It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: license taken
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello, I tried to search for this information however thought it might be something new that is happening. A friend of mine has been on suboxone for 4 years. He just received a call from his doctor (unfortunately on voice mail) that said his license has been taken. Has anyone heard of this? My friend is freaking out and I am trying to help. Is this something new? I mean is this similar to all of the pain management doctors that are being raided. (I don't know if anyone will remember me but my husband is still in the process of being tapered for induction to suboxone) I guess it is possible the doctor was seeing too many patients? Not keeping good records? I don't know. I am trying to help my friend find a doctor in Maryland.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: license taken
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We found something. The doctor, wasn't keeping good records. He had been in practice over 40 years. It is really sad to me. I am thinking of all the patients who were on Suboxone and now have nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have found something the doctor was reported to the DEA in December 2014 because out of state patients were submitting prescriptions. Evidently out of state prescriptions are a big red flag. The doctor wasn't running toxicology tests. Didn't document counseling sessions with patients. Didn't take vitals after the first appointment
Was prescribing Xanax, Valium,Soma to various patients
Was put on probation in August, given 6 months to improve
I guess doctor decided not to take the mandatory classes or change his ways

I am sorry I asked this question now, but I hope this may help someone else who is on Suboxone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm 

Don't be sorry Dee! I think ur thread is extremely valuable! It shows how easy something like this can happen. It shows the hard time this doctors patients are going to have trying to locate another doctor. That's just so sad and awful! I feel for those patients. I think we all (ppl on buprenorphine) fear this happening.

Dee keep posting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel for the patients, and for the doctor. I don't know how good or bad this doctor was, but sometimes the rules on medical practice don't leave room for good judgement. For example, if a patient has been off opioid agonists for 5 years, never had a problem on buprenorphine and never used other substances, does that person still need multiple drug tests each year? I can to a 15-panel drug test on a patient for six bucks, but Michigan Medicaid requires patients to have drug tests from commercial labs, with buprenorphine metabolites, before they will cover the medication. Those tests have a very dark side; the pattern of metabolites can vary in individual patients, causing doctors to toss patients to the street.

One interesting tidbit... at the AATOD meeting in NYC last week I read a poster about a study in a certain state (I can't remember the state), looking at the percent of doctors who followed the official treatment guidelines for buprenorphine. The stated goal with buprenorphine treatment is to increase 'time in treatment', which has been correlated with success. The study found a wide range when looking at the number of guidelines followed by doctors. But the doctors who followed the MOST of the guidelines, had the WORST treatment retention numbers! In other words, when doctors followed the guidelines the best, their patients were most likely to drop out of treatment. That is NOT a good thing!

I've seen two big studies looking at the effect of counseling on abstinence after stopping buprenorphine. The studies showed no benefit of counseling to abstinence rates, and actually showed a trend toward lower abstinence rates in the counseling group. Of course there are benefits to counseling other than abstinence, so I'm not saying to avoid counseling. Just wondering if a state assemblyman is in a better position to decide the necessary testing than your doctor!