It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think we all know that laxatives work. Stimulants,(vegetable lax), stool softeners, fiber,( grain and fruit), bulk fiber like Metamucil, Miralax, water, exercise, anything w/magnesium including M.O.M. and Mag. Citrate, Fleet Enemas, etc. Now, once that we've been on them for a long time and it's time to finally detox off ALL types opiates, how do you stop using them without not being able to go for days/weeks. I've tried LOTS of Rasin Bran and water, plus apples and bananas and exercise, to no avail. Once someone stops using something that causes constipation, (which seems to be everything), how do you get your normal bowel functions back? I asked this question before but only got answers to what helps with constipation. I don't need that. Is there a med that would help? Would saline enemas get things going again? I read that Metamucil is just as bad as stimulant lax because it actually irritates the large intestine, and that's how it works, so I don't need that. I'm already hooked on stimulant laxatives. I'm just looking to get back to "normal".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

quadracersteve wrote:
I think we all know that laxatives work. Stimulants,(vegetable lax), stool softeners, fiber,( grain and fruit), bulk fiber like Metamucil, Miralax, water, exercise, anything w/magnesium including M.O.M. and Mag. Citrate, Fleet Enemas, etc. Now, once that we've been on them for a long time and it's time to finally detox off ALL types opiates, how do you stop using them without not being able to go for days/weeks. I've tried LOTS of Rasin Bran and water, plus apples and bananas and exercise, to no avail. Once someone stops using something that causes constipation, (which seems to be everything), how do you get your normal bowel functions back? I asked this question before but only got answers to what helps with constipation. I don't need that. Is there a med that would help? Would saline enemas get things going again? I read that Metamucil is just as bad as stimulant lax because it actually irritates the large intestine, and that's how it works, so I don't need that. I'm already hooked on stimulant laxatives. I'm just looking to get back to "normal".

This is def a tough one! Cause like you said your body is addicted to these laxatives now so trying to get back to normal def won’t be easy. I’m basically on the other side were ill be taking laxatives the rest of my life do to being on suboxone for pain. And what I take that can be taken every day that has me normal is Lactalouse. But you don’t want any type of lax so I think your best bet is going to be with following a strict diet and getting in touch with a gastro on what natural things that might work for you! Ive heard laxative addiction can be a pretty serious problem so your best bet is goanna be to get in touch with a gastro and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was a little confused by your post, but I think what you're asking is now that you're off of opiates...how do you get your normal gut/bowel function back so you can go off of laxatives?

I think there are certain kinds of laxatives that you can take indefinitely without causing problems - Miralax is one of them. The ones you have to watch out for are the stimulant laxatives, as your body can become dependent on them and you have to take larger and larger doses for it to be effecitve, and at those higher doses there are negative side effects.

I don't think I ever had as much trouble with constipation as some of you guys have had to deal with, but I did have to deal with it somewhat. What worked for me was a combination of probiotics, fiber, water and exercise.

The probiotics I get from cultured/fermented foods like yogurt, kombucha tea, miso, tempeh & kefir. Fiber I get from fruits & veggies - I used to take a fiber supplement but I don't find that I need it any more. Water, well, you just have to drink a lot of it. And exercise just keeps it all moving.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Water works for me like, well, like water. I drank (2) 16oz glasses of water yesterday with breakfast and lunch, then I tried to take a nap. In the 1 1/2 hours lying down, I got up and went 5 times, each time going like I didn't go the previous time. Water passes through me so fast. Faster than beer, so it gives me no help softening things. I LIVED on Miralax until the side-effects I got from it was just as bad as being blocked up. Massive bloating/gas, and stomach churning. I researched this med, and I'm by far, not the only one that has this same problem. It worked GREAT for the first couple months. Got rid of the gas/bloating, but also made me go 5 or 6 times in a one hour period, and it was always the runs. Again, something others complained about. Always feeling like they had to go some more. I'm not making this up, but they diagnosed it as "leaky anus". GROSS!! Point being, not everyone can take Miralax w/out getting some sort of side-effects. But again, I'm looking to get OFF laxatives of ANY kind. I switched from a stimulant to Miralax just the other day, forgetting why I stopped taking it in the first place. Once my stomach filled up w/gas, and started to churn, I remembered why I stopped using it, so I'm back to stimulants again.