It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently (and have been) in a sub clinic for four years. I live in fear of missing a phone call for a count. They say if you miss the call, you are dismissed. Awhile back, I read something that said you can request that they contact you only by mail. And that legally they have to respect that.

Does anyone know anything about patient rights in Kentucky? I really want to be able to read them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 am 

My clinic is in Kentucky. I don't know the patient rights thing though, just my clinic's rules lol. I live in Tennessee but go to my clinic in ky because I'm on the state line. The four years that I've been at my clinic, I've never had a count. I have heard two ppl say they had one. They were given a phone call and told they had til closing to get there. I don't think they were threatened with dismissal if they didn't but who knows cause my clinic can have strict rules. But since I've never been counted, I just assumed it was clinic choice and not some kind of state rules. I've heard of ppl getting refills and my Dr would faint if I asked him for a refill lol. I'm just trying to say that I think each place has their own individual rules about that stuff....but that's just a guess.

I think it's unfair for a place to dismiss someone just because they can't make it in or missing a phone call....I'd be a complete nervous wreck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:39 pm 

If you want to know about your rights as a patient the best thing to do is to ask your caseworker for a printout of all the clinic rules. Now that the new year has begun, this is the perfect time. My clinic has these rules too. Make sure your phone number is up to date so there is not a missed call. Be ready. Its your script to protect. I believe it is all part of the recovery process. Thats how I see it and what I tell others and newcomers to the clinic. Protect yourself and your meds. That way there is nothing to fear......Razor.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you discussed this with your doctor? Not with 'they' which I presume is clinic staff. Would your Dr. really discharge you if you missed a call? Do they realize how anxiety provoking this is for you? My patients are frequently between phone plans, sometimes homeless, in jail or otherwise unable to drop everything and rush in for a count. Oh, the biggest group of course are employed and can't leave work at a moments notice.
Once you get your responses you will have to decide whether to move on to another clinic/provider. As far as legality in Kentucky, I don't know. But, if you are making waves they could come up with another reason to discharge you. Don't accept that it is because of the DEA, that is udder cow crap.
good luck
docm2