It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I found out I was pregnant when I was 20 weeks along. (I was on birth control, did not have much of a belly, no morning sickness, already irregular, etc.). I have been taking suboxone for two years WITHOUT a prescription after quitting using pain medication.

So, I am now 35 weeks pregnant. I have been slowly lowering my suboxone dosage and currently take 1mg of the 8mg strips. It has been easy for me to taper down, and I told myself I would make sure that I am comfortable as I taper down so that the baby doesn't feel discomfort. However, I am now having such a hard time dropping from 1mg to .5mg!!! I work at a fairly physical job, and every time I have tried to take less, the pregnancy aches and pains are hard to deal with. I don't know if the difference is psychological? If I didn't have to work at my demanding job, I feel I would be fine.

As others have said on this forum, I have chosen not to tell my doctor I use suboxone. I had decided to just taper off, and quit using suboxone before my baby came after researching this topic.

The clock is ticking, and I don't know if I can lower the dose. I know that people may judge me for this, but I am very scared about giving birth while still taking suboxone. I do not want to run into legal issues with CPS for taking suboxone while pregnant. I am concerned they may test for the suboxone (ugh I feel like a horrible person), and I don't want my baby to feel discomfort once he is out on his own. Where I am giving birth, I think they drug test everyone (although I have no idea if they test for bup, I have heard a "13 panel" test includes a bup test), and I just hate that I don't have a prescription. I don't even know how long I'd have to be off of it for it to not show up in a test, and I cannot seem to find a reliable answer, but my baby's comfort/health is more important than cutting myself off cold turkey just to avoid failing a test. I didn't get the prescription due to the expense. It's cheaper for me to not have to go to the visits, but now I regret that decision. Also, my family does not know I take suboxone. They do not think suboxone is okay, they think it's the same thing as using opiates, even though I have explained it to them. After hearing how they feel, I decided against telling them when I started taking it two years ago. I feel extremely alone, and terrified of having to tell my family or doctor.

Any advice or stories that may give me some comfort are appreciated. I need to try to get off suboxone soon, and any advice on easing the transition would definitely help. Has anyone dealt with CPS after taking suboxone while pregnant? Sigh... I wish I didn't ever struggle with using, but suboxone was the best option for me to get off opiates. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Many studies have looked at outcomes of babies born after being on opioids during pregnancy, and ALL show NO long-term health effects on babies or children. I have had a couple patients referred to me by CPS after taking buprenorphine on their own for years, but then testing positive for opioids when delivering babies. It all worked out OK, but I'm sure they had the same fear that you do now.

My concern is that the withdrawal will have negative impact on your baby by interfering with your diet, or keeping you from getting normal, low-level exercise that benefits pregnancy. If you are not gaining sufficient weight, your best choice is to delay stopping buprenorphine until some point after you deliver.

Tough choices-- but you did the right thing by getting off agonists, which would have been worse for both you and your baby had you stayed on them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Remmusx, I'm in the same situation pretty much :/ but at least you have time to come clean. I have 2 days. And I seriously doubt I could pass the drug test now even if I didn't take anymore suboxone. But after 4-7 days bupe should be out of your system. I'm terrified of cps also. Keep us updated on how everything goes okay! God bless

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm 

I think you still have time to do a more gradual taper. One thing you could try is to take 1 mg one day and .5 mg the next. Or you could try tapering to .75 mg instead of going straight to .5 mg. I understand your reasoning for trying to get off sub before you have your baby, but you sound like you really want to be responsible too. So I suggest that you only keep tapering if you aren't feeling heavy withdrawal symptoms.

One thing, if it is too hard on you and your baby to taper all the way off sub, tell your OB before delivery. If they find out about the sub from a drug test rather than from you I think you will face much more judgement. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies! I was able to drop down to .5mg two days ago by splitting the dose, I feel okay. Splitting the dose made it so I didn't even feel much of a difference. For anyone who may be trying to taper, I started splitting the dose the same day I posted this. I was taking .5mg twice a day, morning and night. Then, two days ago, I split the .25mg twice a day once in the morning and once at night. Like I said, not much of a difference at all. WAY easier than taking it once a day and trying to lower the dose. I am going to try to stop taking it all together in a week. If I feel uncomfortable, I will split it one more time for a few days.

