It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Life after being an RN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was working at a prestigous hospital in California until I was pretty much forced to resign in 2011. After dealing with the board of nursing, I lost my license in 2013 and spent 20k on lawyer fees. I have been addicted to Norco since 2008. Since 2011, I have gone through withdrawls and relapsed until 2014. Despite the withdrawl symptoms, I was severly depressed and suicidal. Being on norco helped my depression more than my anti depressants ever had. I was going through my withdrawls at the same time as dealing with my loss of RN license. Life really sucked at that time. I eventually got back on the norco, because I just couldnt mentally cope with all the stress.I was newly married at the time to a man that I have known for several years. He pretty much blew through all my savings I had and we lived very poorly for awhile. I decided to get on methadone in Dec 2014 and that helped me a lot. My husband had managed to get my car impounded and I was unable to pay to get it out several months before. I had to take the bus and BART (subway) and walk some in order to get to the methadone clinic daily. It was quite a commitment, but well worth it. I didnt feel the withrawls or severe depression. We sold our home in June and are living off the equity of the sell of our home. Due to my success in the methadone program, I now only need to go to the clinic weekly and have take homes for the rest of the days. I will soon graduate to receiving 2 weeks worth of take homes and go to the clinic just twice a month. My husband and newborn daughter and I are living in a motel for now. My older kids live with there dad for now. We are trying to rent a house or apartment, but unsuccessful. Nobody wants to rent to us without employment and poor credit. My husband has a lot of pain issues that interer wth him working as a finish carpenter and epilepsy he has had for the past two years. He is currently looking for work to see if he can physically handle it. I am also trying to look for work. I have a BSN with 6 years of college. Being a college graduate, I feel I deserve a better paying job than minimum wage. I know I will not make $70\hour again, but would like to make at least $25\hour. Living in California, rent is usually more than $2000\month. Does anyone have any advice on a ok paying job for someone that has a college degree in nursing? Also, please let me know if you have had a similar experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Jessie,
It sounds like you have been through a lot and I'm glad you are doing so well on methadone!
Is there any way to reinstate your licence or is that decision final?
My sister was a nurse before she moved onto pharmaceutical repping. You could use your nursing background as a platform to enter the industry, if that suits you. The money is much better than nursing.
That's one idea.
The other is on the lower end of the scale, considerably lower, Aged care, which is what I do.
Obviously you need work now, so it would make sense to take anything in the interim.
I wish you the best Jessie, hopefully others will offer more ideas for you.
Please stay in touch and keep us updated!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response. There is pretty much no chance to reinstate my license. I will look into the pharmacy rep job.Thank you and will let you know if I have any luck.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jessie

I am sorry to hear what happened. Both my son and son in law are RN's (my son has BSN). I am an LPN so they followed in my foot steps lol

What about teaching night school or at a vocational school? How long had you been nursing?

You are definitely a strong person & committed when you make your mind up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:55 am 

Hi Jessie, Congratulations on the work you have done on yourself and in getting your life back on track! I too think the pharm rep idea is a good one in that it will give you the salary you are looking for. My only concern there is if they will know about the loss of the license. Teaching is an excellent idea, not as much money, but better than minimum wage! How about recovery or sub treatment? Not the best pay but are always accepting of people in recovery. I wish you continued success and know you will land something soon! Please keep us informed as to how you are doing!