It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a former heroin addict with just about 2 years clean. I had been on suboxone for about 3 years and over time I tapered myself down to 1mg a day. I recently decided to finally got off of it b/c I feel like a slave to the drug. I am on my 5 curling day of being off the stuff cold turkey. I have had all the acute withdrawal symptoms (insomnia and restlessness being the worst) but l did finally fall asleep around 6 am this morning. when I woke up this afternoon I felt 10 times better. no restlessness my stomach is starting to settle. I what I really wanted to know is if the acute withdrawal symptoms are over with. this past week has been hell and I have heard of people felling the acute symptoms for over 10 days and scared that it will come back. plz can somebody enlighten me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi beanz,

Welcome to the forum!!

From what I've seen, most of those who jump off a lower dose seem to have their acute wd let up earlier than those who jump from a higher dose.

You jumped off 1mg and 5 days sounds about right for acute wd. You're more than likely still gonna feel a little crappy for a few more days, but the best remedy for that is to keep your mind and body occupied.

Do you mind if I ask what your plans are for staying off opiates? Got any recovery in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

first off thanks for the reply I was worried no one would. I have been attending meetings 3 to 4 days a week bearing if I can find a babysitter cuz I have 2 kids. I have not found a sponsor in na yet I cant seem to find neone that I can feel comfortable enough to open up to. most people that attend na around where I live I don't get along with or jus cant relate with must of the people I talk to are closer to my age. Ideally I would like someone who is little younger that I can relate too but will would push me to practice steps. idk if I am asking for to much or if I jus live in the wrong neighborhood. I jus cant seem to find the right person could u give me some advice.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Beanz,

Wow, you have done great! Today is 6 days for you, how are you feeling now? Any sleep last night? I am just about in the same place you were at. I have tapered down to 1mg, I have only been there for 3 days now. I am hoping that I will get adjusted here and stay at 1mg for a few weeks then continue down. For me it made more sense to get down as low as possible before stepping off because I am SCARED TO DEATH of those withdrawals you went through. I have been on the subs for a year now. I totally understand you being ready to make the jump though, whatever works for you! I don't know for sure if your acute WD is over with but it sure sounds to me like you are on the downhill portion of your marathon. I would guess that you would continue to feel a little better every day. I wish you the best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey beanz,

I attended NA daily for a year and went through 3 sponsors. I just never could find one that clicked for me. So you're not alone in having trouble finding a sponsor.

Have you ever thought of working directly with an addiction counselor?

Also, you may want to try some meetings that aren't in your neighborhood, you may have better luck finding a sponsor there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:50 pm 

Hi Beanz, and welcome to the forum! How are you feeling today? Did you get any sleep last night? I don't have any experience jumping off at 1mg, but I'm thinking that your symptoms won't get much worse. You'll start to feel better day by day, but don't get discouraged if you feel cruddy again after feeling better for several days. It happens. What you're doing is very hard, so be proud of small successes and be patient with yourself. :)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hey guys sry its been a couple of days and idk if ne one is even gona look at this again cuz this is now an old topic. but I jus got my first decent amount of sleep last night , probably b/c I was up for 2 days prior. I am glad to finally sleep b/c staying up for that long and being that uncomfortable was really driving me nuts. today I am exhausted but I am great full just for getting this far. I have noticed that each day gets a little better and I defiantly think I am over the hardest part now. but thank you all for sharing with me it really helped get me though this.