It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Shanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I really hope I didn't scare you, that was not my intention. I just hate it how doctors do NOT inform patients about the side effects which are endless, or the withdrawals if you try to stop. They say, They are not addictive and it is a PLAIN flat out LIE! That is why I warned you, also, the list of side effects from Wellbutrin are so similar to withdrawals it is CRAZY! I personally wouldn't know the difference between the two if it were myself.

You are doing great and I wish you continued success and don't be too worried if you decide to stop taking them, you haven't been on them very long and I myself also have to get off benzo's at some point in this. So keep hanging in there. It gets better with rough moments here n there. The anxiety YES it sucks! Hope your day goes along good!

Post subject: Shanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I forgot to add, I also have a funny kind of dull weird feeling in my head at times. It has been going on for days off and on now. So that could definitely be the sub wds. I try to think of it as something trying to repair itself up there. I also get headaches some days. Think the same thing about them. Trying to stay positive is Key!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree it's a very idea to take ADs or SRRIs, espeacially during bup taper and detox.

It's very naive to assume docs know what they are doing, these are the same docs which prescribe bup in high doses, same docs who tell their patients you won't have withdrawals from 2mgs or so, same docs who don't want to believe patients when they complain of withdrawals and PAWS, and same docs who put down WDs and PAWS to something else, sorry but docs don't have a clue about bup symptoms, the way it works and other side-affects, so no not many people these days will trust them at all..I trust my own doc who is against prescribing bup for the long term, she use to deal with long term bup patients and she knows now how misinformed she was, too many patients complained to her about WDs and PAWS, so based on her experience she came to the conclusion that bup is only a detox tool for a week or so...

If something works for someone that tells you in the long run you can struggle, anything that helps which is a med tells you you will have to play the piper when you come off them, anything that is strong enough to help during sub taper and WDs/PAWS will have rebound PAWS and side-affects...

ADs are very bad idea during initial sub detox, eventually they will fiull your brain up and you will become foggy, then when you want to quit you will feel even more depressed because they would have blocked and postponed healing of the brain, particularly when coming off bup..I have researched every avenue about this, talked to patients and sub users myself many times, talked to my doc and other people through the Internet, and thats why I have these views... Those ADs were made for people who got depressed not related to opiate detox or bup detox. Plus nothing rearly works during bup taper and WDs, perhaps one can use some ADs 8 months down the line when PAWS seem to be at their peak, but initial detox? noway in my opinion, is only going to prolong healing and mess up those receptors more...

Now if one was depressed prior to bup and is diagnosed with depression then it's a different ball game, though still taking more then 1 med is not really recovery and can cause more problems, but perhaps those need to be on ADs for life, but thats the same thing as taking bup, you can build up tolerance, become unmotivated, depressed even more and low energy, so it's really no life to life, but for those who want help with bup taper and WDs my only advice is to go through it...For me personally I have the option for SAO for 9 months or so.

Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree that most doctors are full of shit and fail to give patients the full picture. In my case I know that my doctor is " not only the president but a client", if you smell what I'm steppin in. So I have some confidence in her knowledge of the treatment. I have decided however, to definitely give a second thought into the antidepressants. I sure as hell don't want to be on them the rest of my life and wouldn't look forward to wd from those also. Asking my dr. to prescribe it was probably an attempt to stop something from happening on my part. Just another fear of the unknown, which I'm sure is why most of us don't want to go through sub wds. We're just in fear of what could happen. I can't believe I spent six years of my life on bupe and was so afraid to deal with the final step. Right now I've got to say I'm feeling pretty good. Worst things to complain about are sweating uncontrollably and poor sleep. I'll take this any day over the control I felt bupe had on me. Tomorrow I'll return to work and see how I deal with that. Thankfully not much anxiety since I seem to be doing well at the end of day six.

Post subject: Day 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay, so today is day nine and I'm feeling pretty normal. I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of real acute wds. Today being the holiday, we were very busy. We took the kids out to see a parade this morning and have tried to stay busy but out of the super hot weather we're having. My sleep is gradually getting better, I've actually been able to stay in bed the last two nights without moving to the couch trying not to keep my wife awake. Mentally I'm feeling really well, no signs of being down. At this point I seem to hit a wall in the late afternoon and need to get off my feet, just get drained easily. I feel pretty lucky up to this point but still not ready to give myself any huge pats on the back, still a lot of work to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You may not be ready to give yourself a huge pat on the back, but I think you deserve at least a little one!!

Post subject: Day 12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm doing okay. Sleep is still tough but I've been doing a little better there, luckily I don't feel too bad when I actually get out of bed in the morning. I'm still aggrevated by the sweating constantly, I just make sure to bring a couple extra shirts with me when I leave the house. Never really had to take any Immodium for stomach issues, as weird as it sounds, I feel like I haven't gone enough. Maybe I've just gotten so used to taking something everyday while on the bupe to help with the constipation. My only other problem is the lack of energy I feel, usually later in the day. Anyway, I think I've got through so far so good.

Post subject: Day 26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 26 and things are going well. I know it's been a while since I posted, which I guess is a good thing because I've been feeling pretty good. Some of my previous posts were deleted when the site had some trouble, oh well. I am happy to say that I am no longer taking any medications at all. I stopped taking my ambien last week and sleep has been ok. I work a lot, so I think it helps to keep me busy and helps me to sleep better. I'll be taking a few days off next week to celebrate me and my wife's anniversary, really looking forward to having a good time and relaxing without having to worry about taking any meds with me. I wish I was able to get some more exercise but just don't have the time, a walk here and there does me good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Shanks, I read somewhere you took Wellbutrin? can I ask if you are still taking that? does it really make any difference so early on in the acute stage? I was advised not to take any antidepressants in the acute stage as that will mess up healing and bran chemistry unless you tend to be prone to depression and was on it during your sub maintenance or prior. I spoke with my own doctor today and she seemed shocked that I inquired about Wellbutrin, she said it is a no go zone in any acute stage of detox, she said it can postpone healing and once you are on Wellbutrin for a while it can be extremely hard to get off, some cases where people need life long antidepressants because they simply took them for too long..I certainly do not want to be on anything as I was on sub, still am. I want my brain to recover without substances in my receptors. But if Wellbutrin can help during PAWS or speed up your dopamine then I do not see any harm in trying it for the short term. I am hoping though I will not need it as I never been prone to depression and always dealt with any low days. I got age on my side as well as my continuous exercise regime. So here is hoping it's a no go zone for ADs for me, but I will see how I feel 3 or 4 months after I stop my subs.