It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Life timers place??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:41 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Is there anyway to create an area where people who have made the decision to stay on bup for life can have an area to discuss it. I have recently made this choice after trying to get off for over three years and would really like to find some others who are doing the same. I had to make the choice in order to stop beating myself up everyday and then going into w/d and screwing up and then getting back on, what a nightmare. My family is not too happy they just don't get it, but in order for me to keep my life on target this is where I am. Is there anyone else out there who is on for life??

Post subject: Re: Life timers place??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Cammie,

We do have a lot of members here who have made the decision to stay on suboxone for life. We don't have a specialized section for this I think mostly because at one time this forum was mostly driven by members who were "sub lifers". We have recently seen an influx of members who are here for support to get off suboxone...but this forum is still, and always will be, supportive of lifetime use of suboxone if that is what the individual has chosen.

If you are looking for support for any specific issues, just post about it. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the support you will get here, even from the members who have chosen not to continue in treatment themselves.

Hopefully this post will stir up some comment from others who are in your situation that seem to have fallen silent over the past months. I, for one, would love to see some of the older members who don't intend to quit suboxone come back and start posting again!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have chosen to be on Suboxone for life. The positives of taking Suboxone long term just weight out any of the negative effects of Suboxone for me.

There was some guilt from my family members that just weren't educated on this life saving medication. But, I have to do this for me because this is our lives not their lives. Suboxone has allowed me to have and keep a wonderful job, be a good mother and wife. And most off all keep me off drugs.

Yes, being on Suboxone has its downsides: The hassle of paying out of pocket every month to see a doctor. The hassle at the pharmacy for my insurance to pay for my mediation. And.. mainly the fear of being injured and not having proper relief.

The benefits of taking Suboxone for me outweigh the above minor hassles.

So I would def be a little easier on yourself and know that this medication is a lifesaver and a cure to help battle addiction.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.... my reason for setting up this forum in the first place, 5 years ago, was to help get rid of the stigma for taking a medication that treats addiction, perhaps for life. I suspect that as time goes on, the treatment of opioid dependence with buprenorphine will be fine-tuned... perhaps with new opioid molecules that offer one improvement or another. That's how medicine works, after all, with every disease; one med paves the way to multiple options, whether for asthma or hypertension, or addiction.

People know my bias; I've seen way too many people waste months and years trying to 'get off buprenorphine', forgetting that the medication was doing them a tremendous service until too late. If people want to stop, that's their decision-- but never feel that you are doing something wrong by treating your illness appropriately.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I understand what everyone's saying, believe me.

To me, the word 'lifer' has a negative connotation in regards to methadone/buprenorphine especially having come from a methadone clinic background.

Never say never, as I'm in my kind of early-mid 30's (Does that work?!) and certainly I have a few more years to go; new medications be they new formulations of buprenorphine or analogues will certainly be introduced to the market.

Will I treat my illness chronically with medication of some kind? Yes, I've seen too many people spiral and too many die when not treating their addiction properly and I know myself and my addiction too well, plus love life and what I'm doing too much to play the odds. Plus, so far so good, why throw a wrench into the mix if something is working?

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:52 pm 

I think it's a great idea to have a section dedicated to people who expect to be on life maintenance. After all, posting in that section doesn't make you stay on suboxone for life if you make a different decision further down the line. The reason I think a section would be valuable for "lifers" is that sometimes lifers don't feel like they have a home here during times when a majority of active posters are trying to get off sub and are a little hostile about it. I think this new section would have instructions that people who are against being on sub for life or long term stay out, or at least not argue about the subject.

I think that long term sub users need a place that they could complain about their treatment without being bombarded with, "Then why don't you get off it?" Do you know what I mean?

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What a wonderful response Amy! My opiate addiction stole nearly my entire adult life thus far, I'll have ninety days clean this Thursday and suboxone has been the only thing that has helped me achieve more than a couple weeks without drugs.

I have plans, along with my Dr. to stay on this medication for a good long while and possibly life. I think, at some point in the life of an addict who had tried many times to get sober without any success to speak of, it becomes an issue of quality of life really. What I mean is that even when I went all the way thru wd, I'd always relapse within weeks and end up using more & more with each failure at abstinent recovery. It was a vicious cycle that took a terrible toll on my mind and body. I can never remember feeling right or normal like I do now when I was off opioid meds. abstinence was miserable for me. I had no energy. Not much excited me, my big goals most of the time were things like getting of the couch, out of my pajamas. I avoided social situations, and often wouldn't even answer my phone. I felt alone, depressed, and unmotivated. And each relapse made me feel like an even bigger failure, a failure at life really.

All of that has changed so dramatically since starting suboxone. I enjoy going to work, talking to people, playing with my children. I even had a kids new years eve party here this year. I had house full of 12 to 15 year Olds, playing games, singing karaoke, and watching ball drop. I love waking up in the a.m. I've never been this way before, and I feel emotionally and physically wonderful! Now that I've got a taste of life as it's meant to be lived, I cab never go back to the way I was before. If that means sub for life then so be it! We deserve to have a good quality of life, and for some of us, that wouldn't be possible without this medicine. IM grateful for every day now and for finally finding a knowledgeable, caring doctor who also supports my decision to continue my recovery with suboxone. Like Dr J says, we shouldn't feel like we are doing something wrong for treating our condition with a proven medication! I'm all for a "lifer" section. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I strongly suspect I may be a lifer.
I tried once and had myself locked up for over 45 days but the withdrawls just didn't stop.The restless legs and anxiety was the worse so I started again and still use Suboxone.
Is there a lifer forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes there is..look for Bupe for Life. If you scroll down you will see it.
Its fairly new, two weeks or so. raz...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've also decided to stay on sub for life. I'm a totally different person now than I was when I was addicted to pain meds for 20 plus years! My life is so awesome now! For the first time in that many years I feel like a normal human being! It's a wonderful feelin! I actually enjoy waking up and going to work now, my family trusts me again and are so proud of me! And I feel excited about my life and my future! I was so miserable before! So it's nice to hear others who have also been helped by suboxone and decided to stay on it for life! Yes it's expensive but to me its so worth it to be finally free from horrible addiction!