It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Life insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Does anyone here have life insurance, or more importantly, applied for life insurance while admitting to addiction issues? Now that we have a baby, we're applying for life insurance but they're really grilling us on the addiction history. Originally we tried to leave it out of the application as it asks about addiction within the last 10 years. We originally sought treatment over 10 years ago and have been out of active using ever since. The underwriters found suboxone prescriptions in my history somehow and asked about it so I had to go through my whole history. Same with my husband. They are still assessing the situation and waiting on paperwork from my last prescribing doctor, just wondering if you can be denied for this, or if they just charge a higher premium?

Post subject: Re: Life insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For three years I worked as a Virginia and north Carolina licensed life/ health insurance agent fit a large insurance company, however, this was about eight years ago. very stressful job, btw, my addict brain thought oxys made me better at it, less shy and anxious....ANYWAY....depending on the company, you could be denied, but since you don't have it in your recent history, it's more likely that you'll be charged a higher premium. it really depends on which underwriter gets the application, imo. I sometimes had applicants on multiple meds have no problem at all getting affordable coverage, and occasionally I had applicants that were on meds for high blood pressure declined.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm 

I tried the same thing years ago and changed my mind about applying. If I gave them the okay to check my medical history then my premium would go up or I'd be denied. If I lied and they found out later, it would be my wife and family who would suffer because of it. Like a fool I had stopped mine at work thinking I could get a better price. Stupid move on my part.

Good luck finding insurance. I do have some work life ins. left over in retirement but it only pays one years salary. They let me back in when I left the workplace.

BTW, it is SO FRIGGIN' GOOD to have you back posting again! Congrats again on your new little one. And off the Suboxone too! You are a walking miracle.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey ya, TD!!

I don't have any input on the health insurance situation, but like Rule, I wanted to say how good it is to see you again!!

I hope everything works out with the insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Aw, have I tortured you guys enough with my absence?

Thanks Lizzie! I will wait and see. I'll let you guys know what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Quote:
Does anyone here have life insurance, or more importantly, applied for life insurance while admitting to addiction issues?
I've been declined twice simply because I'm taking Suboxone.
Not fair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:46 am 

My impression is that taking a medication like suboxone or methadone puts you on the map as an opioid addict. I think that the discovery of opioid addiction in a person's history is what triggers alarm rather than taking a medication for it.

At this point the treatment industry has stuck with abstinence-based treatment, which has dismal relapse and overdose rates. As treatment for opioid addiction becomes more evidence-based with the addition of buprenorphine for opioid addiction treatment, I suspect a long history taking buprenorphine will eventually be associated with a lowered risk of death in opioid addiction. It may take some time, however.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We use the disease model for addiction and often use diabetes as a metaphor for treatment. If you have diabetes, particularly insulin dependent, rates for life insurance are much higher, if they will agree to underwrite. You may have had cancer 10 years prior and considered 'cured' and the same thing, rates will be much higher. Probably not much consolation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:21 pm 

Well that totally makes sense.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FYI - KNOW THAT For anyone interested in genetic testing for ethnicity and medical issues, when you apply for life, disability or long term care insurance, carriers can and do check w genetic testing companies eg 23 and me as part of their due diligence to determine your insurability risk.

The 2008 GINA, Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act does NOT protect against pre-existing issues for life, disability or long term care. For example, the Alzheimer ApoE4 gene variant is present in about a quarter of the US population and those knowing they have the gene, have a 6Xs increase in applying for long term care and can be found out and denied. Same for other genes that can cause disease - eg the BRCA for breast and ovarian cancer.