It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know this is a topic that's been discussed in the past, but with testing for subs becoming more common I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are now- late 2012- on how sub users should approach the situation..

I'll give an example- right now a good buddy of mine is freaking out because he got hired at a major, global soft drink company (not sure if its ok to say the name, but since its not my job I figure better safe than sorry- but it's not tough to figure out which one lol). His hiring is contingent on passing the background checks, DMV report, and a hair follicle style drug screen.. He's clean for everything else, but he's been on subs about a year- legally, under a drs care the entire time..

The test is performed by the in house nurse, at the in house medical facility they have on site at the bottling plant. It doesn't get sent out to a lab or anything. His dilemma is, does he just take the test and hope they don't test for subs- which is the only thing he could possibly test positive for? Or does he produce a script, take the test and risk not being hired - whether he tells them the script is for pain or addiction? Even if its for pain they may question his ability- physically- to do the job.

Both present their unique risks. Not telling them and producing a script if he tests positive seems like the logical solution but with these global companies its pretty common not to be given a chance to offer an explanation. You're just a number and they mark you down as eligible or ineligible and move on.

Sorry for rambling- just trying to provide you guys as much detail as possible. I see his dilemma but I don't know what to tell him. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this? Hate to see him play it wrong & end up missing out on the opportunity to have a great job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my understanding that if you have a prescription for a drug and you test positive for it, the lab that does the drug screen just reports that you passed the drug screen. In other words, they don't tell the employer that you tested positive for valium, but you provided a scrip for it. They just say you passed. Otherwise they would be violating your privacy.

Is there any way he can call the lab where he'll be submitting his hair sample and ask them about the process. He could be vague about it and just inquire as to how much information they supply to the employer. He will probably also get a bunch of paperwork to sign and he should look through it carefully to see exactly what he's consenting to when he takes the test.

The only reason I can think of that they would disqualify someone for a job based on taking a legally prescribed medication would be if the medication would interfere with job duties. Like if he's going to be driving a company truck or something.

I hope everything works out ok for him.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks DoQ.. I always thought that stuff was done thru a lab too but when I took mine it was done at the job site by the in house nurse on staff. I'm glad I didn't tell them about the subs. But the one I took was a 10 panel urine. He's taking a hair test. That's probably the same though right? Sticky situation for sure. I'm interested to see how this one works out. Since its a hair test its not like he could just put it off a week and stop taking subs.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Results
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:32 pm 

Hey NoGroovin,

Would you let us know what happens with this job? Personal medical information is a protected subject so it concerns me if a company would not hire someone if they happen to take Xanax for anxiety once in awhile. The applicant should not be asked what prescriptions they are on, it's none of their business. DOQ was correct about it affecting ones ability but that should be discussed after the test if he comes up positive.

I too may be looking for a job and nowadays they all ask for a drug screen so your information is important to know.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Rule,

I will. I know he takes the test tomorrow & he should have the results by Friday at the latest. His test is different from mine. Mine was a 10 panel, urine test done at the bottling plant. His is a hair test done at a facility about a 1/4 mile away from their bottling plant. He's gonna be there about 2-2 1/2 hours because they're giving him a physical, a heart rate test and the drug test.

I still don't know whether he should tell the lab about the suboxone or not. The company does everything by oshaa standards so I imagine its illegal to deny anyone a job based on taking a legally prescribed medication, but I don't know for sure. I understand his concern- I wouldn't want to tell anyone I was on subs if i didn't have to either..

It looks like its still a case by case basis with regards to suboxone and pre employment drug testing. I'm no closer to knowing how to handle it, that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

A cpl years ago when my hubbie and I first started sub he also started a new job where he was required to have a drugtest to get his DOT card. At that point they did not test for suboxone. Fast forward to now...my cousin who is also on sub just got a new job but had to have a physical and get his DOT card as he too would be driving a truck. He didn't disclose that he was on sub. As he was leaving the appt the Dr pulled him aside and asked if he is prescribed suboxone. He lied and said no and the Dr handed him a printout from pharmacy that showed he had in fact been prescribed the drug. He was given a choice of stopping the sub and getting the DOT card or obviously not getting the job. He chose to stop the sub .
From what I understand its only new hires that are subject to their pharmacy records being pulled and those that are having their cards renewed are all set....
I know his situation seems different from your friends as he won't be driving a truck but still thought I would throw this out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Whoa?!! They pulled his scripts? Is that even legal? Maybe the DOT guidelines are done by the states? I took a test for the DOT and the drug test was a breeze. A simple 5 panel urine screen. The physical was a pain in the ass because my blood pressure was slightly elevated so they made me come back once a month for 4 months but that was it.

It's pretty scary that they can pull our scripts if they want. What exactly is hipaa for? If our scripts can be pulled then I can see why people would risk buying it on the street. That's crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! I am absolutely shocked! :shock: They pulled pharmacy records??? Did he unknowingly sign a consent for that??? I am learning so much from this thread....but like nogroovin said, I am not any closer to understanding. I just thought he would have been protected by HIPPA or HIPAA however its abbreviated. What the heck are those laws for if any employer can just DO that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I want to say that he unknowingly signed when he was going thru all his paperwork but I can't 100% remember. I was shocked when he called to relay his story to me. I'm in the NorthEast and I do know that the doc that gave him his physical said it was a new policy they had regarding drivers and suboxone - methadone maintenance. So Its a new thing that they're doing up here...
On another note, they also just changed all the DUI and drug laws in my state and my FIL was pulled over this weekend after swerving (he spilled his coffee and went over yellow line) and they charged him with Driving Under the Influence for taking an ativan as prescribed by his Dr ...he had taken the pill 14-15 hrs before he was pulled over!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just talked to my buddy- he passed the hair test. Got the job. He WILL be driving for them eventually - they're actually getting him his CDL. That's a pretty good deal if you can get it. Lol. I also told him about the DOT and the prescriptions and he about shit himself. He had a dr appt last week and he asked his dr and the dr told him that was totally illegal. He said he doesn't know if they're doing it- but if they are, in our state anyway, it's not legal. I'm not sure what to think- that certainly would concern me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

nogroovin,

Im so glad your friend got the job. So are you saying he didnt tell them about the sub?

Lulubelle,

yeah what happenend to your FIL sucks. I was charged for dui for suboxone (prescribed.) it got reduced to neg driving and i still owe shit loads of money to the court. I dont think i would have been tested for sub but i admitted to taking it. dumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Orange doll,

No, he didn't tell them anything about the subs. He said it was a basic 5 panel hair test. I took a 10 panel urine test when I was on subs and didn't tell the company- passed with no problems. The DOT thing is kinda scary. So is your DUI incident. I don't understand that That's crazy