It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was pulled over yesterday and the cops found my subs and subutex in my purse. I have no prescription though I do use them as prescribed to stay off heroin. The cops let me go and took my pills and told me I have to call them within a few days and be willing to comply and basically work for them as an informant/nark or else their going to charge me with a felony. What should i do? I have no record right now and I am a 24 year old female. please help me im scared shitless and DONT want to be a nark nor do I want a felony. ANY suggestions or informational resources?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You should get a lawyer asap.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
You should get a lawyer asap.

I dont have any money

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You are not going to work for anybody.They let you go and threw the pills out.There was no paper work done about pills on the car stop.If there was they would have to arrest you and let central know on the radio before they took you in.Trust me I am a former police officer and things just don't work like that.If they documented finding narcotics on you they would have to bring you in to the satation house and you would be put through the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice to have information from a former police officer...that's for sure! I suspected it sounded fishy. If they were going to charge you with a felony, you would be given a public defender anyways. I wouldn't want to work for them either. I would however go to a doctor so you can get subs legally. You should be followed by a doctor. What probable cause did they have to go through your purse anyways? That sounds pretty screwed up.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: what to do?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

After reading the post from Don'tsleep I think if I were you I would just ignore the situation with the police, i.e, I would definitely NOT call them. If they called or otherwise approached me again, I'd probably post here again, and/or contact some kind of legal aid for people who don't have money for a lawyer. Jackcrack has a good point about getting a doctor so you can stay on sub legally and hopefully then have a knowlegable doctor to help you manage your sub dose, etc. I know how hard it is if you don't have insurance (or money) but I hope you can figure out something. Sorry I don't have any specific advice about getting a sub doctor, etc, without any money...I do know that there are some programs for sub patients to get the medication free. Anyway, I hope this thing with the police just disappears. I wish you the best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another thought....if they didn't really have probable cause for the search of your purse to begin with then wouldn't the charges be dropped? Maybe they knew that to begin with and they just thought they would get something else out of you knowing they couldn't really charge you anyways. But to be on the safe side, I would highly consider getting the sub legally. At least if you had to go to court you would then be able to explain to the judge you were just trying to manage your addiction in a private way and since learned you could get it through a doctor and maintain your privacy and that you have had x,y,z clean drug tests since, and blah blah blah and I bet you would get off anyways even if you were charged. That is what I would do.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree with the others to get your subs legal.The whole story doesn't sound right but for what it's worth,
keep in mind you were not charged with anything and if these officers do come across you again,get their names and sheild#'s.Ask for them.They legally have to give them to you.If things get hairy tell them you want to speak to the patrol supervisor immediately about the situation.What they did to you was illegal!The stole your property and did not report it.
Perhaps beneficial to you since you were not arrested or charged with anything.Not even a summons.

Good luck.

Post subject: illegal cops
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yeah, those cops messed with you in an illegal manner. Did they take down your name and other info? Are you afraid that they will call you or come by your house or look for you around town? Did they even give YOU any specific contact info about you calling them? I don't know how situations with informants for police are handled legally, and I wouldnt' be at all surprised to learn that cops are know to commonly break regulations when it comes to informants. It really sounds like in this case these cops were trying to intimidate you. I know it's easy to be intimidated by the police (in your shoes, I'm sure I'd feel thoroughly intimidated. But maybe you'll just never see or hear from them again. Still though, I agree with Jack, just in case, if you DID get charged and had to go to court, if you had a legal prescription to show the judge by the time you had to apear, or even a letter from a doctor's office or program of some kind showing that you had signed up for an appointment, the judge would let you off, maybe with stipulation that you complete some kind of program.

In any case, it would just be better, no matter what, to get your sub legally. I hope you'll look into trying to find a way to do that. I know that coming up with money for doctors or programs is a real obstacle if you don't have insurance, but there ARE patient assistant programs out there and free or sliding scale doctors and programs or maybe you could try mental health clinics if there are any for low-income people in your area? I get my sub through a psychiatrist, personally. And...you are paying for the sub you get illegally now, right? So, at least you have SOME money, I don't know how much sub costs on the street but i doubt it's very cheap. And doctors will take credit cards--i dont' mean to put you on the road to credit card debt, but if it's the only way to get the health care you need, maybe you should consider that.

Others on this forum may have more specific advice for you about how to get a sub doctor even if money and/or insurance are obstacles for you, so I am hoping you stick around. I'm interested in your story too, and hope it turns out ok as far as the police, but also that you could get on sub legally. I also bet that there are a lot of people out there like you using sub pretty much the way it's supposed to be used, but without a prescription or a doctor. It would be a shame, if someone like you, if you're really doing well on the sub, couldn't get a legal prescription, and a much worse shame if you end up in trouble with the law becasue you're trying to treat yourself with the sub illegally because you don't have insurance. I hate how unfair the current medical system we have is.

