It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So... although I'm happy- overall- w/ the way I feel now, physically... I'm still frustrated w/ the fatigue and constant drowsiness!! This always had been an issue for me through out the years, and my doctor reminded me that once I was completly off Suboxone, I'm going to experience the fatigue all over again (he was totally for my taking 2mg or less- permantly- whenever I needed a "little jolt" of energy). We often discussed a "back up plan" type medication for when I was through with the withdrawals. First he and I tossed around a few different drugs to try for ADD and fatigue- mostly amphetamines, but seeing as I have a history of abusing uppers, I was very reluctant to open that door again! I tried a months sample of this new medication called Nuvigil- it's not an amphetamine, but considerd a stimulant- some refer to these pills as "smart drugs". Anyways, I tried it, and absolutly feel in love w/ the way I'd reacted to it! Never once was taking Nuvigil a trigger for old habits. Meaning, I took it once every day, in the morning, and pretty much went about my business... not giving it a 2nd thought (with Adderall I carried that perscription w/ me like it was another limb, and would constantly feel the need to "re vamp" several times thru out the day!!). Taking Nuvigil made me feel clear headed, and my thoughts were no longer jumbeld and random and all over the place! And yes, it gave me extra "artificial energy", but I'm talking more along the lines of... can get through the tasks of your day easy breezy...vs jittery, can't sit still, type energy. This medication could've done wonders for me... I know it was "safe" for my recovery, and that the way it made me feel, I could accomplish the things I needed to, instead of stuck in bed or napping, aka being a bum. The issue with the Nuvigil however, is that its extremly exspensive (theres no generic yet), and I definatly couldn't afford paying $538 a month!
I then tried taking Ritalin. I know, big mistake, right? Part of me knew I wasn't going to be CAPABLE of controlling myself on something like this. I had 5 years though, that seperated me from that life...and told myself I had come to far to CHOOSE that darkness again. Well, it took about 3 weeks unfortuntly, before I was acting like my typical, obsessive, one track mind addict self. Once I started chopping up the pills and snorting them before work, I knew enough to STOP MYSELF dead in my tracks, and get f*cking RID of the Ritalin immediatly. Flushed the rest, and promised myself to make better choices from then on.
Since the Ritalin and since my hellish nightmare getting off of Suboxone... I have slowly begun putting "me" back together, and little by little am feeling like myself again. While its nice, this whole recovery/cean/new chapter... I am beginning to again feel the lazyness, and sluggish bug-a-boos creep back. It's not so much that I am craving the high/any high... it's more like frustration. Here I am mentally feeling strong, and determined, and generally content- my freakin body is no longer on board! I wake up each day and struggle to pull myself out of bed... I look forward to going home in the afternoon again so that I can "nap" (btw, im 28 yrs old--should i really be needing to take ONE OR TWO NAPS EVERY DAY?!...and am feeling my positive outlook dwindle from all the sudden fatigue suddenly crashing upon me!! =(
Am just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms several months after getting off Subs? If so, what were some things that you found to be helpful? Also.....could this way I am feeling now, 4 months clean, be caused by PAWS?
Also, any suggestions on the medication front... would be VERY much appriecate right now. Not sure what to do to treat my ADD and fatigue- was considering Welbutrin for the next trial run.... any thoughts?
Thanks to everyone out there-- keep fightin' the good fight,.... be well =)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Sarah, thanks for your post.

I'm getting close to 4 months off Subs, and I can relate to some of the detox symptoms you're talking about, like low energy levels at times, and difficulty concentrating at certain points during the day. (I'm still sneezing occasionally, and my GF tells me I still have RLS -- not bad enough to wake me up, but it's probably compromising my sleep.)

I need to take a pause every couple days to remind myself that I'm going through a recovery process, and all I can do is apply myself as best I can -- good diet, exercise, a committed addiction recovery plan -- and accept that I can't 'speed up' the process.

