It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My life with bupe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi..im completely new to this site...and my first time creating an account on any suboxone forum. I just wanted to share my story as im feeling kinda desperate since both my wife and I are experiencing pretty severe withdrawal from being out of our medication since Dec.26. (My wife is prescribed 20 8 mgs per month down from 90 2.5 years ago. And im prescribed 15 2mg per month down from 60 2.5 years ago). Our appt. Is not u til january 6th...and needless to say weve had mild success (meaning limitted w/d's from where we were to where we r now. Its the moment of truth for me now...not so much my wife as im down to 1mg per day. Today is day four for both of us with nothing but clonidine...which has helped to sleep slightly...but with our two boys taking any sedative during the day is a no go. We have two wonderful boys ages 5 and 3. The one positive is that I am laid off for the winter and can take care of the boys while she lays in bed. Shes taking the w/d harder than me... probably cuz of her higher dosage. The only very big negative is that we downsized to be able to save for a home and are living in a one bedroom apartment with these two boys. Those two boys are my life...my everything..and I must say have been helpin me take my mind off the w/d's. My symptoms are just like everyone elses...the nights are the most difficult. My biggest problem is that my wife is not used to being without opiates or agonists for several years...agonists only since weve had kids..but she has fibromayalgia and ac4-c8 neck fusion which led us up this recent road to recovery. My one question is...are there doctors out there who wouls consider prescribing someone bupe maintenance long term as I know my wifes addictive nature and fear that life after bupe's will spell hell on earth as it once did after her surgery with oxy and heroin abuse. I am also part of this...but feel like im reaching my own personal view that I need to get off since I dont have the ugly pain producing irritations my wife has from her messed up body. I just want my boys to have the wonderful mom that she is when she has her bupe maintenance. Our doctor is actively taperin us off rafher quickly at a rate of five pills per month...and I think this was the obvious factor in why we r short this month. I just need to know if its even feasible to ask a doctor or search for a doctor who would prescribe my wife a low dose of bupe for long term? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: My life with bupe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:48 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi DJS and welcome to the forum :)

Yes, there are doctors who will keep you on Subs long term. I have been on it since 2007 (7 months out from back surgery) because I did not want to stay on hydrocodone any longer. I had a lot of pain for at least 3 years after surgery and the Subs did help me through that.

For instance, my doctor will not take you off until you feel ready and that can take a few years for some. He is even an advocate for lifetime maintenance, if need be. If your wife feels that she would have a problem off Sub then she is not ready to be off of them.

My feeling on this is that some people need to be on it for life and others can get off and lead a drug-free life. It is a very personal thing but you do deserve a doctor who works with you and your situation, not one who pressures you to stop Sub. There are some very good, caring Sub docs out there but there are some (and I had one at one point) who seem to care less and use a very cookie cutter approach.

Sorry that you both are having to suffer right now.

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:40 pm 

Hey DJS! Clear Aqua is absolutely correct! You and your wife deserve a doctor who is willing to work with you according to your needs and schedule, no his. I would think that your wife's obvious chronic pain would mean something to your current doctor!

How long have you been with your doctor? Why does he think you both need to taper off?

There are definitely other sub doctors out there, but you have to put in some time calling around. Some people will call pharmacies and find out who is prescribing buprenorphine products. The pharmacist may not tell you, but they may. You can use the link above to find doctors or go to naabt.org. You will likely have to make quite a few phone calls. Don't forget about psychiatrists! Some of them prescribe sub as well.

