It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, This is only my second post but I have spent many hours reading on this sight. I have been on suboxone for a little over a year. It saved my life and that is no joke. I am posting because I have had 3 rt knee surgeries before I got on subs. I have had years of problems and i knew that I needed more surgeries when I started subs. I have been looking on the surgery threads for months and to be honest, they really scared me. I knew from prior experience that knee surgeries arent fun and are painfull. I have been looking for a way to go into the surgery and not come out in horrible pain. Well my surgery was on april 6th and It went great. My doctor, both my sub doc and my surgeon, were great. My surgeon had never heard of suboxone but he took it upon himself to research it after my pre-op and also spoke to my sub doc the night befor the surgery. What I did was I was on 24 mgs of sub for almost the whole year. I know this is a high dose but that is split up in 3 doses daily to help with pain. My sub doc wrote me a script for 36 perc 10/325 and instructed me to start on saturday april 5th taking up to 5 a day. I took my last sub dose friday night at 8pm and waited till saturday morning about 11 am to take 2 percs. I stuck it out with the 5 a day and I never really felt wds. I was so nervous about the surgery come wed but I woke up after and wasnt in any pain. They kept me very comfortable in the hospital and my surgeon sent me home with 60 more perc 10s. I have been doing great and am so ready to get back on subs. The meds have worked for the pain but no buzzzz. Which is perfectly fine with me. In a way, I feel more normal on the subs than I do right now. I am going to take my last dose of percs tonight and hopefully by tomorrow at around 11sh or 12sh I will feel wds and start subs again. Thanks for all the support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very cool! What a terrific success story. You did everything right and so did your doctors. That's the perfect combination: They started you on the full agonist first before surgery and put you on a high enough dose to keep you out of withdrawals and out of pain. And as you read in the other posts, others have not had such positive experiences. So it's great that you shared, so people can hear well surgeries and post op pain can go when one is on suboxone.

I'm glad it went well for you and I hope you have a successful re-induction back on sub.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: back on subs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well, I am finally back on subs, and not a moment too soon. Though my surgery has gone well and so has the pain control. I have felt like crap since switching from subs to percs. Like I was always on the verge of wds. But last night was my last dose of percs about 50mgs at 6pm. And I took my first 8mgs of sub at 8:30 then I needed a second 8mg at 9:30 and now I feel like a million bucks. I wanna say thanks to everyone on this sight. Like I said before I dont post a whole lot but Im on here just about ev ery day for the support. With out you all It would make this tough staying sober thing just about impossible.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I'm really impressed by how your surgeon handled the Sub and did his/her research. That is what SHOULD happen.
And it sounds like you really did a great job yourself...educating your surgeon, doing what you needed to do to take care of yourself, remain in recovery, not shy away from needing pain meds knowing you would have to have them, and then getting back on Sub....it's like you took control of the situation, was proactive and then also let others direct you, too....what a successful combination of events.
I'm so happy it worked out for you. Having only had a tooth extraction recently I can appreciate the fears-of pain and relapse and when to take Sub again, etc....mine worked out as well..and I never did stop sub except for about 16 hours when I took Lortab.
Thanks for posting your experience.