@admin1 - I agree with it affecting my diet or sleep. I have been very concerned about doing anything that could make my baby feel discomfort or affect his growth. Luckily, I feel okay now after splitting the dose. I walk my dog around the block, exercise helps me feel better, so I am just going to try and stick to the normal work/light exercise routine I've been doing. I am also now on track with weight gain, and from the beginning baby was measuring right on. I hope I am making the right choice, I really do appreciate your input!

@Babygirl6412 - I just saw your post, I am going to go read it and comment there! Good luck! Please keep in touch about whatever may happen.

@Amy-Work In Progress - Thanks for your response. I am definitely going to allow myself to taper more gradually if I have to. We will see this next week how I feel when I try to stop. I appreciate the advice! That's a good idea to tell them if I am unable to taper off successfully. It will be better, but I am so nervous about it! I don't know how they will react.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to check in. It's been almost two days since I took suboxone. I am feeling alright, a little sluggish/normal pregnancy pain, but my S/O has been making food for me.

I wanted to make sure I and the baby are comfortable, so I purchased a bunch of gatorade/juice/water jug & bananas/apples. I have also taken imodium (just the recommended dose on the bottle) which helps a lot at night.

No problems with appetite (or sweet tooth lol) and no anxiety or anything concerning. Hopefully, I can be done with suboxone for good! I love suboxone, and wouldn't have gotten clean without it, but it is still something that I depended on, illegally too. It will feel nice to not have to take anything to function.

I still have a lot of nervousness around them possibly testing baby's meconium for Bup, and I hope that I won't be in trouble for using suboxone during pregnancy, even though the baby won't be born dependent on it. I can't find anything about people being tested for Bup when they give birth, except people who admitted they used it, so I don't know if they regularly test for it or if they only test for it if they have a suspicion of use.

I just wanted to give an update! If anyone was interested... haha. <3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is so awesome, Remmus! I love reading posts like that. It gives me so much more motivation. So thank you! I'm 30 weeks and wanting to get weaned off completely, but I've been having a really hard time.
I'm happy to hear you aren't having bad symptoms. Did you go any lower than .5 mg a day?
Please continue to keep us updated!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, I ended up taking like .125mg yesterday because I now have a horrible cold, and I just did not feel well at all mainly because of the cold.

In my last post, I took .25mg twice in one day (so .5 in total), then waited like a little over 48 hrs and now took .125, now it's been like 24 hours and I am not craving it or feeling too bad (other than my cold). I know suboxone has a long half life, but when I was taking 1mg I started wanting more at at like 8-12 hours of not taking it. I have read that being pregnant increases your blood volume and metabolism, so that could be why I needed it sooner.

I am not going to take anymore, unless I feel I have to. I read this tapering thing somewhere a while ago about how the person tapered down to .25mg skipping days (1 day take .25, skip a day, take .25, skip two days, take .25, skip three days, take .25, and then by the fourth day they had no withdrawal symptoms, but I gather even before that they didn't have really bad symptoms.) I think that might kind of keep the train wreck feeling off, and ease you into not taking it all. I think I'm alright, but with this cold I may take another .125 in another one or two days, just to ease off a little more. I'm just open to seeing how I feel, but I think I feel okay enough now to hopefully not need more.

Why did I have to get sick right now?????? Luckily I am not working now. I have three weeks til my due date, so hopefully baby doesn't come early or anything and I am better and also completely off suboxone.

@GiveMeHope - Take it slow, really ease off suboxone. I would try the skip days thing! I keep seeing that everywhere online and it seems like it makes it so much easier! You still have 10 weeks, so don't try and jump off it too soon. Get to like .25, then skip days. I am going to keep posting day by day to update with how I'm feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Remmus,

I just wanted to comment here. We have alot of people who post their experience about tapering. There does tend to be a pattern that gets repeated, but I think the most important thing is to do it the way YOU feel comfortable. If skipping days helps you, then do it! The important thing is to keep in mind there is no right or wrong way to do this. The end result will be the same no matter how you get there. Obsessing about making your taper fit an accepted mold isn't going to be of any benefit.

It sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!

Oh, and about the cold. It seems to be pretty common for people who are tapering or newly off of suboxone to get sick. I don't know for sure, but I think it might be a bit stressful on the immune system or something. We have seen this same complaint many times here.

Be good to yourself and your baby. Before you know it they will be here and all of this will be a distant memory!

Q

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Remmus how are you doing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ditto...How are you doing Remmusx?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been off suboxone for a week now, and I am feeling great! I took my final dose in the taper on the 19th (it's now the 28th) then I took that little extra bit (.125) on the 21st last week, so yeah officially a week of not taking any more.