I wish you and your wife luck. You're stuck in a tough place!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Clear Aqua and Amy for your advice and support. When we originally began looking for sub doctors in cedar rapids, ia. where we live we found a great dr. who was referred to us by a friend and he was great. He prescribed my wife and I 8 mg twice daily and six months in my wife became pregnant with our second son. So he switched her over to subutex which she liked better because the taste of the stop signs were makin her nauseas. While she was in the hospital during labor the on call doc who well call dr.x, (i didnt know at the time) also is a sube doctor in mount vernon close to where we live. Im assuming they did thisncuz she was on subitex, or just sheer coincidence I dont know. We never met him...I just remembered seein his name written on dry erase board. Any way my wife went onto give birth to a healthy baby boy and then we went to the next sub appt. a week after our son was born and we got the news that our Dr. was going to be retiring as his wife became very ill...and all this was happening in a very short time period. He gave us both 3 months of refills and said to find another dr. to continue maintenance. At the time we were both more sad for our doc then anything because we had developed a great relationship with him and his staff. Also the refills he wrote for my wife were the subutex and mine suboxone as she told him how she was able to tolerate it much better. So a couple days after that I began searching and calling around in the cedar rapids and iowa city areas closest to my home and found only one accepting patients in mount vernon and his name sounded familiar. So we set up an appt. The next day I see my wife answer the phone and seem puzzled and sad by what shes hearing. It was dr. X explaining to my wife that, "You're new baby boy is probably going through severe withdrawal. I cant believe a mother would take that amount of sub while pregnant, but if u wanted to come I will taper you OFF completely in one months time." He also explained that it would be $350 for the initial visit per each of us and would be very expensive following until done. She hung up with tears in her eyes about the guilt for even thinkin about our new baby goin through w/d's. I consoled her as we watched him sleepin so peacefully in his crib. Needless to say he NEVER experienced the slightest sign of w/d in fact every nurse in the hospital would say how well behaved and mild tempered he was. And it was the same for us at home. That was my first thought of " o darn this may be harder to find another caring doc then I thought. I must also add that neither my wife or I ever failed a drug test. We were comitted to getting clean after dealing with the worst part of our lives, oxy addiction. Anyway we didnt let dr. X get to us as we had three refills and ample time. A couple weeks later we go to the pharmacy to pick up our prescriptions and we are told that we cannot pick up our scripts because our doctor is no longer practicing. OMG! We are out, we have to do something now! And that was our first taste of what the w/ds were like as wih our , at that time 3 and newborn children to take care of. It was a very depressing time. But I got back to work looking for doctors immediately and found one 2.5 hours away and the appt was one week away for both of us. WE CAN DO THIS!!!! And we did, with help from a friend who came over unannounced to hand us two 8 mg subutex. Very helpful boost to stave away the cravings. We go to the new dr. and our first thought is that he is awesome...the appt. was rather quick, he seemee to diagnose my wife with PTSD and a personality disorder within 15 mins, refilled our meds and we were cool! He even told my wife he would keep her on the subutex because of her mild intolerance to suboxone. Great! He kept us at 24mg for my wife and 16mg for me daily for 6 months then down and down until she was on 8 mg once daily and me 4mg once daily after a year with new doc. We were doing great. Then about two weeks later I got a massive headache about an hour of so after taking my dose and I didnt know why. It happened again about 3x a week until the next appt. I told the doc and he prescribed clonidine to no avail. I talked to my pharmacist in person and she looked it up right there in front of me and said that 30% of patients taking naloxone experience mild to severe headaches. And she also told me that if 1% experience headaches the medication will have this type of side effect listed. It blew my mind...and I knew in my mind and body that thats what it was. Anyway the next appt. I talked to the doc and brought this up very nicely.BAD IDEA! He began saying that he has only and will only prescribe the version of bupe with naloxone present and has never prescribed it without naloxone.WHAT!!?? No way he completely forgot that he told my wife she could stay on the subutex and I figured since she was on it...no big deal for me to hint at that it may benefit me also. That appt. ended with him telling me no, suboxone only, and you are both going to be tapered down 5 pills per month until your done and off. All I managed to do was screw my wife out of her subutex. And before this he had mentioned this quick of a taper...the whole time mentioning a very slow taper. I must add, once again never failing a drug test, not once. Which leads me to where we are now...struggling with an aggressive taper...and a few more days of feeling like crap until our next appt. My biggest concern in all this is that the region where I live does not have a large opiate abuse rate, so there arent very many doctors and from what ive seen its hard to find a doc who will let you taper as you feel comfortable. Im comitted to the process but I also know from this experience as well as a couple past ones that a fast taper is difficult to put it mildly. I wished he wouldve used all those months in the beginning and tacked them onto the back end so we could do this comfortably. Anyway I am still positive I will find a doc for my wifes chronic pain...because when you compare even the mildest opiates side effects to bupes side effects... its a no-brainer...after being on both, opiates are a death sentence compared to bupe...which allows someone with the disease of addiction to live life...not even thinkin about opiates. Thank you for listening and sorry for that longwinded post...im glad to finally get our full back srory out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I have one other point...if I begin searching for new sub docs now will that make me a dr. shopper? Ive always had a belief that the patient should have the right to choose. And I do have great insurance. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:34 pm 

