It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will be scheduled for surgery soon to remove a kidney stone.

Thru a long story, I ended up on 4mg os subutech (not suboxone).

Its a 45 minute surgery.

From what ive read, should I stop the sub 24 hours before the surgery ? 12 hours ?

And then let them know no narcotics during surgery (since I am now opiate sensitive, opiates all of them cause palpitatiosn now, after going off the sub and onto short acting opiates, so I will not take any narcotics anymore).

PLEASE SEE MY POST UNDER OPIATE HYPERSENSITIVITY

But in terms of stopping the subutech, whats the rule of thumb ? The day before, or simply the morning of surgery, skipping that dose ?

Its a 45 minute to 1 hour surgery.

And then ake the subutech right after the surgery ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's actually recommended to stop the subutex or suboxone 2-3 days before undergoing a surgical procedure. But that's so that pain meds they give you will hopefully provide some pain relief. Am I understanding correctly, that you're choosing not to take pain meds? (Sorry I haven't read your other post yet.) If that's the case and you won't be getting any pain meds, then to be honest, I'm not sure you'd have to stop the sub at all. But I'm not absolutely sure of that. It probably also depends on what type of anesthesia they'll be giving you. If it's general, then sub won't interfere with that.

We've got a couple of nurses here on the forum, maybe they will chime in with better, more accurate information for you.

Good luck with the surgery.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
It's actually recommended to stop the subutex or suboxone 2-3 days before undergoing a surgical procedure. But that's so that pain meds they give you will hopefully provide some pain relief. Am I understanding correctly, that you're choosing not to take pain meds? (Sorry I haven't read your other post yet.) If that's the case and you won't be getting any pain meds, then to be honest, I'm not sure you'd have to stop the sub at all. But I'm not absolutely sure of that. It probably also depends on what type of anesthesia they'll be giving you. If it's general, then sub won't interfere with that.

We've got a couple of nurses here on the forum, maybe they will chime in with better, more accurate information for you.

Good luck with the surgery.

So if I do go off sub 2-3 days before, won't I started expericning withdrawls during surgery or the morning of ?

It seems like if I will not take pain meds, then staying on the sub is better ?

Does anyone know if sub interfered with general anasthesia ?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone will not interfere with the typical general anesthesia. Most of the induction agents that are used are not opiate-based and therefore will not be blocked by Suboxone. Now, some forms of conscious sedation may in fact use an opiate as part of the cocktail of medications that are given. However, conscious sedation is not often used for actual surgery. Probably the major exception to all of this would be the use of Fentanyl as an induction agent. From what I understand, that is not very common these days anymore. But how would you know? Well, the only way to know is to ask. It makes absolutely no sense to guess with any of this and take a chance. How much pain are you likely to have post surgery? Do you know? Again, if you do not know, you are very foolish for just rolling the dice and taking a chance with all of this.

I would strongly suggest that you speak with both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist and let them know that you are a Suboxone patient so they can plan to work around the limitations that Suboxone can impose. Now, if you are not likely to have significant pain following surgery, or if the pain can be adequately managed by non-narcotic medications, then you are very correct in thinking that there is little reason to stop your Suboxone. Why would you? However, if you are going to be in pain, you don't want to keep taking your Suboxone and then suffer for three or four days while pain meds fail to work. ASK - ASK - ASK!!!

If indeed you are likely to need pain medication, try to stop your Suboxone for as long as you possibly can. From everything that I have read, if you can make it five days, that would be awesome. If not, three days seems to be the minimum time to be off of Suboxone. If nothing else, try to stop for five days and if you have withdrawals on day three or four, take just a small sliver - 0.5 mg or less to help get you through it. The longer you are off of Sub and the less you have in your system, the better the pain meds will work - that is just the facts. Again, if your doctor tells you that you are not likely to suffer significant pain, then keep taking your Suboxone. Either way, you really need to discuss this with the healthcare providers taking care of you. If you are not able to talk with them - you may not have the right providers - or you need to do some additional recovery work on your addiction. Talk to them. Don't take a chance.