It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: is it just me??????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys!

I am on day 6 clean and using suboxone to help with this. I hated it the first 2 days because I expected to "feel something" but I soon realized that was the point! It has REALLY helped me and I have minimal side effects. At least, less than WD every day. I am on 24 mg per day and it seems to be good. I was addicted to H for a year.

Only complaint is I have not slept more than 2 hours

and

I wake up drenched in sweat.

Any one know if this is just from changing such a huge thing in my body or is this truly a side effect of the subs?

I would love help on the 2 side effects.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey There:

Welcome to the site. WOW, 24mg, eh? That's a LOT of suboxone. I'm not a doctor, but that dose is very high, imho. I have been abusing opiates for 30+ years and when they started me at 16mg I felt the same things you are feeling. Sweating, especially...but it had the opposite effect on my sleep patterns, I started sleeping better than I had slept in years.

I have a feeling, though, that you will adjust to this after a while, I know I did. After about a week or so I felt pretty normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Miss H and welcome to our little community! We're glad you're here. And congrats on your recent remission. I'm sorry you're having some trouble. I've heard of other people having problems sleeping at first. Ideally you'll adjust soon. You might end up stabilizing on a lower dose and that will help with the side effect of sweating, too. It's not unusual to start out on a high dosage at first. You probably won't need to be at that high a dose for very long.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Again, welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Heres my experience.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was addicted to H at the end of my war with opiates too. I've been on Suboxone for bout a year. Wow, that is a high dose of Suboxone! Thats likely why you cant sleep. I know it absolutely keeps me up if I take it after 6:00 PM. Maybe you should talk to your doctor bout it? I'd say that its the high dose doing that and/or taking it late in the evening.

Oh, and the only other side affect I've really noticed personally are bad head-aches. I've read other people say that on other websites as well Best of Luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, now that I think about it a little bit, I've seen higher doses, but I often wonder, with the ceiling effect and all, if anything over, say, 16mg is really accomplishing anything.....

I'm definitely not "bragging" here, but I never met anyone who did more heroin than I did. When I used to fix in front of other addicts, they used to look at me like I was insane, and I even had a few try to take my set away from me because they thought I was trying to "check out" and at the end of my latest run of drug use, back in 2008, on most days I was crunching up anywhere from 15 to 20 pills - 30mg oxycontin tabs - all at the same time :shock: .....even my suboxone doctor was astonished that I was not overdosing when taking that many pills at one time.

And yet, on 16mg of suboxone, I was practically drooling on myself for the first week or so......

That's the only reason I am a little surprised at the dose, but then again, I think I remember someone posting here recently who takes 32mg per day and has been taking 32mg per day for quite a while, so what do I know? :lol:

I do recall that the worst of the side effects seemed to go away after about a week to 10 days though, so hopefully, missH, you will feel better soon.

Post subject: thanks guys!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I hope I am replying right...

You guys just made my day by replying! I wasn't sure if anyone would answer me. This is the first time I have joined any type of site like this! I figure its probably the best time to stay connected with other people who struggle with addiction. Especially since I just 2 weeks ago admitted I had a problem and wanted help!

So, I kind of agree about the high dose but at the same time I would be scared not to take it and feel sickly! I am 5'11 and barely 125lbs too..The day I went to my treatment center(last thursday)~I also had a high fever and kidney infection. it was HELL. So I almost wonder if it was hard for them to dose me because I had symptoms from that and WD's.

and with the H, I really didnt have that huge of a tolerence. Well toward the end~The last 2 weeks. I tapered down as much as you can on that stuff...and used once in the AM and once after work& just enough to feel "normal". The ride home from work was as uncomfortable as when I woke up vomiting and hurrying to make my "dose". Boy how that got old FAST!

Good news...I slept 8 hours last night! So, maybe I do need to be more patient. I just hate sweating. But again...it could be worse.

I read a ton of people got headaches from swallowing because of one of the ingrediants. I have tried suboxone a few times in the past, incorrectly and swallowed my spit & always had a weird headache. My Dr told me I was doing it all wrong. He said to hold it in my mouth at least 15 min and then spit it out. I havent had one headache yet.

