It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had a car wreck and from all the doctors ended up on pain pills the past couple of years, I finally had enough and went to see someone about getting off everything and reclaiming my life. Originally this doctor told he would have me off everything using subox 2mg strips in a month, well it's almost a month and now he saying 3-4, I don't want to become dependent on anything else. He started me at 2mg every 4 hrs, I was taking about 4 a day at first and than tapered myself down to 1 a day, and 48 hours ago after my last dose stopped! I've been reading all these horror stories that theirs a delayed w/d, I was taking 3 10-325 Percs a day and 3 30mg ms cotins 3x day for about 10 months and before just Percocet or norco after my accident/surgery. Can someone please let me know if I'm about to start a severe w/d or is it possible with the tapering I did over the past month all the other stuff is gone? Thanks in advance. I don't want to be held hostage by anything anymore. I've forgotten the person I once was, and I felt the subox was becoming a safety net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let me welcome you to the forum!

Honestly the withdrawals could go either way....you could get off and have very minor symptoms that are easily manageable, or because of the very long half life of the subs, it really could be several days before any symptoms show up. Everyone is different and it's so difficult to judge whether you will go one way or the other right now. That's about as truthful as I can be with you.

What makes a huge difference is your attitude. If you take the stance of remaining positive, and just figure you are not going to be having any symptoms you can't easily handle, then that may just be the case. But on the other hand if you sit around WAITING for symptoms to show up and beat you down, then guess what, they most likely will. I'm a FIRM believer that positive thinking makes the difference. That along with exercise, music, eating right, and perhaps some vitamins and supplements to help things along.

There are so many horror stories as you say because I personally feel those that have went through it, done very well, and have had very little problems, if any, are not sticking around on the forums any longer. I think they are out enjoying life as it's meant to be done! There are lots of success stories right here on this forum alone, I'm one of them and there are so many more. But as I say, those that have been successful are usually no longer here to tell how well their doing, and how good life is clean!

If I have it right you jumped from a dose of 1mg. That's a tricky amount of sub seeing as it's so strong and powerful. I would really hate to say one way or the other for CERTAIN how it may go for you. Just being honest here. You may get away with it as I said, and I absolutely hope and pray that you do! But you may run into a symptom or two in a few days that need taken care of. If it does happen, I'm sure you will be able to manage. You really have to WANT this!

You also should remember that you just stopped strong drugs so some symptoms should be expected a little bit. You may find the need to taper even lower as lots have also done. The lower you can get the dose I feel gives you the best chance of the least amount of symptoms. But what affects me may not do the same with you, and vice versa.

Bottom line...

I would just wait and see and try to enjoy each and every day clean. Give it some time and in a few days you should have your answer. After 4-7 or so days pass and you have no problems I would say you have got it made. But again it's such a guessing game with each person.

Let us know how you do each day if you don't mind. I would love to hear how you continue to progress. I wish you the very best and hope it works out great for you!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Karen,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. I will keep you guys uodated. I've been at the gym running 4 miles a day, walking and just being as active as possible.

Mind of matter seems to be the best option, I want nothing more than to be off everything. I see alot of threads of people testing how long it takes to get high again which I don't understand, isn't the putpose to get off everything? To each and their own I suppose.

Thanks again
W

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Karen gave you a great reply. I just wanted to ask if you stopped at 2mg or 1mg? It looks to me like you stopped at 2mg?

Also, you asked why people test how long it takes to get high again.....most everyone on this board is an opiate (pain pill or heroin) addict.

Congratulations on hitting the gym and staying active, in my experience that's one of the very best things you can do for yourself to help minimize wd symptoms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your response. I stopped at 2mg/0.5 strip (not sure what the 0.5 is)

I appreciate the encouraging words

Thanks so much
W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do have one last question, when I told my doctor I'm taking myself off quicker he got angry and said "ill have a seizure and end up with brain damage" I want to trust the doctor but he want to see me weekly, and charges alot. I am in this mess due to doctors over prescribing me things and insisting i return every 2 weeks to a month for "med management" which consisted of me basically just picking up my rx's.