Honestly, the days before taking that little .125 more were a little difficult, but after I took that little piece, I have felt fine, maybe a little tired, but overall nothing too bad. I have had a cold the whole time, but I am starting to get some energy.

Last night, I went into the baby's room and put together his crib and folded/hung up all his clothes. I hadn't had the energy, but now I'm finally getting excited and getting the motivation to put together his room.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can't tell you how happy that makes me, Remmus! Not only for you, but for me and every other woman in our situation. You beat the odds and did it! And your beautiful baby will be clean and withdrawal free!
Thank you so much for sharing. Positive stories really help in driving people on. I hope that I can say the same for myself in a few short weeks!
Please continue to keep us updated :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's been two weeks since + 1 day since I've been off suboxone. I feel fine now, other than being hugely pregnant, lol but one thing I've noticed is I am so sweaty all the time. I don't know if that's from coming off suboxone, but I wake up in a pool of sweat, and I am so sweaty right now. I don't feel hot, just sweaty. Would I still be sweaty from quitting after two weeks? Or is it just from being pregnant?

I am so ready for this baby to come. For a few days now, I think he's gotten lower because I have so much pelvic pain and pressure. When he moves, my bones feel like their being grinded against, and he is very active. I can't wait for him to make his appearance! Walking far is a task, I don't walk my dog anymore, because while he is my sweet little good walker, he has now picked up this habit of charging every yard that has a dog (very recent thing, and only when I walk him, maybe he's a little more protective since pregnancy?) and pulling me hard. My mom takes him to the dog park now and let's him stay with her and her dogs during the day til my boyfriend is home. I am bouncing on an exercise ball daily trying to coax my baby out haha. Everything is ready for him! I've got his whole room organized and all these little things he needs. I never realized how much babies use! I mean everything from diaper cream, to little nose clearers, bath stuff, baby fingernail clippers, a bouncer, a swing, changing pads! Babies use a ton of stuff! He has more stuff than me. I was so worried about being on suboxone, that now that I'm off, I am free to think about my little guy coming! I read baby stuff constantly, and organize his clothes, and just can't wait to meet him.

Having a baby is such an amazing thing, I wish that we, who take suboxone, didn't have to worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 pm 

Good for you!! I'm glad that you've reached your goal of tapering off for the delivery! I can't wait to hear about your new baby soon!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I had my baby last week! He was so perfect and healthy. However, he did pass meconium in utero (not sure why, they said stress of labor was most likely why), but luckily he did not breathe any in or anything. No complications! I left after 40 hours of arriving.

I am so happy I quit using suboxone before his birth. They did drug test me, and I'm not sure if they would've tested his meconium because he passed it already and never went again at the short hospital stay. It was so nice to hear them say "She passed her drug screen". It made things so much less stressful, no NICU stay, and I tapered off safely.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I am very happy with not telling my doctor about my sub use. It would've caused more problems. I regret being on suboxone while pregnant, but I do not regret the way I ended up handling it. I am very happy with how everything turned out.

I love my little man so much. I am a first time mother, I cannot believe how entirely I love him. He is now my whole world. I am so beyond obsessed with watching his every move.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remmusx

Congratulations!!!! Isn't it crazy how much you instantly LOVE your baby?! I remember saying I can't believe how much i Love this baby LOL It's a Miracle in my eyes.

You story is such an outstanding one for people to read. You made your mind up and got a plan ready and you DID IT!

Enjoy your little one time fly's..my baby's are 30 years old :shock:

Big Hugs to you and the baby..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:08 am 

Congratulations on your new, sweet boy!! I'm glad you were able to do the taper and pass the drug screen. However, I would be just as proud of you for the attempt that you made, because you were all about making sure that your baby was safe and healthy. I'm proud of you for not relapsing during your pregnancy!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congratulations Remmus! I know you're busy with your new little lovey, but if you get time I was wondering about how you managed your symptoms while tapering and withdrawaling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I took what i thought would be my final dose of suboxone. Them I had a couple bad days - I drank immodium (you can get it at the grocery store) at night. I also drank tons of gatorade, ate bananas for the restless legs (seriously they help!!! I hate bananas, but just powered through) And tried to eat a lot of food. Night was hard, so I just kept jumping in the shower (like 3 times a night). But then I took one teeny dose of .125mg after skipping a few days & it completely eased me off of the bad symptoms. I also rode around in the car when tapering. I would just ask my BF if we could drive downtown and talk and listen to music, just something to get my mind off of it.