It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:00 pm 

Karl, what Q said about not being able to take benzo's and sub is absolutely correct. Its not debatable really. There are a few exceptions that do find a Dr that does, even some ppl on this forum have a Dr who prescribes benzo....but not a lot. From my experience, my Dr will kick u out with a handshake and send u on ur way if u test positive for benzo. I sat through a lecture for 20 min my first visit being told its a risk and too dangerous to mix these two medications. Is it really dangerous? Obviously some still prescribe both but most think it isn't worth the risk. We don't debate it here because its just the way it is honestly. I was only addicted to pain meds, so it did not matter to me about any benzo. Not all addicts abuse anything we get our hands on lol. Since u are well informed and are just looking for relief then if I were u I would go ahead and visit some doctors who prescribe sub in ur area and possibly take the step to see if this is something that will help u. I really wish u weren't so defensive to ppl who truly are just trying to give u the best advice they can. I don't even know u and really want to see u feel better, I'm sure u just wanna feel better like the rest of us do regardless if ur an addict or not. In the end, everyone just wants to live a happy or content life. We've all took the time to make sure ur well informed on our side of things, we aren't trying to offend or debate u on anything at all. IMO I think u should try to see if u can even find a Dr that will do this for u first, then if u do, then take that step. I would love to see a post from u one day saying it worked and ur feeling better :) That's really all any of us want for u.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Karl,

I'm obviously not a doctor, so I can't site specific medical documentation about the risks of mixing opiates and benzos. But, it is a fact that a large percentage of overdose deaths from prescription opiates are caused by mixing them with some type of benzo. I agree that this risk should be less pronounced with a buprenorphine product, but the risk is still there.

I don't have any strong personal feelings about this topic one way or another. If a patient really needs a benzo and they can find a doctor who is willing to prescribe them both then I think it's great. I was only trying to make you aware that this is something you will probably have a hard time getting a doctor to agree to.

As for the dose of subs being kept around 2mg - This is based on information which another member here referenced in a post recently. There has been very limited research done using buprenorphine for depression, but studies indicate that patients receive maximum benefits when the dose is kept to 2mg or less. I don't know exactly why that is, but of the 3 other patients who have posted here who use bupe for depression/anxiety they were all given doses in that range. I'll see if I can find a link to that post for you because I'm pretty sure that member gave a link to the study she referenced.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here is the post I was referencing -

subutex-for-depression-t4986.html

The member's name is hgleee27, look for the third from last post on the bottom of page 1. She didn't have an exact link to the study, but told exactly what to type into google to find it.

Hgleee27 Wrote:
"The first study and results can be found by Googling "Safety, Tolerability, and Clinical Effect of Low-Dose Buprenorphine for Treatment-Resistant Depression in Midlife and Older Adults". The same Dr is currently doing more studies along the same lines. It seems the most effective dose seems to be in the .5mg to 2mg range (daily). --"

Check out that thread I linked to above, there's quite a bit of information from hgleee27 that you may find interesting. She mentioned a new drug that is being tested currently for depression that is basically buprenorphine, but they have managed to remove the portion of the drug that is responsible for activating the mu receptors. Essentially it is supposed to allow you to receive the depression relieving benefits of bupe, without the euphoria or risk of addiction. Please don't ask me how this works, because I have no idea. I'm only passing on the info she posted.