It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I just wanted to leave my thoughts threw this weekend. My own therapy if you will. I would so appreciate any comments and support as I am sick the next few days. It has been a long road. For those who read my other posts Thank you for being there for me. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Laura,

Just remember this weekend, keep yourself as occupied and distracted as you can. And don't be surprised if you don't feel sick right away. Methadone has a long half-life. I don't remember, did your doc give you any comfort meds at all? If not, take walks and take hot baths. And like I said before, keep seeing yourself on the other side of this weekend. Before you know it it will be over.

I know you're scared, it's a huge change. And even though it's a positive one it's still scary. But I think you've made a good decision for yourself and I think you'll be pleased with suboxone treatment.

So write all you need to over the weekend, but try not to obsess over every little symptom, that will just serve to freak you out. Hang in there. We're here for you! You can get through this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LauraL3 said, "For those who read my other posts Thank you for being there for me. You have no idea how much it means to me." We most certainly DO know how much it means to you, we were at the same place you're now at. I for one remember how frickin' scared I was, I didn't even know if this crazy Suboxone shit was gonna work, but I was willing to give it a shot.

Be strong Laura, you can do this, we got your back!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker you are so right, the meth has such a long half life. I just want this over with. So far I feel ok. Just took vitamins Calcium Magnesium zinc ,B6, And no the Doc wouldn't give me any meds for this weekend. I asked for cloindine. Nope he wouldn't budge. Is that normal? lol I assume he wants to make sure I am in full mod withdrawal before giving me subs, the cloindie would mask that some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a very good point. Maybe the clonidine could very well mask the symptoms. I hadn't thought of it that way. However, now that I do, I'm sure that it will lower your blood pressure, so that alone would be deceptively low, so that may very well be why he didn't give you any.

Now remember, stay busy and active if possible. I won't be around today at all, but I'll check in with you later. Thinking of you. If you need anything, feel free to PM me. Hang in there, my friend!

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So far I am "ok" you weren't killing about that half life Hatmaker. I feel a bit clammy but ok for now at 9 pm. If I sleep some I will be happy because I have a feeling tomorrow is a different ball game.

Found this quote today, loved it.

~ No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another~

Post subject: Re: update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LauraL3 wrote:
So far I am "ok" you weren't kidding about that half life Hatmaker. I feel a bit clammy but ok for now at 9 pm. If I sleep some I will be happy because I have a feeling tomorrow is a different ball game.

Found this quote today, loved it.

~ No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a sneaking suspicion that you might not be withdrawing quite yet. If you ever want to check, just look at your pupils. When one is in opiate withdrawals, their pupils become dilated. And did I give you a link to the COWS sheet/scale to help you to determine the severity of your withdrawals? It might just help to give you an idea of where you're at over the weekend. Let me know if I didn't give that to you and I will do so. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a great quote Laura, it's so true!!

Post subject: Hatmaker
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatemaker I am freaking out now, I feel like crap but only like a 15 on COWS. I see the Doc at noon today. Am I sick enough to take subs? So scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Morning, Laura,

You've still got a bit more time to get sicker. And you're doing this with the help of your doctor. And you said your doctor has experience in transitioning people from methadone to suboxone, right? If that's true, then I would trust that your doctor will know when you are truly ready so you're not induced (inducted?) too soon and end up in P/W.

I know you're scared, it's normal. I'd be worried about you if you weren't! I'd say try not to look too far ahead in time. Just get through this morning. Worst case scenario, you might have to wait a bit longer for your induction. But in comparison to taking it too soon (and going into P/W) that's definitely preferable, right?

If I were you, when you get to your appt, I'd speak openly with the doctor. I'd say you have the COWS sheet and that you're concerned your withdrawals aren't severe enough. Talk to him about it. BTW, you don't need to be in severe w/d, just mild to moderate, if I recall correctly (does it say on the COWS?).

And Laura, I'm around today, so feel free to PM me and we can talk more about it. Hang in there!

***Laura, after writing all that, I just looked at the COWS and a 15 is moderate withdrawals. That might be just fine for you be able to go through your induction.

This is what it says on the COWS about methadone inductions:

Quote:
Methadone: It is recommended that patients transitioning from methadone to Buprenorphine slowly taper to 30 mg./day of methadone, for at least one week. Last dose must be no less than 36 hours prior to induction, and may be 96 hours or more. A minimal score of at least 5 on the COWS is recommended, although some physicians prefer scores of 15 or higher.

So you might be just fine! Either way, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Post subject: Love to my hatmaker!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just want to tell you how special you are. :)

LONG weekend. Long morning. Ok... I am back from the Doc, he gave me 8 mil Subs. I was told to take 4 break in half my first one. Wait a hour, take the other half. I just did that. (OMG it tastes like crap! lol) I have to get use to it I guess. I feel so much better, a headache. NO precip withdrawal. The Doc said when they did the urine there was still meth in there but he also said that could last up to a week I got VERY upset when he said that, all in my mind was the images of Prep withdrawal. So far 2 hours later I am OK. I would know by now right? lol I am obsessing over this I think.

So far I am ok. Not great but def not like I was this am. I assume it takes a few days to get the dose at the right one but I am under the impression around 8 mil is where I will be at, is that normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you were going to go into precipitated withdrawals, it would have happened by now. And don't worry about the methadone still being in your system. It's a very long-acting medication.

8 mg may or may not be your dose. You may not know until later today. It'll depend on if some withdrawals return later on or if any cravings remain. If that happens, you could take another 2-4 mg. If that does the trick, then that amount could be your dose. And you might need to adjust it over the next day or so.

Methadone isn't always a smooth transition to suboxone, but it can be and you are living proof. Give yourself a few days to stabilize.

Oh and thanks! It's been my pleasure. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Hatmaker! Looks like my dose will be more at the 16 mark, for now at least. That dam meth is still in my system, I slept last night but this am woke up feeling.. icky a bit. So I dosed with my 8 mil and another 8 tonight. That's what the Doc said to do if the one eight wasn't making me feel normal must likely for the next week or two that will be my dose. Is that a normal dose? From what I gather from reading other peoples story 16 is around what it is.

I have no idea how I got threw this, this hole weekend is a blur to me all I did was lay on the couch and watch Netflix... every movie was 2 hours gone I kept saying. That and hot baths is how I got threw. It was not easy, but other people who are serious about getting off Meth should know like you said, it CAN be done. Just do it the right way and IMO someone has to be very stable to do this jump even when jumping off Subs completely we have to be ready mentally, because are mind a addicts mind is are worst enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you're feeling better still. And if you feel best on 16 mg, then so be it. Don't compare your dose to anyone else's. In a month or two, you can always get down to the lowest dose possible that will address your withdrawals and cravings, but for now, the idea is to get your opiate receptors saturated and to keep them that way. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats Laura.

I've done the switch to Subs from Methadone. After you stabilise you'll be feeling great, almost human again.

Sounds like you had a fairly smooth transition.

16mg is a kinda "standard" dose for people who switch from Methadone after a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Tear! I feel ok today, my back hurts a tad and bathroom.. Um issues. LOL but not where I cant handle it.

Thanks for the dosage info, this is ALL new to me and any info is helpful. And yes seems I am one one of the lucky ones going from meth to Subs, God is in my corner. I now that. Also IMO being on 30 mil for so many years before the switch was a BIG part of that.

Have a good day!