It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've recently switched from the strips to subutex tabs. It's not going to well considering I can't seem to keep them under my tongue long enough! The strips I had the same issue, but since they dissolved faster it wasn't an issue. I've tried to break the tabs up into smaller pieces, tried the painting method...nothing is working :( I always end up with a mouth full of saliva that I end up swallowing on accident within 10 min. I don't think 10 min is nearly close to long enough for these! The couple of times I was able to keep the meds in longer I could def tell the difference. I'm still waiting on my insurance to see if they approve the strips for me, which could be another couple weeks. So I have some time on these left (if not forever if they deny me, which I'm praying and hoping they don't, that would really screw this whole thing up for me). Anyhow....Is there any suggestions out there for people with saliva build up issues? Any help is appreciated. Also, if I accidently swallow the dose within 5-10 min....and I know it's not working like it should, do I take more of a dose or just deal with it till my next dose? Thanks guys, again. I've been posting a lot on here since this change lol :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:56 pm 

Hey Mizz,
Not sure what else to tell you. Only that to start with the driest
mouth possible.
Then crush tab and paint everywhere in your mouth over and over again.
always keep your chin down. Never open yor mouth.

Subutex is as potent as suboxone. Same med really.
You arent having wd are you?
If not then you are getting absorbtion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No, I'm not in w/d, thank God for that! BUT, every since I've made this switch I have felt like I've dropped my dose way down. It has to be absorption. I can't stand constantly thinking about this, that's all I know. I can't stand that every night now I lay down and am feeling crappy because I haven't gotten the amount that I need to make it thru 24 hours. By the time I wake up I'm really feeling bad and have to dose right away. Before on the strips I didn't have this issue. As a matter of fact, I didn't have enough of these to make it thru the weekend because I didn't realize my pharmacy closed early on Saturday and is closed on Sunday. So all day Sunday I was out. (I've been getting my meds a few days at a time waiting for insurance). Well, that Sunday...I was in w/d come 4-5 o'clock pm. That wouldn't have happened with the films. I've been out of the films for a couple of days in the past and never really had an issue with w/d. Not physically at least. Mentally it sucked, but I was fine otherwise. This past Sunday was all physical (and mental). I know I've been posting a lot lately, and I'm sorry if it's become repetitive. Just trying to make it thru.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hey Mizz :) when I first started subs I always worried about it not absorbing like it should or swallowing my medicine. I'm on the strips and don't stress over it anymore but I know how stressed u are. The only advice I can give is when u first open ur eyes in the morning... before u even take a drink, put ur meds in and don't move ur tongue or anything. Maybe that'll help?? I do that and I'll tell ya, sometimes I wonder if my mouths too dry lol. So maybe try that...yeah? Good luck and I really hope u get some peace on this...it isn't fair :/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm 

Btw I know ur mouth shouldn't be that dry but if ur having issues with too much saliva, then couldn't hurt trying that way....just trying to help cause I know ur in a desperate situation ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the suggestion Jen! It's much appreciated. It really isn't fair to be in this situation. I've been on the strips since day 1 and they have been what's helped. Been on Subs 2 years, going on 3. Then all the sudden my insurance doesn't cover the strip brand anymore. It's too expensive for out of pocket, which I WAS doing for a couple months and really screwed myself financially. So my doc suggested these, being much cheaper. Which is great! But what I'm having to deal with in return is not so much.

I will try dosing first thing when I wake up and see how that goes. At least maybe that will get me thru the day somewhat. Only downside to that is I dose 3 times a day because of high metabolism. I know people hear that and think "yeah right", but for me it's the truth. I can't put on weight for anything and medicine is very short lived. I tried dosing once but couldn't do it. Twice was fine until I started having issues with sleep at night. Thus the reason for a quarter dose at night.

The strips for me where perfect because I could easily cut them for multiple dosing. And when I taper I know it would be so much easier. Trying to break these pills is ridiculous. White powder everywhere. Looking at my dresser wondering if I should just lick it off or what lol.

This blows! I want my strips back dammit!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm going to try crushing my next tab. See how that goes. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:54 pm 

Hey mizz...i really like jenns idea of first thing in the morning/dry mouth..also try putin a few pieces up an under you front lip and gums.and bottem lip an gum.kinda like snuff..worth a shot....razor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

mizzme wrote:
I've recently switched from the strips to subutex tabs. It's not going to well considering I can't seem to keep them under my tongue long enough! The strips I had the same issue, but since they dissolved faster it wasn't an issue. I've tried to break the tabs up into smaller pieces, tried the painting method...nothing is working :( I always end up with a mouth full of saliva that I end up swallowing on accident within 10 min. I don't think 10 min is nearly close to long enough for these! The couple of times I was able to keep the meds in longer I could def tell the difference. I'm still waiting on my insurance to see if they approve the strips for me, which could be another couple weeks. So I have some time on these left (if not forever if they deny me, which I'm praying and hoping they don't, that would really screw this whole thing up for me). Anyhow....Is there any suggestions out there for people with saliva build up issues? Any help is appreciated. Also, if I accidently swallow the dose within 5-10 min....and I know it's not working like it should, do I take more of a dose or just deal with it till my next dose? Thanks guys, again. I've been posting a lot on here since this change lol :?

10mins is no where as close to enough time, not with pill/tabs, im on the generic buprenorphine/naloxone tablets, basically what you're on, just with naloxone. It takes me almost a hour to take my daily dose. I normally break it(a 8mg tab) in half, and put each half on either side, and i set my tongue down, and sorta push the tip of my touch(lightly) against the back of my bottom teeth, with my mouth closed obviously. I normally do this for about 30mins, by then its all absorbed/broken down. You'll wanna continue keeping your tongue sorta pushed down, with the the tip of tongue lightly pushed against your bottom teeth for that whole first 30mins... Then, from there i pick up my tongue, and then rub the tip of my tongue where the two pieces where for a 1min or so, and then do this off and on for another 30mins, and sorta moving the saliva around in my mouth... I also dont swallow AT ALL of this whole hour(maybe a very small swallow after the first 30mins though if the back of my throat seems dry).... This is the only method that ive found to work. And ive tried everything... Give this a try, i know it seems like a long time compared to strips, but trust me you'll get the absorption you're looking for. Just turn on a TV show or something, and sit down and do it.. Id recommend nothing that will make you laugh, as it will make you move your tonge, which isn't good...