It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After being on Vicodine for 3 years for myself and 5 years for my husband we decided it was time that we quit letting it run our lives. It was a horrible life. Started taking Suboxone about 3 months ago and we decided we were not going to stay on it any longer than we have to. We started out taking 4 mgs which was too high of a dose so we cut it back to 2 mgs which worked out good. Last night we took our last of dose and I can tell you how much it was because it was just a little bit of powder. That was at 5:00p.m. It is now 9:00 a.m. and feeling okay. I know that it is supposed to get worse in a couple of days but I am trying to stay positive and whatever comes my way I will have to deal with. I got myself in this mess and I have to do what needs to be done to get out of it. Thank goodness I have a great support system in place. When I was on the vicodine I read about the Thomas Recipe for getting off of Opiates and I am trying to put into place some of the things that he said to do.

For the last week we have been taking L-Tyrosene and a vitiman that GNC gave us that helps with energy. It helped alot while we were cutting down. My doctor has had me on Prilosec for a couple of years now that I take when I have stomache issues and I have Imodium AD if I get the awful bathroom stuff. I have been on zanax for several years for anxiety so I figured that I would continue taking them and hopefully I will not get the RLS. We will see.

Please pray for me and my husband as we go through this part of our addiction. I know we have a long road even after we are off everything, but we will eventually get there. I want my life back and there is nothing that I am going to let stop me.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Post subject: I wish you the best
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I sincerely wish you the best and pray that your w/d will not be worse than you can handle. It sounds like you've got some comfort meds....obviously, be really careful with the Xanax. You guys haven't been on the Sub too terribly long, so maybe it won't be that bad. I'm so interested to keep hearing your story, so please keep updating, okay?

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Might I make a suggestion? Can you get a doctor to prescribe you some Clonidine? It's a blood pressure med that is actually used for opiate addiction. The withdrawals cause changes in the brain and Clonidine can actually have an effect on those changes. It is said to help quite a bit - more than the xanax . Also, know that many people also say that exercise helps a LOT, too. You might not feel like exercising, but you should try.

I know you're feeling positive and determined now and that's great. And please know I'm not trying to bring you down. Just realize that the relapse rate is high. So remain vigilant about the fact that relapse is a possibility. Vigilance and staying on guard can serve you well.

Suboxone's normal half-life - when staying above the ceiling - is on average 37 hours, so withdrawals often don't start for a couple of days. Since you've been at a low dose, you might start earlier. Your pupils will tell you when you're in withdrawals, if there's ever a doubt. If you tapered down slowly, you never know, some people barely feel it.

GOOD LUCK!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Yea
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 pm 

Congrats on your decision to stop the Sub early on. I might have made that same choice if I used as long as you. So I agree with Laddertipper, it may not be so bad because your addiction wasn't all that long. Plus, so much of it is in your head and you have such a good attitude you may just pull this off with little discomfort.

Keep us posted on your recovery. We love happy endings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It has been 28 hours since I has a small amount of powder. Not sure how much it was. Prior to that I was taking about .25 am and pm. I have only been feeling a little tired and my husband hasn't had much energy either, but we have not had any other issues. I know that the sub stays in your body around 37.5 hours, so I figure that if I am going to be feeling anything it will probably be tomorrow morning. I hope that since we had been on it such a short amount of time and at lower doses it won't be that bad. Every time we would drop down our dose we would feel tired a couple of days and then it seemed our bodies would adjust. I hope we get lucky and our body just adjusts to not having anything. We will see.

I will try and keep everyone informed. Haven't even craved a sub or a vic. I know that I will be able to do it this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Stay strong and stay focused on the task at hand, detox. You might get off easy, you might hit some rough spots. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I sure as heck would get some Clonidine from a doctor, it helped me a lot!!

Keep your fluids up, I drank Gatorade like it was going out of style. I don't know if Gatorade is best for you, but it sure kept me busy peeing all day and all night long. DO NOT become one with the couch, get up, move around, go to work if you can.

Most importantly, stay in touch.....the support you'll get here will help you greatly too.

Oh Yeah, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey i love reading this because it takes me back 6 days ago to when i made my jump.

Listen it can get hard and really fustrating. But IT CAN BE DONE. The joy that comes when you wake up feeling "just a little better than yesterday, and not worse...is not comparable to anything earthly! The joy is complete

Day 6 here. I wish you two the best of luck. Make sure to keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I said that I would keep everyone posted. It has been 67 hours since the last sub dose and the only problem I have been having is a little bit of a stomache ache and low energy. I thank God that it has went so easy, my husband is feeling the same but with a little depression. Unless I am wrong I would have thought the withdrawals would have already been bad if they were gonna be, I hope that is the case.

I noticed that you guys mentioned clonodine to help, but my doc already has me on blood pressure medication so he will not change the type I am on.

I have not wanted a vic or a sub since we stopped taking it. I guess I felt so fed up with having drugs run my life that it has helped. I feel that you really have to want off everything. I appreciate being able to read everything on here about what has helped people, that helped us alot.