Anyway, I hope you post again and let us know how things go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There are lawyers out there who offer free legal advise, you just have to get on the web or the yellow
pages and find out who/where they are. Please please, talk to a lawyer before you agree to work with them.
Even if you can't pay a lawyer, the first consult if always free.
Make an appt. with a lawyer, don't mention anything about whether you can pay or not. Tell the
lawyer everything that happened and they will offer some advise. In the meantime keep your head
low and go the speed limit (as it were ) THE POLICE ARE NOT OUT THERE TO ''HELP'' YOU
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY. THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS NO MATTER HOW
SMOOTH THEY TRY TO LAY IT ON YOU.

Much of the time even if you give them names and whatever else they want they will burn you anyway.

Let us know how things go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes the cops tokk my ID and gave it back so they have my name address and stuff. They told me what will happen is they will put the pills and info in a envelope that will sit on their desk for a few days and if i dont call they will forward it directly to the DA as a convicted felony and they will issue a warrant out for my arrest. As far as them searching my purse...the driver of the vehicle gave consent to a search. does that matter?

Post subject: Re: illegal cops
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As for the search...the driver of the vehicle gave permission....What the cops said would happen is that they would take my pills and info (yes they took my id and wrote down my name and address and gave it back to me) and put it in an envelope that would sit on the officers desk for a few days, and if i dont call by then they will forward it over to the DA and it will be an automatic conviction felony and they will then issue a warrant out for my arrest. They also said they would stop at nothing even if it meant bustin down my parents house door to find me..which was obviously a scare tactic...But still im worried. You all have put my mine at rest a little but the whole issuing out a warrant and automatic felony conviction thing still scares me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dontsleep wrote:
You are not going to work for anybody.They let you go and threw the pills out.There was no paper work done about pills on the car stop.If there was they would have to arrest you and let central know on the radio before they took you in.Trust me I am a former police officer and things just don't work like that.If they documented finding narcotics on you they would have to bring you in to the satation house and you would be put through the system.

even though they said that they would hold on to my info (name, address) and the pills and if i didnt call them they were going to forward it directly to the DA for a automatic felony conviction and then a warrant would be issued for my arrest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as I know, there is no such thing as an "automatic felony conviction." You are innocent until proven guilty.

The cops can arrest you for possession (or they could have at the time, I don't know if they can just come over to your house and arrest you any time after the fact, a lawyer could tell you that though). After you're arrested, the case goes to the DA who decides if there's enough evidence to bring a charge against you.

If a warrant is issued for your arrest and the cops arrest you, you have the right not to answer any questions and you have the right to a lawyer.

If the DA does charge you, you would have access to a public defender (if you have no money) and you would either make a plea bargain or you would go to trial. If this is the first time you've been in trouble with the law, then lots of times there are sentencing alternatives (like "drug court") that try to divert people into treatment rather than sending them to jail.

DO NOT trust the cops if they say that they will help you get a lighter sentence or not get convicted or charged or whatever. The cops do not have the power to make deals, only the DA does. The cops might try to pressure you into "helping" them bust someone else or some other bs, but they are not going to be helping you.

Here is a link to a thread on bluelight talking about a similar situation:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=523341

Please make some calls to some lawyers tomorrow. You should be able to get a free consult at least. And in the meantime, keep your nose clean - don't keep you Suboxone at your house or on your person if you don't have a scrip for it until you find out when/if the cops will be coming back for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

meanamean wrote:
dontsleep wrote:

even though they said that they would hold on to my info (name, address) and the pills and if i didnt call them they were going to forward it directly to the DA for a automatic felony conviction and then a warrant would be issued for my arrest?

Cops say a lot of things to scare people.They love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was once a police officer and you will never hear from them again. They might stop you and screw with you if they see you I would have pulled some one over I know is holding don't carry youR dope with you, you only need to dose once so leave it at home and if By some reason they do call you get a lawyer.Somthings not right there. Your ok. Just be smarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rsaylor8326 wrote:
I was once a police officer and you will never hear from them again. They might stop you and screw with you if they see you I would have pulled some one over I know is holding don't carry your dope with you, you only need to dose once so leave it at home and if By some reason they do call you get a lawyer. Something not right there. Your ok. Just be smarter

ok thank you. I deff need to b smarter about holding my subs on me. The only reason I had all of them with me anyway was because I had just got back into town from camping. I am just really NOT wanting a felony (obviously) and not willing to be the cops little biatch either. Im calling around for a free consult today and see what a lawyer says. Hopefully its good news. Im hoping they were just trying to scare me. I gotta say, it worked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I dont know if this makes any difference but i am in oregon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You will be OK don't worrie did you sighn a ticket court date anything like thats your ok.Dont sweat it you got lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm no expert but I would think that the driver of the vehicle giving consent allows them to search the driver's vehicle and their possessions, not your possessions. I would think you would have had to give consent for them to search YOUR purse. Furthermore, did they have any good reason to be asking the driving to do a search? Or were they just harassing you for the fun of it?

I would definitely talk to the attorney but keep in mind that IF they did send a charge in to the DA and issue a warrant for your arrest, you would still be given the opportunity to work for them most likely. If you chose not to do that, I am pretty sure Oregon has a drug court option and since you don't have any history of violence you would likely be eligible.

The only thing I haven't heard you say you will do is go get the sub legally. So I will be a nag and say it again that you should put that at the top of your priority list along with the lawyer. He is just going to tell you the same thing.

Let us know how it goes.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill