It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I'm new here.,and need the strength to get me through the next week or so. I been recovering from my addiction of pain killers. I got on suboxone two years ago and was switched to subutex last August when I became pregnant. I was ultimately scared, I thought the baby would be fine. My details advised me to keep on the meds customer going through withdrawal could harm the baby or there was high risk of miscarriage. My Dr told me it was safe for me and the baby so I trusted nothing bad would happen. Well I had a csection last Monday..my baby boy is so beautiful! He was 7lbs.3oz.and cute as a button. I thought I'd be able to take him home with me. I was wrong. Let's keep in mind the Dr told me everything would be "fine"..so I trusted that. Now my son is being treated for NAS..they're feeding him morphine every 4hours or so, and weaning him a little day by day. I'm just not sure how much longer we can take him being gone. It kills me to leave him in the hospital each day and seems like time is standing still. I blame myself and so does everyone else in my life. It hurts so bad that there is nothing I can do. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation, and if there's any advice on how to get through all of this. I have 2other kids to care for and the baby's dad absolutely hates me for what our son is going through. By the way, I was prescribed 24mg of subutex a day, I managed to slowly cut myself down to 4mg a day before giving birth. This whole thing is messed up and I cannot control it. I need help! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Manda - Congrats on your new baby, and my sympathies that you aren't able to take him home right away.

I know that what you're going through is really difficult and you're doing a positive thing by reaching out for help. We do have other mamas around the forum who have given birth on Suboxone, I think Marie is the most recent one. Hopefully they will chime in and offer you some advice.

I'm so sorry that you are feeling shame and blame from yourself and your loved ones. You actually made a GOOD choice by staying on Suboxone throughout your pregnancy. You did what you needed to do to protect your baby from withdrawals in-utero and from the negative impacts of active addiction. I know seeing your baby on morphine in the NICU is scary, but he will be ok, and he won't remember any of this. Your doctor should have prepared you for the possibility of NAS and made a plan with you, so I am sure you feel betrayed and misled. But here you are and the only thing you can do is move forward.

Dr. Junig has written about Suboxone and pregnancy and about NAS, I have to go to an appointment right now but I will look up the articles for you when I can. The jist of it is that the newborn experience of withdrawal is nothing like what we experience as fully-grown opiate addicts. Many of the "symptoms" of NAS are things that newborns do anyway, even if their moms never used opiates: sneezing, startling, sucking. Please try not to beat yourself up, you did the right thing and your son is getting the care that he needs. Soon you will be through this and home together as a family.

I'm sorry that I have to run, but I encourage you to stick around and let us know how things go. Read through some of the stories on the Pregnancy & Suboxone forum. Some of them get a little scary with babies being in the NICU and whatnot, but they all end with mom and baby safely at home. Take care of yourself too, you are recovering as well you know. See you around the forum.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

IThank u for ur sympathies. I guess the whole thing would be a little easier if we knew when he was coming home.
It would be more bearable if I knew everyone didnt see me as a horrible mother. Ii looked up almost every post about this,and it seems like im just unlucky. My baby is the exeption.. Why me? Could I have done something differently? If I did,would my baby be ok right now?
My son has been in the hospital since last monday (when I had him) they started his meds last thursday. I feel like the dr is prolonging the process.. Id like to at least have an Idea of when hell be done,but nobody has that answer. If anyone has been through this,please please please post a reply! Thanks in advance

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:27 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi! Welcome to the forum, and Congrats on your little bundle of joy!! I just had a little boy myself seven weeks ago. Although my son wasn't kept @ the hospital and placed on meds, I know how scary this must be for you. I was taking between 12-16mg of Subutex throughout most of my pregnancy. I had been on Suboxone for about a yr before I learned I was preggo. Everyone (myself included) thought it would be best if I tapered a little. But, I found tapering quite difficult while stressing over the whole situation for nine months. Not only was I worried about my baby having NAS, but when I found out I was pregnant, my husband had just lost his job and we didn't have any health insurance. I was a nervous wreck! Luckily, I found an O.B. whom also has experience with high risk Moms (including addicts). I know how ashamed you feel, thinking everyone blames you for your son's NAS. I obsessed about facing my family's and my friend's opinion of me the entire pregnancy. Not many people are educated about Sub. In fact, my husband is in the medical field himself. But, until I forced him to research the effects of Sub on pregnant women/babies, he actually wanted me to have an abortion! Yhep. He was so scared of how our baby might turn out, that he thought we just shouldn't have him. It kills me to even type those words. After much research and soul searching, my husband came to support me. Our son did have mild NAS. By the grace of God, it didn't appear until the day we were going home. They kept him until that evening to do NAS scoring, but his highest score was a 4. @ the hospital I delivered @,they begin babies on medication when they reach a seven. Go to the NIH website, print out their study/show it to your Ped. and your family. Ask questions, try to be present when they score Ur son. And stop beating Urself up! Your in recovery and Ur a WONDERFUL Mother! I'll post you some links to studies I found ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Manda, I have not personally been in this situation but I just wanted to offer support to you. I feel for you. On top of not having your little guy at home with you, you are also missing the support of your husband...feeling judged by others....and worrying about how your son is doing as well. Postpartum is a stressful time, you don't need this added stress.

First I want to second what marie and DOAQ said and that is that you have done nothing wrong. You sought out a treatment for your disease of addiction and followed your doctors advice. I have read about many pg women on Subutex....laddertipper will most likely post a response as well as she has gone through this and her child is doing great. off the charts smart. No residual effects. Remaining on Subutex is what is advised. You'd risk miscarriage if you'd tried to detox. And I know many recovering addicts on Methadone who gave birth as well...and everyone did fine....

Don't allow anyone to put you down. You hold your head up, walk into that hospital knowing you took good care of your baby when you were pregnant, continue taking care of your baby, and he will be home soon. Help your husband understand more....give him articles to read (I'm sure you've already done this). He needs to be a positive support for you.

And take care of yourself right now. Make sure you eat well and get rest...this all will be over soon and will be a blip in time. I really hope that your husband comes around...I imagine not having been on Sub himself it is difficult to wrap his head around and he is probably scared, too...Just know others here will be supporting you and posting and that you did nothing wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im happy to have some form of support. Thank u guys. The dr said hell have a better idea of when the baby will come home on monday. I just want this all to be over with now. I do feel guilty. My baby doesnt deserve this,he never asked for any of this. And I feel so bad for putting everyone thru this bullshit. And to be honest,i feel like I should just forget about recovering,it seems easier to forget about taking subs completely.. Thats not realistic tho,i know. By the way,the babys dad demanded I get off subs when I first found out I was pregnant,i told him I would,but when I asked my dr,he told me no..that its safer to stay on than get off. I ended up lying to my boyfriend,just to save a huge fight. So he didnt know I was on subs through my whole pregnancy,i understand him being angry and feeling decieved.by me. I just want to move on with this chapter of my life,i want to enjoy my son at home. I feel like shit about the whole situation. Thanks to everyone for letting me vent,andi appreciate all of ur advice..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Marie,i gotta tell u this. My boyfriend says he would rather me risk a miscarriage,than risk the baby being in the hospital for a couple weeks on morphine. So really,you arent alone on that whole thing :wink: