It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Lawsuits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Why can a fat person sue for "McDonalds made me fat", or a lung cancer person sue for "i thought smoking was healthy" yet I can't sue because Reckitt's frelling ad said "suboxone is easier to come off than traditional opiates". Bull!!

Anyway why is it nearly impossible to sue a drug company for misleading information about the safety of their product? Is it a government conspiracy? The drug companies have these politicians and senators in their pockets? i mean look at the ad on TV for Lunesta and its approval for long term use. Then google Lunesta withdrawal. Yet why is their not a Morgan and Morgan ad on TV about " have you been taking Lunesta for longer than 2 weeks......."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah it's pretty much bull. But lawyers follow the $... if they thought we'd have a chance taking RB on they'd be all over it.

I'm no lawyer, but one thing that hinders our chances is our credibility. It's unfortunate but true that our credibility takes a hit once we become drug addicts. And to be honest, I think RB knows it too... which is why they've been a lot more brazen with their questionable practices... I do wonder if they'd have been this dodgy if it was a blood-pressure medication... or whether they woulda thought they coulda gotten away with it ... like they have so far.

While I'm not a fan of the culture of sueing when you stub your toe ... I'm also not a fan of how RB operates... it would be good to see them have their day. And maybe they will? Go for it night!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Night,

Where/when did RB say that suboxone is easier to discontinue than regular opiates? The info that comes with my strips does not say that. It says that a person will have withdrawl symptoms if they stop taking it. Even under the side effects catergory it says opiate withdrawl if discontinued. So Im just wondering where you saw this.

I dont think you could really sue RB for this anyway. I mean some people have had an easier time getting off sub than other opiates so thre is just a difference of opinion.

I know you have had a hell of a time getting off sub.....that really sucks. I hope you are starting to feel better! You worked hard for this.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Orange Doll,

That literature no longer exists. It did ~5 years ago when I first started suboxone. It was on their website and in a pamphlet my first sub doctor gave me. Wish I still had it. Even the detox place I went to knew about these statements. So the only way a lawsuit would even be possible is if you were put on suboxone at that time. At least the only loophole I found. At least putting a fact on their literature about the ease of discontinuation is a big error. If one person proves this fact wrong...... Well at least that's my theory. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Really? I never knew that.......

Yeah night, you may be right. I dont think they should be making statements like that. Ive been on sub 2.5 years and maybe RB stopped saying that. hmmmmm interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dunno if the blame lies squarely on RB for this. IMO it extends to the medical culture as a whole.

Doctors want to feel like what they're prescribing is doing the patients good ... because it makes them feel better as doctors to think the new medication they're prescribing is an advancement on the previous medication. While many are very open minded, scientific folk who weigh up the evidence, they're also human and are open to human failings.

Another thing is that for the most part they're really BUSY. So if there's this assumption being thrown around that buprenorphine withdrawals are milder than other opioids because it's a partial agonist, they may consider that to be a logical statement and run with it. If I had no practical experience with bupe withdrawal, I'd consider it to be logical. Most wouldn't even have the time to question it and research it. And even if they did, there's fuck all evidence even now into its withdrawal intensity... So if you could on the one hand be cynical and question this assumption that's floating around and question whether this drug you've been prescribing the last 5-10 years has actually done your many patients harm... or you could run with the assumption and still feel good about yourself as a doctor, feel like you're doing your patients good. I mean, they're clean and employed and their family loves them again? Seeing buprenorphine transition their crippled addict patient into a respectable member of society might make a doctor feel pretty chuffed.

It seems the medical world is really quick to trumpet the benefits of a new treatment, and much slower to acknowledge potential pitfalls when they emerge. Anti-depressant withdrawal syndrome is something that comes to mind. There was a shitload of evidence for acute withdrawal symptoms emerging before they actually acknowledged it.

Post subject: Lawsuits
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I so agree with you there Night. I have looked into the whole lawsuit thing, I think I need to try harder. I was on 32mg for eight years for pain management, thought this doctor was helping me. Now that some small surgery has helped the pain I am having a nightmare coming off the sub. Regardless to say I have a new physican, who was speechless when he found out my dose. Long story, will add more later. I am looking to sue though.

Post subject: Re: Lawsuits
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cammiek wrote:
I so agree with you there Night. I have looked into the whole lawsuit thing, I think I need to try harder. I was on 32mg for eight years for pain management, thought this doctor was helping me. Now that some small surgery has helped the pain I am having a nightmare coming off the sub. Regardless to say I have a new physican, who was speechless when he found out my dose. Long story, will add more later. I am looking to sue though.

[font=Comic Sans MS]While some people will have a hard time suing for simply having a hard time coming off of suboxone, you Cammiek on the other
hand....just might have a case. The guidelines for dosing as set forth by the FDA, RB, and physicians, is no where near that
dose!!! I'll find the link or some links when I have more time. But to prescribe that amount of sub for pain management is
absolutely absurd!!!! Please keep us posted as to what your lawyer says, and how it all pans out. I'd be very interested in this.
My dose for pain management and addiction is up there too. Not 32mg, but high enough. I am in the process of lowering it
myself. I'm planning on being down around 2mg 3x a day come the new year. Which shouldn't be too hard, considering it
is still above the ceiling. The drop should be relatively easy. Plan on starting this with my next script. I'm already down
a little bit....but want to drop a lot more.

Anyway, good luck with this, and please, if you feel up to it, keep us updated!!! Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Very interesting Cammiek. You definitely may have a lawsuit at least against your doctor. I too was put on 32mg a day for addiction when I first started sub. 32mg for a Vicodin addiction. For about 4 months anyway until that dr ended up in prison. After doing research I could have sued but what's the point of sueing a broke dr who's now Tyrone's woman. Anyway good luck. Doctors like that deserve to be sued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've heard of a fair number of people being put on doses of up to 32 mg per day for pain control. In my experience, it's not all that unusual. Maybe not typical, but certainly not rare.

Here's a copy of the Suboxone dosing guide: http://www.columbiapain.org/documents/S ... gGuide.pdf

It says: "It is believed that most patients can be stabilized on a dose between 12 mg and 16 mg; however, due to patient variability, each patient should be dosed to clinical effect. There is no maximum recommended dose; however, doses greater than 32 mg are not generally needed."

And, from the Medical College of Wisconsin: http://www.eperc.mcw.edu/EPERC/FastFact ... ff_221.htm

"For patients with mild to moderate acute pain, consider treating the pain with buprenorphine alone. The total daily dose of buprenorphine can be increased (to a maximum of 32 mg sublingual/day); it should be given in divided doses every 6-8 hours."

Cammiek, I just want you to know what you're up against when it comes time to litigate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade you from taking action. If you feel you were wronged by your doctor, then by all means, do something about it, because you are the one that has to live with your actions or inactions. Good luck with it and good luck coming off that high dose.