It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Learning about suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on opiates for 16 years and need some advice about getting on suboxone. I find myself needing more & more I want to get off of the med's I'm currently prescribed. I am currently on methadone, percocet, firocet w/ codine, & xanax. My question is is it possible to get off all this crap without going through withdrawls? Please help me.... Thank you very much....

Post subject: What advise do u need?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Not sure what you need to know! I can tell you that it helped me about 15 minutes after taking it. I would have to say to begin you need to find a doctor and get an appointment. When you make the appointment they will tell you what you need to do, how long to be off doc and the monthly cost.
We will beable to help more it you could give alittle more information about what you need.
Good Luck,
Mel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi racefan - Yes, you can go on suboxone from all those meds, but unfortunately, you'd still have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals before starting the suboxone. That's usually about a day to a day and a half in withdrawals. I know it sounds bad, but it's TOTALLY worth it. I'm sure others will see this and respond and tell you just how worth it it was to them.

Like Mel said, the best thing to do is to start making calls to doctors and then pick one to make an appt with. There is a doctor locator at the top of every page of this forum as well as a few more. If you need the other online locators, just ask and I'll give those to you, too.

Good luck and if you have more questions about suboxone inductions, please just ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! Like Hat said you will have to be in withdrawl for around 24 hours but it is completely worth it. I was on oxy for pain and I couldn't take it anymore either so I got on sub and it was the best decision i ever made. I do not have to worry about my pills anymore and am actually getting better pain control. Yes I had to live thru a crappy 24 hours but imo that just made me appreciate sub treatment even more. What's one crappy day compared to a lifetime of health and happiness. I really hope you find a Dr and get on sub, it will change your life for the better!

Post subject: RE: Why 24-36 hours....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[quote="hatmaker510"]Hi racefan - Yes, you can go on suboxone from all those meds, but unfortunately, you'd still have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals before starting the suboxone. That's usually about a day to a day and a half in withdrawals. I know it sounds bad, but it's TOTALLY worth it. I'm sure others will see this and respond and tell you just how worth it it was to them.

Like Mel said, the best thing to do is to start making calls to doctors and then pick one to make an appt with. There is a doctor locator at the top of every page of this forum as well as a few more. If you need the other online locators, just ask and I'll give those to you, too.

Good luck and if you have more questions about suboxone inductions, please just ask.[/quote]

Hi, can you please tell me why I have to wait 24-36 with nothing before starting the suboxone? Thank you....

Post subject: Why 24-36 hours....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[quote="Breezy_Ann"]Hi and welcome! Like Hat said you will have to be in withdrawl for around 24 hours but it is completely worth it. I was on oxy for pain and I couldn't take it anymore either so I got on sub and it was the best decision i ever made. I do not have to worry about my pills anymore and am actually getting better pain control. Yes I had to live thru a crappy 24 hours but imo that just made me appreciate sub treatment even more. What's one crappy day compared to a lifetime of health and happiness. I really hope you find a Dr and get on sub, it will change your life for the better![/quote]

Can you please tell me why I have to wait 24-36 hours with nothing before starting the suboxone. Thank you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I answered your pm, let us know if you have anymore questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi eckon- welcome to the forum". from all the other shit and pain we go through.
it's worth the little change over. :wink:

Post subject: WARNING
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
No one touched on this part of the question, so I will. Xanax is a benzodiazepine and Fioricet is a barbituate/narcotic combination product. Suboxone would NOT be an effective replacement for these two medications, though as everyone else has said WOULD be for your narcotic dependence (oxycodone, methadone, codeine.) The way to get off of Xanax and Fioricet/Codeine would be with a medically supervised benzodiazepine titration, so be aware of this aspect of your case. You never want to stop benzodiazepines or barbituates cold turkey if ANY dependence exists as it can be fatal.

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I second Travis on that notion.

Any plans to get off all your medication will ..definitely.. need to be done with the assistance of your doctor, and most likely it will be a very gradual process, and there may even be some medications added temporarily to assist with the tapering. If your doctor is cautious, you may even need some brief periods in an inpatient detox.

It will be a long process, but the more patient you are, the easier it will be.

I've switched from methadone to Suboxone a couple of times. Once I got switched from 50mg to 4mg, another time 40mg, or 30mg? to 4mg (my memory is a bit foggy though). The second day I went to 8mg. The first day on Suboxone was difficult, as the withdrawal "changes" a bit and becomes speedier. By the third / fourth day I was feeling much better. One interesting thing my doc did was first put me on Subutex for the first couple of days, as he said it can make the transition slightly easier, so maybe check that out.. The whole thing was a bit painful, but really worth it. You really feel how much methadone "saturates" your mind/body after you switch! 24-36 hours without methadone, while I understand it can be scary to think of, is not as bad as it sounds. Your withdrawal symptoms from methadone only get really painful a few days into it.

The fear of withdrawal is an illusion our addiction uses to keep us using. We have no reason to fear the future. Just try to "keep it in the now", if you get what I mean, as fearing what may or may not happen can only add unnecessary stress.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

eckoneracefan wrote:
I have been on opiates for 16 years and need some advice about getting on suboxone. I find myself needing more & more I want to get off of the med's I'm currently prescribed. I am currently on methadone, percocet, firocet w/ codine, & xanax. My question is is it possible to get off all this crap without going through withdrawls? Please help me.... Thank you very much....

TO RACEFAN:

I think it will be much easier than you think. You are scared about withdrawls. I was on opiates for 29 years. My doctor made me wait only 12 hours before starting sub. They gave me subutex in the office and within 30 minutes I felt wonderful! Also , there is very little barbituate in the fiocet/codeine. As for the Xanax..you must taper off of it. I do not know how much you are taking, but you must decrease it gradually or you will have withdrawls from that and it is dangerous to stop it cold turkey. Xanax is a benzodiapine, not an opiate. You can do this! It will change your life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Because of the way suboxone works, before a person first takes it, their system can't be "fresh" from having taken other "regular" pain meds (full opiate agonists). If a person doesn't wait until they are in mild to moderate withdrawals before starting suboxone, then the active ingredient in suboxone, buprenorphine, will knock the full agonists off their opiate receptors and that will cause what is called "precipitated withdrawals". You do NOT want to experience that! It's said to be many times worse any withdrawal you've experienced thus far.

So the person just has to wait to be in mild to moderate withdrawals which could be anywhere from less than 24 hours to up to 3 days, depending on the medication the person is coming off of. If it's just regular, short-acting opiates, then you're looking at the shorter end of the spectrum.

I hope this helps make some sense to you. Again, please ask any questions you may have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.