It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:27 pm 

This is a link to an scholarly article published in the Official Journal of the Academy of Pediatrics in January 2012. The title is Neonatal Drug Withdrawal.

A quote on page 11 indicates that babies of mothers maintained on buprenorphine are at less risk for NAS than mothers on other opiate medications:

"68% of infants born to mothers maintained on methadone required pharmacologic treatment at a mean age of 58 hours, compared with 82% of infants at a mean age of 33 hours in the morphine group and 21% of infants at a mean age of 34 hours in the buprenorphine group."

Although the article does not end up recommending buprenorphine as the maintenance drug of choice over methadone because there is not yet enough evidence, it does suggest that studies so far are indicating that buprenorphine exposure to neonates results in fewer cases of NAS.

Sounds promising!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 pm 

Thanks Amy for providing this. Sarah, read this information before making any changes or decisions about your pregnancy.

rule

bump, bump, bump

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bupe is the main ingredient of all opiod tolerant drugs... Suboxone,Subutex, Zubsolv, and Bunavail..does this information pertain to Bupe or a specific opioid medication containing Bupe? Ive read Subutex or Suboxone doesn't pass the placenta wall, does anyone know if this is true?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That's awesome that suboxone does not always result in NAS. I have heard stories of mothers who's babies had ZERO withdrawals while undergoing suboxone mainteinance. It's so sad that people get judgemental of these mothers who are doing the right thing, it is not their fault that the body's chemistry works a certain way. I would rather be off subs when pregnant than not, but I take comfort in these statistics knowing that when I am pregant and if I am still on subs that my baby has a chance to be born without NAS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ive read Subutex or Suboxone doesn't pass the placenta wall, does anyone know if this is true?

Abraham Lincoln was noted to have said don't believe everything said on the internet.

Buprenorphine in any product, Suboxone, Butrans, Bunavail, or any other iteration will cross the blood brain barrier as well as the placenta. Hence, the chance of NAS, but that said it is probably less than any other opioid out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buprenorphine does cross the placenta, no matter the brand of drug. But the level of mu opioid activation is capped at a level about equal to 40 mg of methadone. People on methadone maintenance are almost always taking higher doses, and therefore on higher degrees of opioid activation. Typical methadone maintenance doses START at 60-80 mg, and go 120 mg or higher. So babies born to those moms have much higher opioid tolerance-- 100% to 300% higher--- than those born to moms on buprenorphine.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So, I've been at a treatment center for one year. I have seen a lot of girls come and go and I have seen a lot of different experiences with their babies having nas. My daughter was in the nicu for two days. She did not have to be medicated. I have seen babies suffer from nas for weeks from subutex, others none at all. The same goes for methadone, but, every once in a while, a baby will not withdrawal much at all. In my opinion, from what I have seen at this treatment center, methadone is worse for the baby to withdrawal on. They spend long amounts of time in the nicu and almost all of them have to be medicated.