It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Kratom and Suboxoane????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

These can be used simultaneously? What is Kratom and why would anyone want to use it with Suboxone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Madyson,

Welcome back. I read thru your prior posts and you're the incredible mom fighting to help keep your young son away from the deep pits and agony of opiate addiction. Last post was summer of 2015 and all sounded better, that young son J was correctly and regularly taking his suboxone. Given your question, did something change? Is kratom now in the mix? Imo there is no value in kratom and I regret its intrusion into the US. My rehab roommate was in for a horrid addiction to it. Lost the family, young kids were about to be taken away, huge debts on hidden credit cards. No these should not be used simultaneously bc kratom should not be used at all. And if were added to bup, the bup would block it so no benefit as an add on. The only reason I've read is if they ran out of bup too early and uses kratom as a cover till the next bup script or uses it after stopping bup abruptly/at higher doses to try to stem the bup wd side effects. Its up before Congress to be reclassified as a schedule 1 drug, meaning same level as heroin etc...Its got both stimulant and opiate qualities. Its impure and full of crappolla chemicals and debris from whatever they put in it overseas. Who knows? No one.

Can you tell us more about your questions? Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 pm 

100% agree with pelican, I think kratom is a no no. I see no benefit in it at all unless ur an addict trying to feel better or getting high on it. Yes there's ppl that use it to ease withdrawal symptoms and that's their decision, but considering it's addictive, I just don't think it's a good idea. And why someone would use it with buprenorphine......I can't think of why they'd use it with bup. Maybe they've ran out or something, I don't know.

I've heard of ppl spending all their money on Kratom just like opiates, and going to rehab to get off it. I don't know a huge amount about it but what I do know, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I read about kratom for the first time a couple of years ago, I did something entirely predictable. I ordered up a bunch :D I immediately understood that the feds wouldn't allow unfettered use....or any use at all....for very much longer. (Always have mixed feelings in that regard, as I'm of the opinion that many of the problems associated with drug use are a result of the laws that prohibit them. They never learn of course. Just look to Mexico's carnage to see how far the "war on drugs" gets us. )

I purchased the stuff as a kind of safety net were I to ever find myself
running out of my poppy tea. Coincidentally, that's another drug,,, in the form of dried poppies,,,
that can be purchased with no problem, at least for the most part. Very occasionally there's an arrest,
but the laws against are ambiguous. And for the most part the cops don't bother. But I knew that too
would likely come to an end. In fact they'd gotten much harder to get over my 12 year ride, and much, much
more expensive. I lived in fear they'd soon be taken away. I sometimes grew my own, but not nearly enough to keep me going for long. Hence the kratom purchase.

It's still sitting in the basement in a bunch of plastic baggies, Funny how I resist throwing it out. They call it a disease for good reason,

First thing tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am 

Wow Godfrey lol I'm learning more about u every day :)

I guess I never got into the online stuff because I really didn't think there was much that u could really get to get a good high (talking about bk in my using days). When I was just getting into active addiction, ppl were able to get hydrocodone in the mail somehow....never knew the exact way because I started out on oxycodone and morphine and if I couldn't get that it just wasn't "worth my time". On days I had nothing I'd have taken anything to keep me from getting sick. I never heard of Kratom until this forum, I wonder if I'd have tried to get it bk when my addiction was in full blast....definitely something to be glad I didn't know anything about or the poppyseed!

Have a great day!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:54 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Wow Godfrey lol I'm learning more about u every day :)

I guess I never got into the online stuff because I really didn't think there was much that u could really get to get a good high (talking about bk in my using days). When I was just getting into active addiction, ppl were able to get hydrocodone in the mail somehow....never knew the exact way because I started out on oxycodone and morphine and if I couldn't get that it just wasn't "worth my time". On days I had nothing I'd have taken anything to keep me from getting sick. I never heard of Kratom until this forum, I wonder if I'd have tried to get it bk when my addiction was in full blast....definitely something to be glad I didn't know anything about or the poppyseed!

Have a great day!

i heard about kratom just recently on the freedom feens radio show.
Edit by Amy: if anyone wants the link to the radio show that Sister M. is referencing you can PM her for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you all for your replies...it was something that came up in conversation with my son. He more or less uses subs successfully. He has slipped up on occasion but never quickly pulls himself together. So at one point in my sons life the pattern was long bouts of using with short periods of sobriety. It is now very long periods of sobriety with a one day slip every couple of years with the help of Suboxone. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the nice features of buprenorphine is that even imperfect use keeps people alive who aren't ready for perfect recovery, until they get a bit older and hopefully decide to get 'perfect'.

Plant-based drugs are often thought of as safer, just because of being 'plants'. Ive heard the comment about a million times about pot, that 'it's just a plant, so how can it be harmful?'

As noted already, plants can have all sorts of chemicals sprayed on them... and beyond that, there are many poisonous plants! I truly don't have much of an opinion on THC, but the lungs, obviously, were not designed to be filled with smoke, no matter what fire produces it.

But Kratom has a following, mainly because 'it is a plant'. It is just another opioid, but one where the quality, purity, and potency are completely unknown.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Morphine and opium and cocaine is from a plant too but you don't see many people touting their potential to cure addictions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

TeeJay wrote:
Morphine and opium and cocaine is from a plant too but you don't see many people touting their potential to cure addictions.

Bingo!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

[/quote]
i heard about kratom just recently on the freedom feens radio show.
Edit by Amy: if anyone wants the link to the radio show that Sister M. is referencing you can PM her for it.[/quote]
sorry, can I not post links?
its a great libertarian show (on radio and available on podcasts) you can just search it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:45 pm 

Most of the links we post are to articles specifically about addiction or something otherwise closely related.

All kinds of political persuasions are represented here, so directly linking to podcasts from a specifically "libertarian" or "social democratic" or "tea party" or "green party", etc, etc, might be a wrong step to make. That's all.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 pm 

Hey, Sis!

I should add that you are welcome to link more stuff in the Freestyle section if you want to start a post there. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just going to play devil's advocate on Kratom, sorry but my experience with it was actually remarkable. I used it before I graduated to worse things. Kratom has a sort of natural ceiling effect sort of like bup, you can only consume so much of the powder before vomiting or nausea will take over and the side effects turn unpleasant. I do think any extracts of Kratom are potentially very dangerous to an addict trying to recover, but plain lead powder is a remarkable tool for some that do need a little pain relief - it had my tumor issue under control. I only quit using it in favor of prescriptions due to a girlfriend's thinking it was illegal. Withdrawals on a moderate to high dose of Kratom for ~6 months were mild and manageable. All subjective and YRMV. Also, Kratom's opiate active substance, Mitragine (sp), binds to Kappa and Mu receptors - you aren't going to get a buzz while on subs, don't bother, and try to ignore those cravings!

-M