It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Life is Over
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone! I am a 28 yr old male from WI. I had been playing around with narcotics/drugs since I was about 12. It all started off when I started "dating" this girl from my school. She had a friend who was quite a bit older than us and had the "hook". I had never tried drugs before this night, only cigarettes. So we went over to the house where this guy was watching his younger siblings. We sat around played card games, drank a few beers just having a good old time. Then both of them asked if I was "comin with?" I had no Idea so I said yes. We went into this back bedroom and he went into the dresser drawer and pulled out a pipe and a bag. He said to the girl I was with "load one." Well by this time I was pretty nervous, I hadn't seen or done drugs before in my life. The pipe went from him to her then it was my turn, a million thoughts raced through my mind. I hit the pipe and loved the feeling I got. So, from that night forward it was a snowball effect. Trying all sorts of drugs from speed, cocaine , hallucinogens, then the opiates. Ah yes, the opiates. This is were I lost myself in my addiction. It started out as buying a few vics or percs from a friend. Then I got assulted in '99, and the doctor prescribed me vics for quite awhile. The only thing was I was trading my vics for morphine. So this went on for a couple of months. My doc caught on and stoppped prescribing me the vics. I was out of "stuff", or was I? No, by this time 90% of my friends had listened to eminem and wanted to see what the rave was all about in the pills. So, I could buy anything from darvy's to oxy's. I mainly stuck to the softer narcotics. That lasted for about 2 years when one night my "friend" said " here try this, you'll love it." Love it I did. Before I knew it I was hooked on oxy's at age 21. So, then came the car accident, after the assault thats all I needed was another reason to go to the doctor. In the accident I injured my back and some nerves around it. Not good. So, the doctor I went to was prescribing me as many vics as I could eat. He moved, then came the fine art of doctor shopping. Finding out what doctors will be willing to prescribe what you want. I went from doctor to doctor while I had insurance. Well as any addict knows you're only employable for a short time in the begining of your addiction. So obviously no job, no insurance, no doc, no drugs. So then I started to self medicate, I'm sure you can figure out how I afforded to do this. Meanwhile, I had gotten married to my loving and ever so caring and patient wife. I was in and out of the methadone clinic, which in my opinion, is the states way of making money legally off addicts. Then in '06 on Valentines day I figured, what a better gift than a sober me. I went to the local hospital and went through the 72hr detox program. Hopes were high and I really wanted it to work this time. I knew I had to steer clear of all drugs even pot. I did for about 2 weeks. I gave in and hit the pipe. Then that buzz wasn't enough so I got an oxy, remember I thought I was in control, there my addiction started all over right where I left it. So, I kept it hidden for a couple of months. Then the patterns started happening again. My wife caught on. She's a very smart woman and has been through this every step of the way. She was destroyed when I finally admitted I was using again. We started fighting and arguing to the point of no stopping. We would wake up fighting with eachother. So, one weekend I was at the bar til close then to an after party. It was raining out and I was walking home on the phone arguing. I got home and she was "dead". What I mean is it looked to me like I had sucked every last bit of fight , will or life out of her. Well, the next morning after waking up at about 5 in the afternoon we started to fight again. I stormed out the door as usual to get my fix. I called her on the phone, we talked and she gave me the ultimatum that I had been given a hundred times before. But this time I knew it was real, i could tell in her voice and by the way she looked the night before. She told me that it was her or the drugs make my choice. I stayed at my mom's until tuedsay. That was when I had my induction appointment and I needed to stay off any drugs for 24 - 36 hrs. I knew that if I didn't stay at my moms I would use. Plus, my wife had asked me to so she could think and clear her head. I respect her so I did. Tuesday came, I wasn't violently ill like I had been the other times I tried to quit in the past, but i certainly wasn't feeling 100%. We got to the office and I was introduced to the Dr. We went into his office and talked about my addiction. He then determined my appropiate dosage and we started the induction phase. Well since that day I have gotten my life back, I have a decent job, and most importantly of all, I still have my wife by my side.

If I can stress one thing to anyone who is thinking about suboxone. Stop thinking about it and do it. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good story man, thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear that you got the right kind of help before you lost your wife. A truly supportive person is not always an easy thing to come by in your life. Someone who sticks with you through anything is a rarity and something to be treasured.

Hope everything continues to go well for you.

Post subject: Glad you see the light
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To Beave, glad you found out that drugs, for recreational purposes are a destructive force, and is quickly becoming the number one killer in our young people. I wish you all the luck in finding sobriety. Do whatever it takes to find that happiness without drugs. Suboxone can be a wonderful tool as it does not give the euphoria that other opiates do. As I have told the Doc and others on this forum, I sure wish this was around when I was detoxing from methadone. But regardless of how I did it, I think the Doc has great words of wisdom to be had by all. Continued success on your journey :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:33 pm 
Thanks for sharing a part of your history with us. It’s easy to read but hard to live as anyone who has been there knows. Glad you found your way to some sanity and back to the living. :D

Post subject: Almost confused
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was surprised that you titled your story as your life being over when in actuality it is just beginning. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for you and wish you all the luck in the world. It’s a hard thing to do what you did as any of us who have been there know. But when I saw the title of your story I thought I was going to read about someone who thought their life was over and all the “fun” gone because you couldn’t use any more. I’m happy to find out differently.
I hope you find more happiness and reasons for living with each new day.
Rae :)