Thank you guys AGAIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Miss H! I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and echo what the others have said. I started on 24mg also and I was always sweaty at night and especially in the mornings. Any humid weather just killed me. But once I decreased my dose that went away. I can understand the feeling of wanting the higher dose because at first you are so afraid of withdrawal. But if you stick around this site you will learn a lot. I did. After a couple of weeks on suboxone, you could actually skip a day at the dose you are on and you probably wouldn't notice it at all; except in your head. I believe most people are at the ceiling at about 4mg. As long as you remain above the ceiling, you won't get withdrawal. I used to be so fearful of withdrawal that my head would trick me into feeling badly if I missed a dose or something. Once I learned about the ceiling, I just pushed myself to reduce the dosage and not fool myself into symptoms that don't really exist. It does take time to change your behavior patterns and thought processes but eventually if you work on it, you will and it will get much easier. It is really only truly difficult to taper at the lower levels of suboxone. For me, as long as I am on about 4-8mg per day I have zero problems and there is enough room for me to miss a dose without feeling it. I prefer it that way so I don't have to stress about pills and whatnot. Plus I take it for pain so I am never going any lower than this.

Anyways, hang in there. I am sure it will get better and soon you will feel comfortable getting down around 16mg and a lot of the side effects ought to fade a little. It does seem like a miracle drug though doesn't it? When I was addicted to oxycontin, I couldn't have imagined in a million years that there was something that could entirely take that feeling of withdrawal away. I was shocked at how well this works. Still am.

Take care!
Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Congrats and Welcome....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi MissH,
Welcome to the Forum. I think you will see that you have found the best place on the Web for talking to other addicts in Recovery!! As usual the members here came through and have already given you some good advice!! If I could just add from my experience the sweating you talk about is the only side effect that I have encountered? I am also on 16mgs. a day and have been for 19 months!! I am glad you found us and I hope you stick around and keep posting.
Best of luck in your Recovery....

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks twinply and jackcrack

I look forward to getting to a more stable body! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi missH, I am queenie. I designated myself the grandmother of this site. I am 68 and I have a painkiller addiction. Please read my story where I introduced myself. I think it will help you know me and my problems better.

I am soooooo glad I found this site. I am fairly new and I feel like I have known the people here forever. They are so caring and they want to sincerely help and share experiences.

You have such a great attitude. You are one of the lucky ones that is going to make it. I just know it.

Subs is a miracle. I struggled, hid my problem, counted pills, lied & lied some more to get pills. I couldn't take it anymore. Worried that I was gonna get sick. When I did, I ended up in the ER saying I had a stomach virus because my daughter was with me & I hinted to the nurses and doctors to please cool it. But my daughter is 48 and not stupid. She caught on. I have 2 grandsons that I am proud of. I have to do this for me & for them.

You can write to me whenever you want to, for whatever reason. Even if just for talk. I am here. I had my leg amputated 11 months ago so I'm pretty much at home & at my laptop. Please keep up the positive thoughts. You can do this. Be patient, take your subs right, stay busy and know that you have friends here. Love & hope, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thank you queenie.

I tried to PM you...so let me know if you dont get a message and I did it wrong

Post subject: PM message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, you have to click "Send PM" logo at the bottom of my page. If you did that then something is wrong because I should have gotten it. I am computer dumb so you can probably hep me. ha ha. Try again. I am looking forward to it. Love & hope, queenie

If you can't pm me, my e-mail is grandmabx42 at gmail.com

edited to fix queenie's email so she won't get spammed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I emailed you Queenie :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a quick suggestion, queenie, from a guy who works in the web site development business, when you want to post your email address on a forum like this, if you want to avoid increasing the amount of spam you get in your email, you should write out your email address like this:

myname -at- mydomain.com

Note the use of -at- instead of @

What this does is it makes it impossible for spam bots (automated email address collection software programs) to copy your email address into their databases.

Sorry, I know that's ultra geeky and way off topic, but I like to educate people against spammers, who are, in my view, the scum of the earth.

Post subject: I am so lucky!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have no idea how I appreciate your taking the time to point that out to me. I am not, by any means, computer smart. I didn't know that could happen. You are never too old to learn something.

Boy, the more I stay here, the more I see how lucky I am to have found such a great bunch of people.

Thank you so, so much! If you see me do anything, please point it out to me.

Love & Hope, queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

queenie - I edited your email address so the spam bots won't be able to pick it up, I hope that's ok with you. If not, let me know!!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:) You guys are so nice!

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Love you guys
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hope I don't mind? Diary, are you kidding. I was wondering what to do about it. I don't know how.

Man, I am on the right site. How lucky can I get.

Thank you, friend. Love & hope, queenie

Post subject: Forgot to mention
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just want to tell you guys my experience.

My first sub doctor put me on 8 & 8. I was at that dose everytime, coming on & off subs.

Last week I met my new sub doctor. She put me on 8 & 12. Well, I feel better, eat, sleep better. So that being at a higher dose made me feel better which is opposed to what I am reading here from a lot of the other members. Wonder why? I go back to everybody is different.

Also, why would doctors put anyone at a dose higher than 6mg if it doesn't make a difference.

I'm just sayin'.

Love & Hope, queenie