It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in my 30's, non-smoker, very healthy, 750 credit score, but was denied for life insurance because of Subutex(buprenorphine). I have been on the medication for over 5 years and it is the only thing that has helped with my migraines and depression. I would try to quit Sub if I thought it would make me eligible for life insurance but from what I've read it makes no difference...

So my question for anyone with input is - Did you get life insurance or know how/where anyone else on Sub got it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:37 pm 

This is a very good question. I heard from a previous member that this is the case. That anyone with a known history of drug abuse can not get a life insurance policy. However, this previous member lied so much I have no idea if she was telling the truth about this. That means that anyone on buprenorphine or methadone is automatically denied a life insurance policy. It does make sense from their perspective. With the overdose rate of addicts, we end up being a bad bet. Insurance is a gamble after all. From what you are saying, you are not an addict, but are on it for depression and migraines. I don't know that they would distinguish between addicts and chronic pain patients, unfortunately.

But it totally sucks if this is the case! I should ask my insurance agent to find out for sure. I am sorry that you were denied. I hope that in the future this won't be the case.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being on most medications will make life insurance difficult to find. I am 'uninsurable' because of my history of addiction and because I take Lexapro. Just one of those histories is enough to scare away most insurers.

Those issues do NOT generally impact group policies though-- and many people have life insurance through a group policy purchased by their employer. The coverage isn't generally high enough to protect a family, but it's something at least.

There are some things a person can do to get around the problem. If you taper off buprenorphine, consider getting a term policy that is convertible without health questions or tests. That type of policy can protect your family down the line no matter what happens to your health, especially with a repurchase option that allows you to increase coverage later without medical questions. Or if you have a young child, consider buying him/her a small policy with an 'additional purchase rider' that allows him/her to increase coverage years later, without additional medical information.

You should be honest, of course. But each state has a limit on when an insurer can challenge the data on the application, so any gray areas go to you after that time. The laws generally say that the time is longer-- 7 years in Wisconsin, for example-- if the insured committed 'fraud'.

I don't sell life insurance BTW... but I did buy a policy years ago, before my addiction, when a pushy salesperson talked me into it. It is not for enough money to change anyone's lifestyle, but in retrospect I'm glad I gave in to his sales pitch. Should at least get me buried, and buy a nice lunch for anyone who showed up at the wake....

There are independent agents out there who make a living by commissions on insurance products--- life, health, auto, home... and sometimes they can really make the search easier. My impression, at least, is that the commission comes more from the company side than from the customer side.