I put years -- a couple decades, really -- into an opiates and cocaine addiction that nearly killed me, and it's unrealistic to expect the physical effects of my addiction to end overnight. If I compare myself now to where I was at the time of my jump, or during my years on Methadone/Subs, I can see that I'm light years ahead in terms of quality of life stuff. But I don't waste much time making this comparison, I just try to find whatever happiness and contentment there is for me in this present day.

If you're dragging yourself through the day, and needing a couple snoozes along the way, maybe there are some things you can look at. Diet (with supplements) and exercise are huge in terms of the physical recovery process. What are you doing with respect to an addiction recovery program?

Personally, I rely on 12 Step -- not just going to meetings, but actually working the steps to the best of my ability every day. Even when I'm starting to feel a little demoralized about continuing withdrawal symptoms, I can still find a sense of inner peace, and a belief that the symptoms are passing, and that I'm getting stronger over time. Without this strength, I think I would feel pretty hopeless at times.

Good luck.

-- ji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great advice. Exercise in particular seems to make such a difference...

Some docs seem to think that people on buprenorphine get a continuous 'high' from it, day after day, for years. I don't think that is the case... I see as many people on buprenorphine who become flat and depressed as I do in people who never took buprenorphine or opioids. I could be wrong-- but my best guess is that you are still in PAWS, and you WILL get better eventually... but you might need an antidepressant for a spell, maybe even augmented with Abilify... but taking stimulants and modafanil is 'playing with fire', and will ultimately delay the process.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SarahW504 wrote:
Taking Nuvigil made me feel clear headed, and my thoughts were no longer jumbeld and random and all over the place! And yes, it gave me extra "artificial energy", but I'm talking more along the lines of... can get through the tasks of your day easy breezy...vs jittery, can't sit still, type energy. This medication could've done wonders for me... I know it was "safe" for my recovery, and that the way it made me feel, I could accomplish the things I needed to, instead of stuck in bed or napping, aka being a bum. The issue with the Nuvigil however, is that its extremly exspensive (theres no generic yet), and I definatly couldn't afford paying $538 a month!

What struck me was how much this description sounded like what many people say when they first get on Suboxone. They get their energy back, can tackle the day with ease... If it's too good to be true?

Quote:
Am just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms several months after getting off Subs? If so, what were some things that you found to be helpful? Also.....could this way I am feeling now, 4 months clean, be caused by PAWS?
Also, any suggestions on the medication front... would be VERY much appriecate right now. Not sure what to do to treat my ADD and fatigue- was considering Welbutrin for the next trial run.... any thoughts?
Thanks to everyone out there-- keep fightin' the good fight,.... be well =)

I don't know if it's PAWS, but the need to sleep lots is a common complaint in early recovery. The mind and body has a lot of recovering to do, and rest is needed. I've heard heaps of people share that when they got a feeling they'd normally "use" on, instead of using they'd have a sleep. I mean, given I was using drugs to be comatose, sleeping resembles using to me in some ways. Probably the closest thing a clean person can do to avoid their feelings without picking up.

I say, if you need to sleep more than usual in the first year or two of abstinence, so be it. At least you can't pick-up drugs while you're asleep!

Today I felt like absolute shite. Dunno if it was my bipolar, but I was sluggish, depressed and fogged over. The odd hopeless thought (the kind that can lead to me thinking "fuck it all") went through my head, so when I got home I had a nap. Woke up feeling fine. Another day clean. And I'm nearly 11 months off Sub and heroin. Whatever works.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:52 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I myself have been off for 2 years now. Still suffering from post acute withdrawal syndrome. You taking other drugs starts your recovery from day one. Read up on this site paws. I still get foggy. Better as time progresses. If you have this addictive tendencies why did you get off the suboxone? Sounds like a medication that really helped?

Good luck. PAWS and knowing about it will assist. Read more of the items in this area. They will tell you about what you are dealing with... First hand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Two years with absolutely no opiates but you still feel like you suffer from PAWS? I'm really curious why you think PAWS is lasting for two years? I've never heard of such a thing. Have you had some opiates or other controlled substances during that time? If not I'd be very interested in hearing why you think it's PAWS rather than some other more chronic condition causing this?