It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been on Subs for almost 4 years now and only one person I am close to knows about it. I hit rock bottom back then after doing about 4 80mg oxys a day. I had lost my job insurance and was broke. I did had a friend that could get a hold of Subs though so I went for it.

I stuck with it and havent touch another opiate since. The first thing I noticed was I started to chain smoke up to two and a half packs a day at one point and today thats down to one. So I have been doing the Sub thing all this time at about 8mg a day for a month and 4mg a day since all without ever seeing a doctor. The Subs in my area are not that available on the street but I've had one person come through every month when he gets his scrpt, I guess I'm just lucky.

I have attempted to quit a couple of times but not by choice only because I was running low and didn't know when I would get more. I've read quite a few stories on here and prettty much know what to expect come 1mg which I did for a few days until I was able to get more. I really started to feel it come day 4. I definitly want to quit all together but not sure if I should seek a doctors help and not sure how the doc would feel about me doing all of this on my own. I do know that reading all of the stories on here have made me feel like I'm not alone.

While on Subs I recently gave a few of mine to a friend and his wife to help them quit. They of course went through some w/d but it only lasted about a week or two before they both called and thanked me. It was one of the most gratifying things I've done as I know what addiction can do to someones life.

Anyways I am seeking advice on my next step. I'm about to turn 32 on Mon and dont want this to be the last chapter of my life. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:31 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

cosme9242 wrote:
Been on Subs for almost 4 years now and only one person I am close to knows about it. I hit rock bottom back then after doing about 4 80mg oxys a day. I had lost my job insurance and was broke. I did had a friend that could get a hold of Subs though so I went for it.

I stuck with it and havent touch another opiate since. The first thing I noticed was I started to chain smoke up to two and a half packs a day at one point and today thats down to one. So I have been doing the Sub thing all this time at about 8mg a day for a month and 4mg a day since all without ever seeing a doctor. The Subs in my area are not that available on the street but I've had one person come through every month when he gets his scrpt, I guess I'm just lucky.

I have attempted to quit a couple of times but not by choice only because I was running low and didn't know when I would get more. I've read quite a few stories on here and prettty much know what to expect come 1mg which I did for a few days until I was able to get more. I really started to feel it come day 4. I definitly want to quit all together but not sure if I should seek a doctors help and not sure how the doc would feel about me doing all of this on my own. I do know that reading all of the stories on here have made me feel like I'm not alone.

I think if it were me I might try to get in to see a sub doc. You might tell them you were seeing a Dr. in another state and just moved here....etc... Since you want to quit the subs, it might be better to be under a Dr.'s care.

Good luck to you and let us hear how you are doing.

Slipper

While on Subs I recently gave a few of mine to a friend and his wife to help them quit. They of course went through some w/d but it only lasted about a week or two before they both called and thanked me. It was one of the most gratifying things I've done as I know what addiction can do to someones life.

Anyways I am seeking advice on my next step. I'm about to turn 32 on Mon and dont want this to be the last chapter of my life. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would definitely try to see a Doc. I noticed you lost your job and insurance which may cause some major difficulties. Depending on what state you are in, I would apply for some state med aid. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Now cenotaph his fame"
-Alfred Tennyson

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No insurance is why I've never seen a Dr for all the years I 've taen Subs. Washington State is where I'm at. I do know of a doctor in the area but again I'm reluctant to go because I'm not sure how they would react or just flat out turn me away then I would be out 3-500 bucks.

Tapering off is something I think about doing every day for the past year and with no doctor and no one knowing what I am going through it would all be on my own which scares me more than any w/d symptom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If I were in your shoes, I would look at the costs and see if going to a Doc outweighs the costs of getting the Sub off the streets. My Doc is charging me $500 in initial costs but my insurance covers all the actual scripts. Also, look into state medical insurance and see if you qualify.

Now cenotaph his fame"
-Alfred Tennyson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It can't hurt to go to the doctor and see what he has to say. There is no shame in telling the truth too him, you have been getting subs off the street because you wanted to quit using opiates. Your exactly what the doctors want for a patient, someone who wants to not use drugs anymore. id at least go see what they have to say.

I also have no insurance, i have to pay cash for my scripts. I dont have to go to any special doctor though, my family doctor in town can prescribe subs and treats people, so the visits only costs me 15 bucks. im lucky there, but my script which is about 120bucks a month, still not too bad compared to some stories i have heard.

There are also programs that will give you up to a year of free sub scripts, my doctor put me on this the first year i saw him, it was very helpful to have a free script that first year. it gave me time to get my life in order and get caught up before i had to start paying for them myself.

Best of luck, id atleast go see what they have to say, it really can do no harm.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Telling the truth is the best. I don't see a Doc turning you away. Like Ego mentioned, you are a perfect candidate for Sub.

Now cenotaph his fame"
-Alfred Tennyson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for all the responses. It is reasuring to hear what others have to say. Buying them off the street hasn't been to expensive. It started at $6 a pill and then in the past month it has gone up to $10 because the guy I get them from has everyone and their mother wanting them so bidding wars insue.

I really don't want to deal with it anymore and just want to do my recovering on my terms and not depend on someone else. I have a job interview this Tues and I turn 32 years old in a couple hours so I'm hoping things get better soon. Once I have more income than just unemployment I can start to look at what my cost would be to see a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cosme9242 wrote:

I really don't want to deal with it anymore and just want to do my recovering on my terms and not depend on someone else. I have a job interview this Tues and I turn 32 years old in a couple hours so I'm hoping things get better soon. Once I have more income than just unemployment I can start to look at what my cost would be to see a doctor.

You mentioned above that you are going on a job interview soon. Are you not worried about drug testing? This might be a good reason to go see the doctor and get your script legitimately. Another thing to think about would be if you ever have a need to go to the hospital (accident, sudden medical problems,...) You have to be very careful what medication is given to you while you are on the subs. We have to carry around a medical alert card in our wallets in case of an emergency someone will see that we take suboxone. I am not chastising you in any way for using off the streets. I completely understand your situation and I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing in your shoes. I am only trying to encourage you to go to the doctor and do this the right way. There are so many things that a doctor can do for you to help you be more successful than you can be on your own. I have heard of many people going to their doctors and starting the program after being on suboxone they were buying from friends. I think this is probably a very common thing that they see. I can't speak for every doctor, but I don't see the difference in buying sub off the street or buying your pills/dope off the street. It is all illegal. Buying the sub just shows that you were already trying to get clean on your own. I think the doc will appreciate your honesty. Give it a shot, I think you will feel much better about yourself and your recovery if you do it the right way.

I hope this helps a little. Let us know what you decide. We will be here for you either way, most people here are very encouraging and really want to see people succeed no matter what their choices are.

~ Qhorsegal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you and I definitly will. Like many others have said the info on this site is invaluable. I still wouldn't call subs mainstream just yet but it sure is going in that direction. A very unique powerful drug that imo should be taken under profesional supervision. In cases like mine I felt like the only choices I had were swithch to herion keep, taking oxys and go through w/d when your broke, or take subs and hope for the best. It was a no brainer for me.

Post subject: Price of subs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure the dr would charge you the first fee unless they actually treat you. Give them a call and see. The receptionist at my clinic was able to tell me over the phone if I was eligible to get on subs or not. Then we scheduled the appt and I paid the $500 when I was inducted...not just up front before I even knew if they'd give them to me.

Also, subs are cheaper than what you are paying (you said you are paying $10/sub now). The Rite Aid here in CA charges $6.65/sub. That is after taxes and after the $50 off card you can print on the suboxone.com website.

It may be even cheaper for you to go to the doctor in the long run. :)