It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I cannot read anything on the watering hole or any other threads where you have posted a lot, Libra. That is why I had to make this new thread. I have a good computer, but I have dial-up. I live 'way out in the country and last Summer Verizon came out here to see if they could hook me up with hi-speed DSL, but then said they could not help me because I live too far out. So far I have not been able to get hi-speed service in this area.

Because of all of your graphics and smileys, it is too much info for my dial-up connection and causes it to freeze up any time I try to read threads where there are a lot of graphics. Then I have to re-boot the computer. I tried the text-only version and the smileys still show up there. It is the same situation. I am not saying for you to stop the smileys, but perhaps maybe you could cut down on them a little? I know you really like them. I do too. Just letting you know for whatever it is worth. Hope you are having a great day!

~Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey rossma,

I was thinking perhaps because of your technical difficulties that maybe you weren't able to read my last post. I was just telling you how sorry I am for everything you and your dog are going through. I know if something like that were to happen to one of my dogs I would be a complete wreck. I hope you and the pup are doing well today. And sorry about your computer issues. Take care, my friend.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't know dial up still existed. Boy that's a whole world away from my laptop in the living room or back yard or wherever. For that matter, blackberries (which I own for work and still don't know how to use). Or my Wii which apparently can get online but I haven't figured that out yet either. Anyhow.........dial up has GOT to go. I would move :-)

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes it is pretty frustrating, all right, but I am used to it. It's a pretty good trade-off when I look out of each window to see a vista worthy of framing. No matter what the season, it is beautiful out here. Because of a tree-covered hill on the south side we do not have a clear shot to the geostationary satellites that cover the northeast. That would mean with something like Hughes-net it would be interrupted when the wind blows the trees a certain way or when the weather is rainy or snowy. This happens with our TV reception. There is no cable out here. Dial-up teaches one patience and how to wait - things that I did not have when I was using!

Thanks for your kind words, Hatmaker. My dog, Walter, is doing OK. I can tell he is in a lot of pain. I remember what that felt like. He is so big, it is hard for me to handle him, but he has been very cooperative so far.

~Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well i just posted this in libras thread so ill post it hear too for you to see rossma.

Wow so sorry to hear this rossma im glad to hear hes home and you are able to give him the help he nedd as being a dog nurse. I know your pain. But just know you have all our support hear for your big guy to get back to normal and with your good ol TLC he will be back to normal soon.

I breed English Bull Terriers and my very first one b4 i started breeding was a crazy puppie. anyways one day there were people walking acrossed the street and being a pup he ran at them anyways they luckily got the cars going one way to stop but on the other side i was doing jumping jacks basicly in the middle of the street to get the car to stop. well it was a older couple and they didnt see me and hit him drug him under there car for about 20 seconds. well i rushed to his side picked him up and ran to my house. he was still alive but badly hurt. ill never get the sound of my dog screaming out of my head while being draged that will be with me for life. any ways he got up and tryed to walk his front half was fine but he was dragging his back feet im still in active addiction so i was young in my teens at this point in my life it was the hardest thing i went threw. Anyways my parents rushed him to the animal hospital and he had to be taken up to Toronto were the best dog surgent worked to have a opperation we live in Buffalo so it was prolly the worst 2 hour drive of my life cause every lil bump he would cry. Well we get there this place is like a real ER have the gurnie iv ready. But b4 they went in to do the operation the dr sat down with my mom and dad i wasnt a leagal adult at the time so i couldnt go in. But basicly said you have 2 options i could do the operation or you can say your good byes and will put him down. the only thing is the operation was 10,000.00 dolloars cash my dad took it out of his retirement saveings and they went ahead with the operation. He was my dog but no matter how much money it coast my dad said hes part of this family and we will do all he can to save him. that makes me cry to this day. Well he wasnt even a year old but his recovery was on him. He was suppost to never walk right again and was most likely to use one of those dog wheel chair things that was hard to think about but the day after the operation he was already up trying to walk. well the next few months were very hard he had a huge line of stiches down his back all shaved too. it would leak fluids so this will maek you smile now we came up with useing tampons then putting kids shirts on him to hold it in place worked great. Well hes back to 96% now runs,plays and everything else. And he never gave up the dr said at his last check up he beat the odds of science and only about 7% come back as far as he did from this operation. he broke 2 vertebrae.

Well all i got to say like you rossma this dog is my life hes just turned 7 a couple weeks ago and has been with me threw the good and the bad. when i was really hurt from my knee injurys he would lay right next to me on the couch on his side with his face right in mine licking me while i would sleep. my mom took a vid of this one time is was so cute. and he is also a big part of me makeing threw my addiction recovery.

