It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Klonopin and Subutex?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking Subutex for aboutique 6 months now and the whole time I was taking 1mg of lorazapam. And it started to not last all day. So my doctor put me on klonopin yestdrday. And I feel asleep after .5mg so today I took it in quarters.
I was wondering if anyone else takes klonopin with subutex. And If you had better luck with the adivan maybe I should of just asked to up the dose instead of changing the medication.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Summergirl,

This is extremely important. Does your doctor that put you on Klonipin know you are on Subs?

This is HUGE NO-NO, allegedly. I have heard of others doing it and following the docs orders EXACTLY and made it work.

But the literature says NO. So just be extremely careful. I'd be more worried if it was Xanax. Also they're addictive so that's another issue, please don't overuse.

Still, I don't think it's a good idea just because others have done it, you're not supposed to.

Be Well
Vox_Populi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes it is my subutex Doctor that put me on the klonopin.. I'm on benzos for my severe anxitey.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 am 

There really is no danger to being on a partial agonist like buprenorphine and a benzo at the same as long as you are tolerant already, which is sounds like you are.

It can be dangerous to take a benzo with any opiate, but less dangerous with a partial agonist and then less likely if you already have a tolerance. It also depends on dose. If you are on a very large dose of klonopin or suddenly raise it, you are more likely to have a depressed respiratory system and possibly overdose.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 am 

Just a personal anecdote. I've had a prescription for xanax for 7 or 8 years. My buprenorphine doctor prescribes it because I was already using it sparingly for panic attacks. It usually takes me 3 months to get through a prescription of 30 .25mg aprazolam (the generic). If he noticed an increase in usage, I'm sure we would talk and he would take me off of it. I don't want to be dependent on it any more than he wants me to be. The danger of taking both at once is in the amount and the novelty to your body.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all very much. Im only on 1mg of subutex. id really love to get off of it completely but i failed last time and started using pain pills again. so if 1mg keeps me from using other meds i think its a win. I only take half of a klonopin. im not really sure i like how they make me feel. maybe my body will get use to the switch after a couple days.

thank you all very much
Samantha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Summergirl,

Agree w Amy. I'll add that you're experiencing the disappointing problem of any benzo which occurs with regular daily use - they stop lasting as long and stop working as well, requiring higher doses and/or longer acting ones like your switch from lorazepam to clonazepam. The disappointing problem w benzos w daily use, is we all grow tolerant and it takes more and more to cover the same anxiety. Many of us here ended up w a nasty dependence on a benzos. For me, stopping bup went really well. But stopping the benzo took a miserable long time. Often here, we see Dr Junig, aka suboxdoc suggest a SSRI, if appropriate. It is a type of antidepressesant that's quite effective for anxiety.

Glad you know to stay on bup until you're truly ready to taper off! You are wise. Wishing you my best, Pelican