I don't believe you are considered doctor shopping as long as you sever your connection with the first doctor before filling a prescription from the second.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:57 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I agree with Amy on the doctor shopping. I think you get in trouble for doctor shopping when you are getting prescriptions from multiple doctors filled concurrently or back to back. Searching for a doctor does not equate to "doctor shopping".

Sounds like you have a new doc with a "one size fits all" approach. If I were in your shoes, yes, I would search for a new doctor. I am on my 3rd Sub doc and third time was the charm for me...I have a great doctor now. My first two were lousy doctors who gave me the impression that Sub was a cash-cow for them.

IF, and that's a big IF, you are unable to secure a new doctor you can either try to reason with him on subsequent visits OR grit your teeth and go thru his taper plan. (I cannot figure out why he decided it was time to wean you and your wife off...that is such a personal decision). That is only the worst case scenario. If worse case scenario happens, you have each other to lean on and you will get through it. It might not always be pleasant or what you would have wished for but you have a good forum here to vent on and you have each other.

Personally, I will be rooting for you to find a new doctor! Please don't be a stranger and keep us posted how you are doing.

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok good that makes me feel better...I will attempt to find another doctor first and just tell him/her whats goin on so they understand...I was born and raised in Boston, MA and began using opiates to battle scoliosis, which I've been born with. And I know if I lived back on the east coast again that I would most likely be able to find what im looking for just due to the sheer numbers. And to be honest with you, im not quite sure why the doctor began tapering me so quick....it was like a lightswitch from one appt. to the next...it left me wondering if I offended him in something way that I didnt understand. Anyway...all in all he is not a "bad" doctor... but I just dont think he fully grasps the idea that weve come this far... and if we are gonna be as close to 100% certain to get through this without relapse...a slow taper governed by how my wife and I are handeling the taper would be the obvious best choice. Maybe some dont realize the fact that jumping from somewhere like 4mgs is about 10x harder than from .4 or less. Thank you so much for your support...I cant believe how well im doing going through this heart of this w/d. I think it has to do alot with the fact that now thanks to both of you, this forum and Dr. Junigs helpful advice on the site...I feel like im not alone in this anymore!! You have helped me exponentially!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

You're welcome! Just keep posting and let us know how you're doing and if you find a new doc (which can be so hard in certain areas of the country). It can get slow around here at times but still many people are reading even if they don't reply. This board is like therapy for me when I am tapering...that's why I started my taper journal thread. And everyone's stories help others. This is a place of encouragement and facts...not a "horror story" board as so many other places are on the internet.
I, too, am so thankful to Dr. Junig for providing this forum for us and, for interjecting from time to time, his expertise on Suboxone. His posts have done a lot to alleviate my fears on getting off Sub. Also, the moderators here are great people who also have a lot of knowledge.

My goal this year is to get off Subs but I don't want to forget this place. I hope I will take time to come back and lend encouragement to others.

Glad you are here!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:15 pm 

We would certainly miss you, CA, if you left us entirely. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:24 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thank you, Amy....that means a lot :)

DJS...How are you doing? Any luck finding other doctors or have you decided to try and talk with your current one again? I hope you and your wife are doing better today!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg