It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Least favorite aside from the ungodly withdrawals, that is.

I'm talking least favorite effects of being ON, not trying to come off.

I know that I [and probably most of us] love subs (...and *cough* any other opie....) because you can be on them and not spaz out. It's not benzos, or alcohol, or even weed. You can be on them with absolutely no mental impairment AT all. They're also not cigarettes- No 'extreme' long term consequences like lung cancer, COPD, hypertension. (That we know of, at least). None of the effects you get from alcohol like liver cirrhosis. So on.

But MAN! Is it just me, or are there are least a few pain in the ass side effects?
They may not be deadly but good god are they an inconvenience.

My absolute least favorite to date is the rotting of my teeth, suspectedly cross-linked to the subs and not some other factor. (refer to my initial post; the reply to the teeth forum)

Other less painful&embarassing issues are also a huge bummer.
Being constipated (gross) and having bowel obstruction false-alarm scares every other month
Hard time peeing... I feel like a 62 year old man with prostatic hyperplasia sometimes
Tiredness TO THE EXTREME. In w/d, I'm hard-pressed get 3 hours of sleep a night, and if those 3 hours are consecutive?! WOW, my lucky day! but ON subs? jesus. I fall asleep standing up at work. It's humiliating. I try my best to shake it off but sometimes it's so hard. On my days off, sometimes I go to bed so early that when my daughter wakes me up, I'll have had 12 hours of sleep and still be cranky and tired in the morning like i never laid down, until I sit around having coffee and 'waking up' for at LEAST an hour.
Nausea. This one seldom happens. But once maybe every month or two, I wake up in the middle of the night and have to run to the bathroom to throw up. It's like morning sickness, but for no apparent reason. (but then if I sleep for even an hour after I get sick, I'm completely fine when i wake back up. weird.)

These are the top ones for me. I can't think of too many more. But those alone are just a pain.! A pain which i am so blessed to deal with, being that it is so pale in comparison to w/d, but a pain nonetheless.

How about you guys? What happens to you?! What do you hate the most?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 am 

For someone who claims to just "love" suboxone, you sure come off like a troll. That is really obvious from what you say we love about being on suboxone:

"I know that I [and probably most of us] love subs (...and *cough* any other opie....) because you can be on them and not spaz out. It's not benzos, or alcohol, or even weed. You can be on them with absolutely no mental impairment AT all. They're also not cigarettes- No 'extreme' long term consequences like lung cancer, COPD, hypertension. (That we know of, at least). None of the effects you get from alcohol like liver cirrhosis. So on."

Most people here who just LOVE being on suboxone because it has saved their marriages, their jobs, their personal relationships, their finances and their very lives. You can go ahead and be as flippant and disingenuous as you want, and there are side effects to buprenorphine that can be unwanted, but most opiate addicts know the sense of desperation that causes them to go on bupe in the first place. It doesn't sound like you do at all. So why should we even believe that you have personally experienced side effects or withdrawals like a real opiate addict would?

As far as I'm concerned you are either here on some sort of anti-suboxone agenda, you're a dabbler in drugs who didn't like her last dental report, or you are just a troll who likes stirring up a load of crap on a forum that is for people who are in recovery from opiate addiction. You may think you're pretty smart, but addicts tend to see right through phonies who are here for mere sport.

You need to get serious about being in recovery or admit that you're just fooling around. You could be toying with an opiate addiction that will become a life and death situation like ours. Nobody wants that for you.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ally

I get the same impression as Amy about you. I went on bupe as a last resort. We don't need trolls or trouble makers here.

If you really were an opiate addict then I bet dental hygiene wasn't as important as your next fix.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

wow, that's pretty hurtful, dude.... Honestly.. I expected a totally different response.

No? No? and no.

I was just asking an honest question for god's sake.
You guys must get a lot of trolls here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for jumping on me.

But I was actually just looking to see if anyone was sharing the same experiences as me. I've creeped on these boards for a long time and read everyone else's similar experiences of jumping OFF...

But I guess no one wants to talk about the shtty side of being ON.

My bad, I'll try drugs.com next time.
"anti-suboxone agenda", lololol.
No, I won't be on that agenda until I jump off for good.
Which will never happen, because suboxone is a trap brought to you by the same people who brought us roxies. See, if i'm going to go on a 'anti suboxone agenda', i'm going to tell it like it is. We're all just as trapped as we were before and only some of us are humble enough to admit it.

But that wasn't the point of the post. The point was just a casual discussion about side effects... SIDE EFFECTS, the point of the board. Again- My Mistake, Didn't mean to offend anyone. We're all riding the same train together, no need to flame, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:03 pm 

Hi Ally, I will take you at your word and answer you. I feel that suboxone saved my life and when I read your post I felt really bad for you. I dont have all those side effects you mention. If fact, its quite the opposite. So much of what you reported is what I was experiencing addicted to opiates. Now, physically and mentally I am more balanced. So sorry about your experience. Maybe talk with your doctor and adjust your dose. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:31 pm 

I should also add that both Amy and Tiki have been a real support to me and have answered all of my questions with honesty and sincerity and I value their opinions tremendously! I hope that you are sincere in your concerns about side effects as they will be a help to you to, I am sure!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ally

I want to mention an experience I had. I was only on sub a short time and had major back pain, nausines, trouble urinating. Turns out it wasn't from sub at all. It was kidney stones that caused a bladder infection.

Maybe it's time you have a complete exam with lots of blood work. It's best to rule everything out before you assume you will have to live like you are. Ya never know

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'd have to say that the side-effects of Suboxone are a very, very mild disruption when compared to the side-effects I had from morphine. The constipation was there with both...so that's a wash. My sleep has improved because of the stability Suboxone provides...no up-and-down rollercoaster from dose-to-dose. I'm sleeping well through the night...if I'm sleepy during the day it's because I chose to stay up later than I should have. Actually, other than the constipation, which was there with morphine, I can't think of any side-effects from the Suboxone, however, I can list many, many benefits.

Is it possible that you're on too high of a dose? Many people find they really only require 2-4mg, or at most 8mg, for relief from WDs and urges.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm 

Since I had just responded to your post about how I and others were making "horrific generalizations" in your opinion regarding addicts and the level and amount of care they spend on their teeth in active addiction, I wasn't prepared to be light hearted while reading your next post.

The thing is, I didn't see any evidence that you actually understand what it feels like to be in active addiction. They way you talked about all drugs seemed flippant.

Why don't you tell us about your addiction and your experience on sub... why you got on it, how long you've been on it, how long you've been an opiate addict. I'm willing to start over if my assessment of you is wrong. And I've definitely been wrong before.

We talk about side effects here all the time. When I was on a dose of 16mg a day I experienced a lot of weird joint pain. As I tapered down to 6 mg a day the joint pain went away. Some people seem to have the worst side effects from the naloxone paired with the buprenorphine in sub. I have a bottle of stool softeners that I have to use occasionally for constipation, but I had worse constipation on oxycodone than I do on sub.

So here I am with my guard down. I hope you talk about your addiction authentically, but I have a feeling that you don't want to talk without taking little hits on sub here and there. I'd love to be wrong though! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:46 pm 

Just wanted to add my two cents on this. I read on one of these posts from AllyK about oxys and percocet and taking them and being able to get high. Maybe it was modified by the mods (which is exactly what should've been done imo). The reason I never responded to that post was because I don't really like discussing any of that honestly. Why would I care about how high I can get on other drugs while taking suboxone, that's why I take sub in the first place. I'm not interested in that. This is a recovery forum for ppl who take maintenance medicine to live their lives normally again. Ppl who wanna be on the right path again. Now if it's about surgery or something like that, then ok I get that totally.

The mods here aren't on power trips, they are doing a service to all of us just by being here. I truly trust their judgment completely and I always agree with their decision making process on keeping trolls out of here. I have never had any issues with them and I think that's because if ur here for the right reasons, there will be no problems. I hope I'm on the right post here lol cause I've been off here for a few days due to not feeling well. Just wanted to tell the mods......great job and thanks for looking out for us always :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The main thing that annoys me about being on maintenance is the sexual side-effects. I got next to no libido while on methadone or Suboxone. Now this could be seen as a benefit, as I can get quite sex-crazy when I'm off all opiates. My sponsor even suggested I go to a SLAA meeting when I was totally abstinent. However now I'm back on Sub, I ain't checking out nice looking ladies no more. I'm dating but my desire to get intimate with her isn't really there. I'm kinda faking it to be honest.

For a while I was really depressed as well, though that seems to have lifted the last couple of weeks so for now I put that down to the natural bipolar swing-of-things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 pm 

AllyK47, where are you? Did the negative responses make you leave the forum? Hopefully not. If you re-read your original post you might understand why some members thought you weren't very serious about recovery.

IMO, side effects seem to be different with each individual. So good topic to put up to see who is having what side effect. All of the one's you mentioned I have had too at one time or another. Except for the bad teeth. We've discussed that one ad-nauseum and no one has changed any minds. Those with bad teeth swear it's the Suboxone, and those w/o bad teeth say it doesn't do anything. We all sort of agree that opiates in general may cause a person to not take good care of their ivories but there is no empirical proof that Buprenorphine or Naloxone causes any tooth decay.

The real question is how much Sub you take in a day. I felt most of those symptoms when I was on higher doses.

All opiates cause constipation. There is medication for that, or just use plain fiber like I do and leave the rest to your intestines. (I mean LOTS of fiber)

I'm not going to post about each one of yours but I will say that I too have some fatigue but can shake it off by keeping busy. Lack of libido like Teejay said is a problem I share. Same with the peeing. But then, my age will account for that one.

Overall, not one symptom is bad enough for me to say anything negative about Suboxone. Only the good is what I focus on. One day I may quit and be Suboxone free but that day isn't today.

So please post again. We do care about how your recovery is going and want to offer helpful advice.

rule