It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just found this site -- Suboxone has changed my life and probably saved it. I was severely addicted to Lortab for 17 years and didn't think I'd ever quit. I went through dozens of detoxes, rehabs, jails, mental hospitals, etc., and wanted to quit using so desperately, but I couldn't. I also went to hundreds and hundreds of 12-Step meetings and attempted to "work the program," but never could stay clean. I just turned 40 this month and have been clean on Suboxone for 10 months. I'm also Bipolar II, and the psych meds are an integral part of my sanity and continued sobriety. I wouldn't dream of not taking my Seroquel or Lamictal, so why would want to quit taking the ONLY thing that has allowed me the opporunity, the invaluable gift, of getting to raise my grandbaby? My doctor wants me to quit in a few months. I have to convince him otherwise, and I hope Dr. Jurig's enlightened opinion will persuade him. I said for many years that once my kids grew up, I'd shoot heroin till it killed me. I meant it. Screw Lortab; I was going to go back to heroin, which was the love of my life but which I only did briefly. I didn't want to die till my kids were grown, and I knew it would kill me fast. So I stayed on Lortab, went through years of therapy, meetings, etc., and hung on, waiting for the day my daughter turned 18 and went to college. Last March, 2 weeks after she turned 18, I got on Suboxone. I haven't craved Lortab -- or, thankfully, heroin -- in 10 months. I don't want to die. I'm still very close to both my kids, and my 20-year-old son has a precious baby whom they trust me to care for often. In fact, we all live in the same apartment complex. They didn't stop needing me when they grew up, and they didn't abandon me like I thought they would. I still see an excellent psychiatrist and a therapist. Of course, I still have depression, anxiety, and sometimes loneliness. But I'm clean for the first time since I got hooked on opiates at the age of 22. I'm only angry that Suboxone wasn't around then! I would like to talk to other people who don't like 12-Step meetings. I'd also like to talk to other lesbians, and anyone from Oklahoma. Good luck to all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi kerrilogsdon, welcome to the forum. I love your signature line!

I'm always glad to hear another story about someone getting their life back...so inspiring.

See you around the forum.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:34 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hello... Liberal, Secular Humanist, Iconoclastic, "NO 12-STEP-MEETING," Educated, Bipolar, Lesbian Pill-head,
Welcome to the forum...
While I CAN'T help you with "talk to other lesbians, and anyone from Oklahoma"!!( straight 49 y.o. male from Boston..)
I can relate to your Suboxone use...
I also feel that Suboxone has given me another chance at life. I was heavily addicted to Oxycodone for years before I came clean with my Dr. and he got me to a Subox Doc!! I am however also a recovering alcoholic. I do go to meetings daily for support. I don't preach the 12 steps and to be honest I haven't even started them!! ( 8 months Sober) I do like the support I get from the meetings though? Anyway, welcome and best of luck in your continued recovery! Keep posting here so we can know how your doing...

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

if what you're doing works for you, I'm all for it. Sounds like you've been around the block trying to find happiness and freedom. If your doc won't get on the long term bus and that's what you want, I'd start shopping for another one. I've been in NA for years and I've definitely seen people work hard and still have trouble. You might try it again, while on the Sub. I'm not convinced that some people don't just have a "heroin deficiency' that we sometimes joke about. Suboxone seems to fill the deficiency for some people. My fear about Sub is if I decided to live the rest of my life on it, I'd want to go ahead and get that lifetime supply up front, because getting dependent on it puts you in a real dependency on people and laws and manufacturers that may not give a crap at some point in time. It's not like being dependent on food and air, which are naturally in abundance all around us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kerrilogsdon-

I am so happy to hear of your success in your recovery, your improvement shines in your words.Your story is vital to Suboxone getting the props it so deserves. One thing I want to offer is some other links to support and education that will be very beneficial to you in your life, if you need anything or have any questions, just ask- that's why we are here.

National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Support

A wealth of information on Buprenorphine and Support

Addiction Survivors

This site is a support forum for Suboxone Users and also offers online 12 step meetings that do not stigmatize the use of Suboxone as part of your recovery.

Turn To Help

A support site created by the makers of Suboxone.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

Government operated site for Buprenorphine information and treatment.