It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys! I am sorry if I messed up this post, I am new here and not sure how the forum works just yet.

I need advice and I know for myself doing this switch is the right thing for me, but I am just so nervous. Being on Meth now for 8 years. Started at 40 mil.. went to 30 and have stabilized on this for 2 years also have been threw NA, bought a house,car and actually have held a job for 4 years.
I am just scared like anything new in life what to expect this weekend with no meth. Also with the Subs I hear SO many different stories online from people that have made this switch from meth, some good, some bad like real bad. If anyone has done this and has a moment to share there story with me. God, I would so appreciate it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I switched to methadone from suboxone so I did the opposite but I am wondering if you don’t mind me asking why the switch after 8 years off methadone treatment? And from reading your post you are doing so well!!!! You bought a car, a house, finished NA and more than anything have actually held a job for long term and these are all great things so why put your whole treatment at risk after such a successful recovery is I guess my main question.

As of the switch to Suboxone from methadone I have also heard some really bad horror stories but have also heard successful ones at the same time. I mean these 2 drugs are completely different and I think that is why so many people have a lot of trouble with this switch because you are going from a very powerful full antagonist with a very long half life to a partial antagonist which in turn can be a huge change for your body. For myself to compare the two is a huge difference, Suboxone just kept me well as in not dope sick vs. methadone actually controlled my addiction as in cravings and more than anything pain free. But I do support you decision and I really hope you can get the answers you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Laura and welcome. Congrats and making this decision. I think you'll be pleased with your suboxone treatment. Allow me to clarify something important. Methadone is a full AGONIST opiate whereas Suboxone is a partial AGONIST opiate with the antagonist naloxone in it. In other words, methadone is like other full agonists whereas Suboxone being a partial is totally different, mostly because of the ceiling effect. If you're not familiar with what that is, we can explain that to you. Just say the word.

The reason the transition from methadone to sub can sometimes be difficult is the very long half-life of methadone as well as the very high tolerance one can build up from the methadone. Now, you said you've been on a pretty low dose of it though, right? So you might not have that problem then.

Will your induction be at the office there with your doctor or is s/he having you do your own induction at home? Hopefully it's at her/his office, then the doctor can supervise it and ensure that you're starting the sub at the right time so as to avoid the precipitated withdrawals.

Methadone can sometimes be a difficult transition, but the main thing is to be in enough withdrawals before starting suboxone. It's not a matter of how long you've been in w/d, but how bad they are. Now, that's not to say everyone making the switch to suboxone from methadone has a rough time, because they don't. Many people have no problems whatsoever. Some do fine and then there are some that just need a few extra days to stabilize. Everyone is different.

Again, congrats to you and welcome. Ask as many questions that you may have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi LauraL3, I just posted this in another thread, then I saw this one so I copied it here too.

I'm curious, are you doing your induction onto Suboxone in your Doctor's office Monday? Has he switched people from Methadone over to Suboxone before??

Most opiates on the market are short acting, they clear out of your system pretty quickly and you can get on Suboxone without having to wait too long, usually less than 24 hours.

Methadone is a long acting opiate though, it takes longer to clear out of your system. I think if you quit Methadone Friday and don't start Suboxone until Monday that you'll be OK, but it's not really so much about how much time has passed, it's more about how much wd your in. You really need to be in mild to moderate wd.

That's why I was asking if you were gonna start Suboxone while in your doctor's office and if he had ever switched anyone over before.

Post subject: Thanks so much!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all! Thanks for the replys. I am making the switch for many reasons. 1. My clinic just got the program. 2. My insurance actually WILL pay for the medicine, unlike the meth, 85 a week kills me. And really the main reason, I want to eventually get off all opiates. I was told since Suboxone is a half opiate, not full like Meth when I am ready ( and not for a while,like a year at least) when I do taper the withdrawal will not be like Meth withdrawal, and for anyone that has been on Meth, god the Hell of that withdrawal. 3 days is nothing when we get to 6-8-14 that's the worst. Adding up all the pluses I made this decision.

Meth has helped me get my life back, I am so grateful. Because with out it 8 years ago. I was no where ready to live in
society. Now at 35, I feel I am ready to work on this, yes, another long road I know.

I am actually scared crapless to be honest. Not to relapse believe it or not, but of the withdrawal, even for 3 days. Doc said I have to come in Monday sick and I will be with my last dose Friday. I really need support threw this esp from anyone who has done this jump.

Thank you so much.

Post subject: Romeo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Romeo! Yes this Doc has done this for a while now. Just not at my clinic he has another office some where else and has been doing this for years. The clinic by me he is a Meth Doc at just got the program so he is able to do it there now also. So yes, new to the clinic, but not new to the Doctor at the clinic. HELL NO I would never ever trust a Doc to do this if he didn't have exp. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, I forgot to say that we do have some people here who have made the switch from methadone to suboxone. Hopefully they'll be by soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Laura,

That's GOOD to hear that your doctor has done this before, some have switched from Methadone to Suboxone and because their doctor didn't really know what they were doing, their induction onto Suboxone was less than ideal.

You said, "HELL NO I would never ever trust a Doc to do this if he didn't have exp. lol", you got a good chuckle out of me when you said that!!! :lol:

Keep posting all you need to over the next week, there are a lot of great people on this forum who will help you any way they can. Well, you can obviously post on this forum for longer than a week, I just meant........heck, you know what I meant!! :D

Post subject: Anyone around?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all! If any one is here the next day or so who has a similar story as me. I would love to hear how Subs are working for you. Going from Meth to Subs is really what I would be interested in knowing.

Thanks so much

Post subject: Methadone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on methadone for 4 years 240 mlgs a day yes six wafers. I have been on subs over a year and it was the best thing I ever did no more weight gain no more nodding out no more sweating like crazy I tried every thing to get off methadone nothing worked subs did.uo won't be sick but the hardest thing is going to be the buzz well lack of one cause the suboxone will not give u that wonderfull im on a cloud feeling that methadone does but it will give u energy. I'm telling u this will be the best thing for u and u can do it and then get off subs and be normal again but u have to want off it and really be ready for a change.

Post subject: I am so ready. :)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply Heltona.
I am so ready to move on and off Meth. Just as anything new, a bit nervous on what to expect with Subs that's all. Of course I asked the Doc but talking to other addicts who have been stabilized and serious on changing there life, getting support that have gone threw this probably the best way to ease my mind.

Again Thanks for the reply, I hope I can write my journey and if another addict has a similar story to mine and is looking for answers can read mine and feel support also.

2 more days and no more meth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Laura,

It's perfectly normal to be real nervous about Suboxone induction. I remember being scared out of my mind just before my induction because I really didn't know if this "Suboxone" stuff even worked.

Well, it works!!

Keep on posting. Post about your fears if you want, because we've probably all experienced them too. Post about your expectations if you wish, because we've all probably had the same expectations. Post about anything you want because chances are you're going to find someone or many of us who can relate to you. That's part of why I love this forum so much, so many of us can relate to each other so quickly. We all share this potentially devastating disease called addiction and we all want to help each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have switched from methadone to subs and it went rather well, my dr because my body is so sensitive took me off methadone then had me take morphine for a few weeks then had me wait 3 days and inducted me and it went fine.
I was very scared to switch as well but I felt relief from the first sub I ever took. I was inducted with 16 mgs a day went down to 8mgs after a month or so stayed at 8.

I actually am off everything, weaned off subs this past april......I felt so much better on subs then on methadone .. just more awake, more energy, etc ......

Good luck keep us posted :)

and yes I switched because my health insurance covered subs and I hated going to that damn clinic I just did.