Oh yea my dogs name is Cain

Get well Walter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy- thanks for sharing that very touching story. You almost made me cry. I'm so relieved to hear that Cain is almost a hundred percent again. That's terrific. I have two dogs now (and three cats and a bird!), but used to have three. We lost him over 2 years ago and it's been extremely hard. I won't go into the details, but I'm just really happy to hear both of your dogs (Rossma and Bboy) are going to be ok. I LOVE dog stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh, Bboy, what a story! Isn’t it amazing how they can heal and get better from something so horrific? I know what you mean about Cain being an integral part of your recovery. The wonderful thing about our dogs is that they don’t care whether we’re addicts, or what we have done…they only love us, unconditionally. Their sole mission in life is to hang out with us. They have a way seeing right through to our soul, and helping us to heal. Through my life I’ve had a series of faithful dogs and I cannot imagine being without one. It is just setting yourself up to have your heart broken because for some reason the Good Lord didn’t see fit to allow them to live very long. Every dog that we have had who ultimately left us took a little piece of me with them, for sure.

At the current time, I have 4 dogs! I had just adopted a dog from the SPCA 2 or 3 weeks ago, not knowing what was ahead of us with Walter. They are all great dogs, but I find that caring for them all at this time is a full-time job. These days find me sitting here with 8 eyes following my every motion. I’m not complaining. I love them all.

Walter has been an important part of my recovery, too.

You know, Bboy, your parents sound wonderful. It sounds like they’ve been there for you too. There is no love like a parent has for a child – no matter what their age!

~Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rossma wrote:
Oh, Bboy, what a story! Isn’t it amazing how they can heal and get better from something so horrific? I know what you mean about Cain being an integral part of your recovery. The wonderful thing about our dogs is that they don’t care whether we’re addicts, or what we have done…they only love us, unconditionally. Their sole mission in life is to hang out with us. They have a way seeing right through to our soul, and helping us to heal. Through my life I’ve had a series of faithful dogs and I cannot imagine being without one. It is just setting yourself up to have your heart broken because for some reason the Good Lord didn’t see fit to allow them to live very long. Every dog that we have had who ultimately left us took a little piece of me with them, for sure.

At the current time, I have 4 dogs! I had just adopted a dog from the SPCA 2 or 3 weeks ago, not knowing what was ahead of us with Walter. They are all great dogs, but I find that caring for them all at this time is a full-time job. These days find me sitting here with 8 eyes following my every motion. I’m not complaining. I love them all.

Walter has been an important part of my recovery, too.

You know, Bboy, your parents sound wonderful. It sounds like they’ve been there for you too. There is no love like a parent has for a child – no matter what their age!

~Rossma

Thankyou so much hat and rossma for the kind words. it means the world to me.

Yea rossma im the same way i grew up with dogs my whole life and could not and would not live with out one. Ive had a few breeds but the English Bull Terrier was the one for me. the thing i love about the breed is on the outside they are 80 pounds of muscle and bullys at nature but in side your home they are little teady bears that just want to be around you at all times cuddle belly rub you 2 def know what im talking about. and thats one part that is so true it doesnt matter what we did wrong in life addiction leagal issues they love us no matter what. and when everyone is mad at you i could always fall back on my babys. And boy do i know the felling of dog eyes watching your every move my mom and dad make fun of me cause cain follows me every were so they say ive grow a tail lol. But thats one thing i give you much respect for is saveing a dog from the spca i really hope i can do that at one point or another.

And yes Rossma my parents play the biggest role in my life. my dad is very much always there for me but my mom is my back bone. Like ive said b4 on this site ive def done alot of things in my life that no parent should put up with from drugs/dealing to getting in trouble in school. but no matter what happen my mom was always right next to me helping me threw it. she is the main reason im sober from all drugs besides the suboxone. i tell my friends i quit smokeing weed which i did for 8 years every day never missed a day cause i had to for my suboxone program but really my dr is for medical marj. so he looks past it. but the real reason i quit was for my mom the reason why is a lil personall so we wont go there but you get the point. As of getting clean and off the oxy contin and onto suboxone well lets just say if my mom wasnt in the picture i would still be on 200 mgs of oxy a day for the rest of my life. cause my pain mang doctors said ill take to painkillers for the rest of my life well when my mom heard that she made it her mission to get me off oxy. and now im 4 years sober and its all cause of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack wrote:
I didn't know dial up still existed. Boy that's a whole world away from my laptop in the living room or back yard or wherever. For that matter, blackberries (which I own for work and still don't know how to use). Or my Wii which apparently can get online but I haven't figured that out yet either. Anyhow.........dial up has GOT to go. I would move :-)

Most people are surprised to hear this, but dial up internet access still accounts for about 10% of all internet access in the US

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is one 10 percent that I wish I wasn't in....................................... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

............................especially now that they put all the lovely ads across the left side of the screen to slow down even those of us with cable and wireless internet. Those ads are annoying. There is nothing worse than having to scroll left or scroll right to read the part of the screen you actually want to see.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack, I noticed that this morning. My laptop is royally screwed up, so I thought it was just me.