Sound familiar to anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You will NOT have seizures or brain damage from quitting Suboxone. I jumped from a lot higher dose than 2mg and I'm (eeek) perfectly (blurppppp, GAH, flub) fine!! :lol:

Seriously, your doctor is a twit for suggesting you'd have a seizure or brain damage from quitting Suboxone. Quitting Benzo's (Valium, Xanax, etc) can cause seizures, but not opiates.

Oh Yeah, the .5 in Suboxone is the Naloxone content. Suboxone 2mg film or tablets consists of Buprenorphine (2mg) and Naloxone (.5mg).

Last edited by Romeo on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

it sounds all too familiar. First, you cannot get a seizure from opiate withdrawal, only alcohol and benzo withdrawal can do that. Second, there is now an addiction business that profits off of our misery. Someone like you should have never went on suboxone. They see we are addicted and create a medication that prolongs our addiction. Suboxone kept my addictive thinking alive for 4 years. I should have tapered off in a month like you. Instead I threw away thousands just to avoid withdrawal. For some people that are very far gone in there opiate addiction, suboxone can be a good help to stabilize and prepare that person for detox, but to keep anyone on subs for more than a few months is absurd. There are other medications like naltrexone and vivitrol that can help with cravings by making us unable to get high. But to really get over this addiction we need to do work and change our lives instead of throwing in the towel and staying on subs for years. BTW, the sub withdrawal is not as bad in an acute sense as full agonist but it lasts longer. I would have preferred using percs again for a few weeks to get the sub out of my system and then detoxed with full agonist. good luck though, it is completely doable to get off. You may start to feel something by day 3 but it usually starts improving 4 days after it starts. So in 7 days it should be pretty much almost done. Well worth it once you realize how much better life is at the other side. You will finally see how ridiculous the last years of your life in addiction have been.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much livin!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Everyone's different and its hard to determine what's what. What I noticed is that a lot of ppl here are or were hardcore addicts that have been using for years. Naturally they will have much harder time. So try not to believe all the negative comments on withdrawals. Honestly, when I got off subs 5 days ago I thought I would have at least 10 days of withdrawals and an even longer time with minor physical and psychological discomfort. This was all according to ppl on the forum. However by the end if my third day I felt the full elimination if any noticeable withdrawals.I'm on my 5th day and I fee great, the only withdrawal symptom I have is sneezes ever 2 or 3 hours . Last night which was my forth day I slept like I always did. I would highly recommend a taper that last less than a month . Taper down to the lowest micro dose possible and just jump off. You'll feel a couple if days of minor discomfort that can be called withdrawals. After that its smooth sailing .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

l i v i n wrote:
it sounds all too familiar. First, you cannot get a seizure from opiate withdrawal, only alcohol and benzo withdrawal can do that. Second, there is now an addiction business that profits off of our misery. Someone like you should have never went on suboxone. They see we are addicted and create a medication that prolongs our addiction. Suboxone kept my addictive thinking alive for 4 years. I should have tapered off in a month like you. Instead I threw away thousands just to avoid withdrawal. For some people that are very far gone in there opiate addiction, suboxone can be a good help to stabilize and prepare that person for detox, but to keep anyone on subs for more than a few months is absurd. There are other medications like naltrexone and vivitrol that can help with cravings by making us unable to get high. But to really get over this addiction we need to do work and change our lives instead of throwing in the towel and staying on subs for years. BTW, the sub withdrawal is not as bad in an acute sense as full agonist but it lasts longer. I would have preferred using percs again for a few weeks to get the sub out of my system and then detoxed with full agonist. good luck though, it is completely doable to get off. You may start to feel something by day 3 but it usually starts improving 4 days after it starts. So in 7 days it should be pretty much almost done. Well worth it once you realize how much better life is at the other side. You will finally see how ridiculous the last years of your life in addiction have been.

