point where it is full-on dissolving so any amount of speech will ruin it) and my phone goes off. It pisses me off---I look at it as a monetary loss. I end up having to swallow that dose and there's a good $1.50 gone, at the very least!

In the end, though, it is my fault for not dosing before or after work. Sucks, nonetheless! So this totally made me laugh :)

Thanks for helping me feel understood :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I love that suboxone has really helped with my back pain and eliminated the cravings I had while on oxy. Butt I gotta say, I HATE the whole process involved with taking a dose. I take 4mg three times a day. Have to split it up for the most pain relief. I keep the 'subliva' in for at least 30 minutes usually. My first dose isn't too bad. My mouth is dry when I first get up so there's not too much saliva to try and hold in while getting ready for work. My second dose I take on my lunch break, which is a half hour. So I have to spend my whole lunch time with sub in my mouth. Can't eat, can't smoke. Sucks. Feels like a waste of a lunch break. My third dose I take at home, but it seems like my husband always has a question for me, the phone rings, one of the cats does something bad (I swear they know when I can't yell at them) I can't even imagine having kids to deal with during that time. I just wish there was a better, quicker way to take this med. I spend close to two hours everyday with sub in my mouth! And then there's the 30 minutes before and after dosing that you're not supposed to eat, drink, or smoke. It really is a pain. It's worth it, of course, but it really would be nice if it wasn't so time consuming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I love this post. Did you guys know, if you google "Subliva", this post comes up. Just thought it was funny. I think Wikipedia just may adapt this word as someone posted above. Only someone who actually takes Suboxone can relate and appreciate this post. That's what is so great about this forum. Could you even imagine trying to talk to someone at work about "Subliva"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

When I first started taking the sub I held it in my mouth and the subliva..thing as well, but now I just crunch it up with
my teeth and let it melt under my tongue and then swallow. It takes about 3 minutes...and it works just as well
as it did when I made it a 30 minute experience. I do not know if this would work for everyone..but I could not tell
the difference.

Slipper

Post subject: Subliva
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Subliva, what a great name for a very real issue. Those who use snuff, chewin' tabacky, etc, need someplace to spit their built up saliva. Ergo, the spittoon. We value the saliva and don't want to spit or swallow it for fear of not getting enough Buprenorphine. I've never had a problem with it because it doesn't activate my saliva glands like nicotine use to. And now, with only one major salivary gland left, I'll never have a problem with it. Mine is just the opposite. It takes just short of an hour to not taste it anymore.

Amy had a great suggestion about putting it between the upper cheek and gums. Your salivary glands are on the bottom of your mouth so it makes sense to do it that way if you manufacture too much Subliva. That, or go a different route of administration. (I won't go there)

Great subject TJ!