It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:15 pm 

Let's have a thread that's dedicated to the awesome incredible suboxone doctors that we know!! If you would like to say something anonymously about your doctor, please PM me and I will post about that doctor and their practice without naming the member who sees that doctor.

I just had a phone appointment with my sub doctor. He has talked to me like an equal from day one. Today we talked about the new methadone clinic he directs and the red tape he is facing to add buprenorphine patients to the clinic. He told me that he would love to be doing more online, especially to help educate other doctors who aren't familiar with addiction medicine and to dialog with his peers.

The thing is, he makes ME feel like a peer by talking to me in a way that acknowledges my knowledge as an addict and what I'm learning online, far before I was ever in grad school.

So Kudos to Andreas Edrich MD who has a family medical practice in Greenwood Village CO (near DTC). Here is his practice's website: http://www.hhfamilymedicine.com/Site/Home.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't doubt you've found a good doctor. I'm also just as positive that you are a part of what's going on. It's a two way street. I've found a doctor that does the same. He still holds me accountable and does his job. But he asks my opinion on things and considers me a professional friend, if that term makes sense. But I'm sure how we act, what we do, how we respond is a part of it. I don't say that to sing our praises but to suggest to other readers that they play a part in the treatment they get from docs, counsellors, pharmacists and others.

There are great docs out there who really do care. My doc has evolved in part by the info I've brought him. He's been willing to change his early thoughts on several things, including stopping bup, dosages, potency, and withdrawal even from low doses. He didn't dig in his heals and refuse to change. He evolved in his practice. He's trusted me with three month appointments after the first year or so and is there if something painfully unexpected happens, in which case he's treate me with actual narcotics twice. Our appointments, unless I express I'm having a problem, consist of a drug test and 15 minutes of chit chat about addiction, etc. he acts very much like my family GP of 15 or 20 years - just as it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:17 pm 

You are absolutely right, Don! It is a two way street. I've always been respectful and compliant in treatment. But you're also right that I've found a really good doctor! He has treated me with respect since day one. Today we were talking about how some doctors entirely misunderstand the basics of addiction. That the doctors who kick people out of their sub practice are either purely in it for the money, or don't understand the mechanisms of addiction.

It is our responsibility to meet our doctors half way and especially try to be honest with them. There will still be doctors who are incapable of allowing their patients any leeway or mistakes without kicking them out of the program. That's why I want to celebrate the doctors who are sensitive and kind. I'm so glad that your doctor has a collaborative spirit, Don. It makes the relationship so much better!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wanted to bump this thread because I've see some awful doctor stories lately, and I wanted to give recognition to my fantastic Psychiatrist/Sub doctor. This is a copy of a review I wrote of her on an online site:

Dr. Leela Panoor - just moved to Vernon, CT

"Dr. Panoor is the most compassionate psychiatrist I have ever been to - and I've been to a few. She takes the time to listen and consider my thoughts, feelings and experiences regarding my treatment and medication. Other docs I have been to spent 5 min. with me and started writing prescriptions. My case was difficult to diagnose and treatment resistant. Dr. Panoor worked with me to get to the root of the problem and find appropriate ways to treat it. She has even called me at home to check on me when I was going through a difficult time. While Dr. Panoor does prescribe psych meds, she also encourages alternative treatments such as yoga therapy, meditation, self compassion, support groups and exercise. Dr. Panoor is not in her profession for the money. She truly cares about helping those who are suffering, regardless of their ability to pay."

I was reading some of my old posts and they reminded me of some awful doctor experiences. One I went to when I was already on Suboxone, but needed a new doc. (Doc #1 lost his DEA license). He insisted I go through induction (was already on a stable dose). He said to stop my Sub 2 days before the appointment so I would be in WD, but not 3 days before because the WD would be over by then !?!?! Then I told him I wouldn't have enough medication to get me thru to the induction appointment he gave me - and he told me to do what I had been doing...BUY IT ON THE STREET!

Even worse was at an IOP I went to. A patient was sent over from another office in full out H withdrawal, because the doctor that was supposed to do his induction hadn't come in. So they sent him to our facility's doc for the induction. They guy was running to the bathroom, drenched in sweat, sick as a dog. It was the Friday before a 3 day week-end...and the doc refused to induce him. He said he had to prove to the doc he was "trustworthy" first. WTF!!