It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Whoa. Thank you horsegal for sharing that story. This is so complicated. It's BCBS of TN and my husband (who ceased treatment after 6 months) mentioned something once about getting reimbursement. I had asked the doctor for a print out of my receipts or records to submit to the insurance company to see if they would reimburse, but I couldn't really get the office to do it. . . . Excuse me, that's a lie, I wasn't ASSERTIVE enough to get the office to do it. I ask once, then I back down. That's my MO and it SUCKS. This subject became so touchy that my husband stopped bugging me to bug the doctor's office.

OK, I'm going to ask again next time I see. I really like my doctor's secretary and hopefully I can keep reminding her without pissing her off ? We have spent thousands of dollars on this medication over the last 2.5 years. I'm almost sick about that if it was something that could have been avoided. Ironic that just now I search out help for payment at this late stage. But, anything helps going forward. I wish I found you guys sooner!!!! The only forum I had joined was "here to help" and while they were helpful in my induction phase, I never checked back after 6 months.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, the way it works...BCBS just administers the policy. Your employer, or insurance liaison chooses what services and levels they want to cover the employee...if they want good policies to choose from, then they sit down with a BCBS rep on a company level...the BCBS rep says "do you want to cover X, X, X, X and X at XX percentage?"..the employer says "yes"...and BCBS writes up the binding contract for coverage as a group.

People complain about the insurance companies..but they only put the package together based on what the company wants to provide. So they handle the paperwork, and payments, using the money that the company pays in for the services they want to cover.

Think of it like a tax-preparer. You take them all your crap, and out of that, they come up with a tax filing for you, and you pay them to handle the paperwork so you don't have to do it...insurance companies are essentially the same way.

I have medical through BCBS, but RX is through CVS Caremark...but it's also a part of the BCBS policy...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I hope that you don't take this wrong, but I was in your shoes at one point. I was bashful and backwards, didn't want to say a lot about something that I knew was wrong. You will learn I am sure with this experience to not be timid and who cares if you are loud and speak your opinion? I know there are times that might not call for it, you will see which times those are but you need to not let people walk all over you. Don't take this as me being mean, I just hope that this situation has taught you one thing if anything, don't let one person treat you like a nothing anymore.
I was real bad sick last year where I had missed a month of Sub treatment due to finances and at the time we didn't realize that I was going through WD's. I told my husband that I couldn't stand it any longer, something had to be done so he took me to the ER. We honestly thought that I had a real bad flu, because that is how it felt. The hospital in the next county over is where we always go, because the hospital in our county is worthless. Completely worthless. The doctor walked into the room where I was, seen that I had skipped treatment for the month, said one thing to me. "Are you using again?" Before I could get the word, No! out of my mouth, he was gone out of the room. Might I add that I was writhing around on the bed because I was in so much pain and so sick. I didn't realize that I was in WD, because it felt worse than anything that I had been through before. They did a bunch of tests and said that I possibly had kidney stones??? Kidney stones? Well, nothing got done really so I Went back home and sat at home sick for three more days until my mom got pissed and took me to another ER. When we went in, she laid it out on them. She told them, Look she is having trouble and has been sick for almost two weeks now. I gave her a few LT's because I was worried about her not eating and not drinking, and this was completely true. We told them the honest truth. Mom had given me five of her pain pills hoping that it would make me feel well enough to be able to eat. They ran a UA because the previous ER said Kidney stones, took blood, gave me an IV and that was it. He came back in the room and said, well with you being out of treatment for one month and already having pain pills in your system that you didn't tell us about that gives a big red flag. Didn't tell you about?!?!?! I went to freaking out, I said look I know about the three day rule where they are allowed to give you enough medication for three days until you can get scheduled back into your doctor, please do this for me. I told him that I felt like I was dying, that I felt suicidal. All of this was true. He said, well I can write you anything that I want to but I wont do it. He said that he couldn't live with himself if he wrote me three days or dispensed me three days of Suboxone. I looked at him and said, Oh you cant live with yourself? I said think how I feel, I couldn't afford to get to the doctor this month and everyone is punishing me? I looked at Mom, sobbing at this time told her to find a nurse to get this F'ing IV out of me and lets go home. She said I know that the LT's aren't doing the job but if they are making you feel halfway well enough, I can give you one per day until you can get back into the doctor. Well, we did this because I was unsure of what else to do.
I came home and told my husband about everything that happened, he asked why I had antibiotics. I told him well the doctor if you want to call him that said that they might not help but he was writing them anyways. He said, we need to talk to your mother about her getting you back into the doctor and letting us pay her back. He had just gotten a job and wouldn't get a check for another two weeks. I couldn't handle another two weeks of this crap. My old doctor's office was terrible, they were mean and hateful. I hated that place, but I figured if I could get a month's worth of medication that would be enough to get me through til I found a better doctor. It did, I stretched that script two months.
Funny little side story about that script. I had been basically sick and on literally little of nothing for two weeks. Well I got the script and took a half which was 4mg. Well, I waited about 30 minutes and not feeling any better. I took the other half and thought well any minute I will start feeling better. When I didn't get any better, I thought well its just not had enough time to kick in. When it finally kicked in, I could barely walk. I was higher than a kite. That was the only time that Suboxone had ever made me that high. My husband had to help me to the bathroom, I could barely walk LOL.
Ok, basically the reason that I typed out this big long diatribe was to explain to you if I had stood up for myself a bit better I might not have went through all that mess. If I had just maybe gotten a bit more mean with the first doctor, he might have done something. If I had done my homework, took in some paperwork or something who knows what could have happened?
That little stint showed me that there is nothing worth going through that mess of sickness. It also showed me that no matter what you do people will always look at you like a junkie. I am lucky that my pharmacy has never done me this way. They were very happy when they seen that I was on Suboxone. The main pharmacist said I am so glad that you got some help, he said that he knew something was wrong but it wasn't his place to say anything. It really wasn't his place, but I am glad that he at least felt happy for me that I was getting better. My PCP doctor was the next one that I told outside of family and he was relieved as well. I don't know if people around here just expect it from others for addicts to multiply and they have gotten used to it but I don't get bad treatment from anyone but ER doctors.
When I got the flu after I was on the Suboxone for a month or so, my mother begged me to go in and get some IV fluids because I was getting dehydrated. I told her that I would be fine in a day or so but she wouldn't have it any other way. I was having a mild headache, they asked me if I wanted pain medication for the headache???? This made no sense to me at all.
My dentist that I have now treats me well too. I tell them when I go in, look I am not a junkie anymore. I am taking this medication because I don't want to be a junkie anymore. He wrote me pain medication and I filled it, but I aint took the first one of them. I mainly got them for my husbands gout. I knew that he has a lot of problems with it and might need one.
I didn't mean to ramble on, I just hope that maybe one of our situations has fired you up enough to never let anyone treat you like this ever again. Just because they are your doctor, or your pharmacist doesn't mean that gives them the right to treat you like scum. You are paying them for a service, and threaten them with that fact. Look if you cant treat me like a human being, then I will go somewhere that my money will be appreciated. My first doctor's office was just awful, they pestered me about every little detail and I got fed up with it. I was so nervous when I would come out of there. So I switched doctors and I couldn't be happier. I found my new doctor using the Suboxone Directory that is on this site. I wish that you was close by to me, I would refer you to my doctor. He is awesome, down to earth has a sense of humor and with a little more work I hope to talk him into giving me one of his awesome computers.....Not that it would EVER happen but hey a girl can hope? He has these awesome 24 inch Imac computers in almost every room, I told him that he would never miss one from an office that isn't used LOL. He laughed and said you really want a Imac don't you? I said more than you could ever know and laughed. I am still working on that LOL. Hehe.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Pitbullmomma!

