It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: life after suboxone
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

7 weeks later

Snake, you are SOOO right about the "normal" people being just as weird if not more weird than us. I figured that out about three weeks after getting off my DOC. And you are officially awesome that you picked up on mars Volta. They are (were) everything.

Sooooo... The weekend was uneventful after the stupid me deciding to take suboxone. I felt a little tired but nothing terrible, I still got lots of exercise and pushed through it.

I know that I was probably supposed to do some soul searching and get into a recovery group ASAP but I did not do any of the above. I just went on with my normal life and didn't give the whole incident much thought. Probably going to get in trouble for saying that but I'm just being honest.

Just wanted to update that I'm OK and didn't spiral downward. I have an extremely busy week this week, and leaving town for over a week on Sunday. So unless something awesome happens I won't probably post for awhile.

Hoping everyone is well and enjoying their day! Xo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

NOOOO, you have to keep posting. Busy is not an excuse. Hahaha, I'm glad you're moving passed this slip and in the right direction. Hey I don't/haven't yet done any recovery things which probably explains why I'm back here.. I really want to do something like that but I also want to stay discreet. I know a cop out but... I just can't motivate myself to do it. I do however use this place for support and stuff, it's just not F2F. And I feel accountable because y'all know if I stop posting it means I'm back at my old ways. And Id be too embarrassed to come back and say it again.. I don't know what I'm talking about just rambling so I'm out. Have a safe whatever you're doing and come back in a few weeks and update.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So am I, are we, to understand and accept, you have a relapse, you need help, you are not sure what to do... You start a new thread saying you are "totally lost" here:

messed-day-totally-lost-t11509.html

And now, three days later it's like, oh, never mind, life is great and is normal again, I may not be back for a while. Seriously? Did you even read what people wrote to you in the above thread and responses? I just don't get it. Are you being honest with us and with yourself? This makes no sense. Something doesn't add up here.

I would hope you would at least respond to everyone who took minutes to perhaps hours to pour out responses to you in the above thread. You asked for our help. We gave it to you. And you don't even respond to it much less consider our advice? Well why even ask then?

Again, this makes no sense and something doesn't add up here.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yo Fish, Just curious on how everything is going with you. 3 days later!! haha. I'm on day 11 and feeling pretty good. Hope all is well, hope to hear from you soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Fish,

You said you're going out of town tomorrow. How about giving us an update before you leave?

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Morphing wrote:
Hey Fish,

You said you're going out of town tomorrow. How about giving us an update before you leave?

Thanks,
Morphing

I second what Morhping said and I am sure Quietaddict would love to hear how you are....we are all waiting with baited breathe

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:42 pm 

I agree Tiki :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Tiki and Jenn,
Yes, we are all on the edge of our seats on this one. Surely she didn't relapse!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My doc retiring one day was definitely one of the reasons I got off subs. It's scary when someone ending their career actually instills panic in you.

Post subject: Almost 6 months
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just an update even though it's been awhile since I've posted..., Monday upcoming (Labor Day) will be my 6 month anniversary of stopping suboxone.

I am not going to lie and say I haven't messed around once or twice with my old DOC ....aka relapse as they call it around here! However, I live 98% of my days 100% drug and medication free and I could not be happier about it. I finally started feeling my energy return to full speed after about 2 months after stopping. I would say it's taken at least this long (6 months) to start finding real pleasure in the small things in life that I would imagine non opiate addicts feel, aka food, social life, family...etc...

I heard this described as anhedonia which totally makes sense and have heard it can last up to a year after stopping opioid/opiates, including suboxone.

I'm still maintaining my pro-sub position, meaning that through my experiences as an addict and then an addict on suboxone in recovery....there is definitely no shame in staying on sub indefinitely. Sometimes I miss it, it really did wonders for the cravings but I have learned that cravings are just something I will have to deal with my entire life since I am after all an addict. Minus the aforementioned two slips, I feel that I have been successfully managing my addiction. I learned something from each of the slips, most of all I learned that life is much easier not having to think about drugs. And really really really awesome not being dependent/being able to travel and participate in day to day events no matter where I am and who I'm with. It's nice to not have to think about needing my medication but especially nice not having to worry about finding drugs illicitly just to stay well enough to be part of life.

Another thing that has taken awhile to get used to accepting is that whenever life feels weird or I feel exhausted or I feel like crawling out of my skin...it's been hard to accept that there isn't just something I can take to make everything feel better or less uncomfortable. In other words, I've had to get really comfortable with being uncomfortable. And I'm not talking like anything major either, just the day to day normal feelings of discomfort or low mood or melancholy or anxiety or any other range of feelings that most people just deal with as part of life. I didn't use to believe that being on suboxone took the edge off of any of those things, but after this long off, I definitely believe that it does, even if only slightly...Which is great! For that reason I miss it!

Let's see what else can I write about the update....I guess in summary I just wanted to check in if anyone still even reads this...and say that at pretty much 6 months off suboxone life has been pretty good. I wouldn't go so far as to say "omg wow life has been amazing because I quit taking sub everyone should quit, blah blah..." Life has been life, realistically. It did/does take a long time to get used to the new day to day feeling of not being medicated, but for me personally it has been worth it (relapses and all!) it's been worth it because it's been great not having a dependency on anything and it's been great not having to pay for the cost of being on the medication. The freedom for me has been worth it even though it's not been the easiest thing I've ever done. But I still encourage people to stay on suboxone I'd it is working for them in their lives! I still maintain its a fascinating and wonderful medication and I still maintain that if I ever feel like I need to, I would absolutely go back on.
Hope everyone is well. I'm going to come back on later today and read through some of the newer posts. I haven't been on in a long time because I felt the only way I would ever be able to let go of sub was to distance myself entirely for ahwile. Excited to look at the forum from a different perspective now!