It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

On another thread the fact that many patients can't get much needed treatment because of the 100-patient limit was recently raised. It was discussed that the law regarding this limit really must be changed. Upon looking it up I found (not surprisingly) alot of information from NAABT.org. Here's the link: http://www.naabt.org/30_patient_limit.cfm

As best I can tell, the 100-patient limit is part of an amendment to the Controlled Substance Act, Public Law 109-469, section 1102. It's called the Drug Addiction Treatment act of 2000(DATA 2000). DATA is where the special license and patient limit come into play. (Please anyone correct me where I'm wrong.)

It seems Senators Levin and Hatch were heavily involved in this. Carl Levin is one of my Senators and has always been receptive to correspondence/contact, as has my other Senator.

I would suggest we start contacting our congressmen/women in order to get the 100-patient limit completely erased or at least increased.
It would be great if doctors and/or health care professionals would also join in on this.

I'm not trying to turn this forum into some political action committee, but this is something that affects people just like us. What would have happened to any of us if we hadn't been able to get the treatment we did WHEN WE NEEDED IT?

Here's a sample letter I've drafted:

Dear Senator,
I’m writing to you about the 100-patient limit under the Drug Addiction Treatment act of 2000 (DATA 2000). I’m lucky enough to say office-based Suboxone medication-assisted treatment has given me my life back.
I’m part of an online forum full of professionals and recovering addicts alike. Too often we run across people desperate to find a Suboxone doctor only to be hit with the dead-end of a too-long waiting list. I don’t have to tell you just how bad that story can end when someone cannot get the help they need, when they need it.
I’m asking you respectfully to sponsor and/or support a bill amending DATA 2000 to increases the patient limit. Doctors have been dealing with the 100-patient limit successfully for years now. In order to reach more people with a proven treatment method, we need to raise that patient limit if not eradicate it altogether.
The end result of allowing doctors to treat more patients would be striking in its effect to save more people from deadly relapses and overdoses. There will always be patients who divert their legal medication and that will not change. Raising the limit will not change that and in truth it will only serve to treat more patients. Treating more patients means more productive members of our society, all working together to re-build our troubled economy.

Thought from anyone? I know this is a long post, and perhaps a tall order, but I think it's an important discussion and action should be taken.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How about a version for those of us who merely care for someone with addiction problems;

Dear Senator,
I’m writing to you about the 100-patient limit under the Drug Addiction Treatment act of 2000 (DATA 2000). I’m lucky enough to say that I have never been addicted to opiates, however I care for someone who was. I say 'was' because office-based Suboxone-assisted treatment has returned my friend to me.

I’m part of an online forum of professionals, recovering addicts, and concerned laymen. Too often we run across people desperate to find a Suboxone doctor only to be hit with the dead-end of an impossibly long waiting list. Suboxone treatment can mean the difference between a stable, productive life, and a life consumed by the constant craving for opiates, and the behavior that invariably leads to. I shouldn't have to tell you just how badly this story can end when a desperate user cannot get the help they need, when they need it.

I’m asking you respectfully to sponsor and/or support a bill amending DATA 2000 to increase the patient limit. Doctors have been dealing with the 100-patient limit for years now. However, in order to reach more people with a proven treatment method, we need to raise that patient limit if not eradicate it altogether. The end result of allowing doctors to treat more patients would be far more people saved from potentially deadly relapses and overdoses.

There will always be patients who divert their legal medication. It happens already. Suboxone is on the streets now. Raising the limit will not change that. However, what it will change is the number of patients desperate for treatment who can actually get it. These people are not degenerates. They are our friends, lovers, spouses and siblings. They need our help.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm with you Xeno - I had my husband write a letter very similar to yours. We've already sent them out.

Anyone else?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ya this is a good idea i wonder if an email would work to are senators and dont forget congressmen there r more of them in most states atleast and they have alot less area to govern or people they serve it would probably be better to go that route then to write a senator. But either way its a good idea. Just getting one to actually give a shit and try to do something about it is another thing. i am kinda curious did the data 2000 act or whatever go in under bush of clintion cause if it went under bush i will have to retract my statement that the marlboro man i mean bush never did anything right and but then agian i could believe this would be a republican thing letting dr take more paients to make money letting the rich get richer and the poor get poorer but ne way it is a good thing either way and ya it should be raised of have no limit seein as how my appt last for about ten min at the most i think they could take alot more people