I wish everyone luck with this. When the time is right you will be able to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey para,I can't give you advice on quitting sub because I have not made that jump yet. But I do want to tell you good luck and I hope you and your husband have success beating your addiction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're 67 hours into it and you still haven't felt anything near awful yet, I'm going to say you should be real close to being 'good to go.'

I know my wd's kicked in way before the 67 hour mark!!

About the Clonidine, it sounds like you don't even need it. I'm glad you talked to your doctor about it too, Clonidine is a BP med and had you doubled those up you could have been in trouble. I usually try to mention Clonidine and going to a doctor to get it for just this kind of reason.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've been cutting 2mg strips into 4th's so that's about 1/2mg for about 12 days, today is my first day w/o any suboxone. I'm tired, frequent bathroom trips. I did 30 minutes on a stationary bike. I have Serquel 200mg they knock me on my butt. I have been sleeping a lot.

To be honest the sleeping worries me a little. I had to break iyo the cat and dog fight and I was breathing hard.

Btw I've been taking Suboxonee for 15 months. Im pretty determined to make this work. I also have a little xanax, would the clonidine be a better choice?

And good luck and prayers to everybody on the journey, we'll all make it out, you just have to push trough it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my understanding that Clonidine could help more than xanax. Opiate withdrawal causes specific changes in the brain and Clonidine actually affects those changes. Although it's a BP med, it's sort of like the gold standard in treating opiate withdrawals. I have no idea if you can take both at the same time, but if you get clonidine from a doctor, you could always ask.

It's great that you're sleeping with the help of Seroquel. Normally that's the number one complaint from people in w/d. If you're sleeping too much you could always talk to your doc about reducing the seroquel dose. Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have not had any sub since last Thursday. Thursday of this week started feeling a little crappy but not bad, but Friday, Saturday and today my stomache is killing me. That is the only problem that I am having but it is driving me crazy. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

paralegal111 wrote:
Have not had any sub since last Thursday. Thursday of this week started feeling a little crappy but not bad, but Friday, Saturday and today my stomache is killing me. That is the only problem that I am having but it is driving me crazy. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Oh, I am so sorry you feel bad!! I'm not to jumping point yet, so I can't totally identify. Have you tried Immodium? I know you have to be careful with it, because your body can get....dependent on it. So, you want to only take it when you really need it, but supposedly it's a miracle when it comes to the GI issues.

I'm curious though. When you say your stomach is killing you, do you mean you are sick to your stomach or is it actually a pain or ache thing? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, so if something happens to me when I jump, I know it's normal.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Immodium will certainly help to eliminate some of those 'bathroom visits', if that's what you mean by your stomach is killing you?

Immodium is chemically very similar to an opiate, although it's not an opaite per se. I know I had to take Immodium during my detox and I tried to be very careful not to get 'used' to taking it. Like Ladder said, try to take it only when you really need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My stomache feels like i am anxious and nausea both at the same time. Haven't had a break. The only time it doesn't bother me is when I am sleeping. I haven't had the trouble sleeping. I have been taking the immodium and I have a good pharmacist that gave me some type of travel medicine and emetrol for the nausea. They didn't help at all. I don't understand why I feel sick and my husband is feeling pretty good. He is just tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just curious: why do you think you should stop the suboxone in as short a time as you can? Remenber that you have a chronic lifelong disease, and that your brain will never be "normal" again. I would think seriously about this before you jump off of a medication that has allowed you to stop active using. You are not "addicted" to Suboxone, rather you are only dependent on a medication just like a bipolar patient takes lithium or a diabetic takes insulin. I just feel that taking oneself of off your medication early just so you can "feel" more clean (a myth) could be a fool's errand. Hopefully not!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

paralegal111 wrote:
My stomache feels like i am anxious and nausea both at the same time. Haven't had a break. The only time it doesn't bother me is when I am sleeping. I haven't had the trouble sleeping. I have been taking the immodium and I have a good pharmacist that gave me some type of travel medicine and emetrol for the nausea. They didn't help at all. I don't understand why I feel sick and my husband is feeling pretty good. He is just tired.

I'm not surprised the Emetrol didn't work. It doesn't help me either. I swear by Phenergan suppositories. I know, I know....no one likes to have to take a suppository, but those things knock nausea right out and they are amazing!! I plan on having some in the fridge when I jump. You just have to remember to keep them in the fridge.

I'm so sorry you feel crappy! :( I know the time must really be dragging....It's easy for me to say this, but remember that it will get better!! Every single day, you are a lot closer to getting through this. You are doing great. Hang in there. I'd want someone to tell me to hand in there, so that's what I'm telling you. Keep updating!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought that I was gonna die Saturday and Sunday was a little better but today I actually woke up not feeling sick to my stomache at all. Thank you everyone for your encouraging words.

I was asked why I wanted to get off the sub so soon. The reason for that was that we were having to get it from someone because we could not get into a sub doc. We only have 2 in our area and we were put on their waiting list but they said it would probably be at least six months so we decided to go the route that I am not totally proud of and get them from someone off the street.

Thanks for everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so, so glad to hear you're feeling better. This should give you some renewed positivity in that it illustrates that what you're feeling is indeed temporary. Hang in there and this will soon be over! :D