I just had to comment here. What would we do without our AWESOME mothers!!!! You're story is touching to me, just because of how you described your mom helping you... :mrgreen:

I'm so happy that you are doing well! I had to laugh when you described your reaction to taking the first sub after being out for so long. I had a similar experience when I decided to quit my taper and go back to maintenance. I had gotten down to .25mg after a very long drawn out taper. The first day back I took 1mg, and I was absolutely SHOCKED that I felt a serious buzz from it! Of course it only lasted the first day, but I couldn't believe how much I had brought my tolerance down with that taper! That just goes to show that a taper really does work, IMO. I'm sure I could have jumped from there with very little trouble.

I also wanted to just give you a word of caution. You mentioned that you had filled a script for LT's after you got back in treatment. You have to be careful with that because most sub doctors run a pharmacy look up at every visit. If they do that they will see EVERY SINGLE prescription you have filled from the last date they ran it. I certainly hope this won't be an issue for you, but just for future reference, it's probably a good idea not to fill those things even if you don't plan on taking them. I have heard of people getting kicked out of their program for it.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you pitbullmomma. I completely understand where you're coming from. Writing that must have taken a lot out of you emotionally and I really appreciate it.

Your withdrawal sounded horrible. I cannot believe not one ER doctor could put two and two together on that. The three day rule is so confusing to me. But I'm absolutely appalled that nobody could adequately assess and treat your symptoms. Antibiotics - really? Good for your mom going off. Our mothers are our very best advocates. Sometimes I try to remind myself that my inner child still needs a mother to protect and stand up for her.

Thank you Jonathan for clarifying the insurance thing. I'm pretty sure that is my problem. I think they (my husband's company) just opted for a plan that doesn't include addiction treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Don't let this slide, my friend! Even if 'addiction treatment' weren't covered some form of the medication would SO LIKELY be and perhaps the Dr's visits wouldn't be.

Talk candidly with your Dr about PRIOR AUTHORIZATIONS/SIX MONTH AUTHORIZATIONS for Suboxone/buprenorphine. Believe me, It happens every day, I share a set of offices and clients with a Suboxone prescribing Dr. Being passive in this case may have cost you thousands of dollars.

Best of luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.