I know you are a loved part of this community. I just wanted to add another perspective but I am NOT trying to step on your toes. I had a "mild" addiction that tortured me for 10 years. I didn't take a lot, but I thought about it 24 hrs a day. The addiction coupled with my OCD had me chained to a life of horror. I needed suboxone for more than 4 months. Aftery first year, I still wasn't ready to even think about tapering. There were some very serious and complicated issues I needed to address while stable. Now, I feel I've been preparing myself to live on the other side of sub therapy. But this is a fairly new confidence and I'm going to be patient with myself. Looking at my addiction on the surface, it may seem as though I shouldn't have been on sub. I did however need it and I think that's an intensely personal decision.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, so today/last night I started feeling the affects. Have memories of waking up on and off in hot/cold sweats. This morning when I forced myself out of bed to feed my dogs, I felt like a million pounds on my shoulders and completely lathargic. I couldn't shower. I literally fell into a hot bath and I am trying to move through my regular life. It's difficult. I believe this is day 3, my last dose of a 2mg subox strip was 2pm on sep 10. Any helpful remedies, idea if it'll get worse or better time frames? Thanks for all the support! W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all so last night was the worst by far! I felt like ripping my skin off, every joint in my body hurt and didn't sleep for more than 30 minute periods, I feel better today, still lathargic. Aches everywhere but nowhere as bad as last night. When will this hell be over? Thanks, W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I can only offer you info based on my experience so it may be different for you, but if I had to guess I would say you will improve by tomorrow and have a better night sleep by tomorrow night latest, maybe even tonight. once the w/d kicked in I had 3 bad nights and the fourth night I slept at least 5 hours and felt much better the next day. If you have clonodine for w/d or trazadone for sleep that helped me a lot. good music inspired me to keep going and getting out of the house was extremely important to help distract me. whatever you, do not watch tv! good luck, it'll be much better within a day or two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Wantoff,

First of all, welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. I know that you were excited about being off, and probably weren't expecting the WD to be so bad. I just wanted to encourage you a bit. You can do this, it is tough, but it's doable. There are alot of people who have posted about their journey of quitting suboxone and quite a few of them are still around, posting to help others in your situation.

2mg is still a pretty high dose to jump from. I know, it doesn't seem like 2mg would be that bad...but the way suboxone lingers in your system kind of tricks you while your on it into thinking that it's not effecting you too much. But then you jump, and get smacked in the face with reality!

You can do it two different ways. You can either stick it out and endure the WD until you feel better. Most cases I have read of people who have jumped from a dose comparible to yours have said their acute WD lasted anywhere from a week to 15 days. I've seen many people say that it peaked at day 11.

Or, you could go back on the subs and do a slower taper. Dropping by small amounts , once per week, getting down to .5mg or lower before jumping. You will endure a very mild WD for a couple months and then when you jump your WD won't be as bad.

Those are your options. And even though I believe in the slow taper method, there are many here who just don't have the patience to go through the process. You have to decide what is right for you.

How are you feeling today?

Forgive me if I have repeated something somebody else has already suggested. I didn't read every reply before I typed out mine.

Good luck! Either way you go, it takes a good attitude and determination to make it through. But, YOU CAN DO IT! Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. You can check out the archives under stopping suboxone for some great advice.

Q

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the positive and real information guys :) I feel like I'm gonna stick it out, I got myself into this, I don't want to cheat a W/D maybe subciosunlsely I want it to teach myself a lesson and never touch this stuff again!

I'm feeling better today, still weak and achey, I'm gonna force myself to go for a run, long walk with my dogs and get some fresh air.

I know for some it's done miracles and I think it's amazing, I'm just impatient, I've lost so much of my life already. I want to regain some normality and begin rebuilding.

Ill keep you guys uodated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay, sounds like a good plan!

Have you asked your doctor if he will prescribe you clonodine? It is a blood pressure med, so most docs don't mind prescribing it. But, it has been said here many times that it is the single most helpful medication while WDing.

Stock up on immodium and something to help you sleep at night also. And a good daily vitamin including B12 is great. These are must have's when you are in the thick of it. The walk will probably help alot too. If you can muster up the energy to go for it! And don't forget hot baths, they work wonders on the achy muscles and joints. AND, don't forget to eat! You have to keep your body fueled for all the stuff it's going through right now!

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, I'm going to pharmacy now to stock up on vitamins, I have an old trazodone 50 mg rx, so ill use that to help me sleep. The rest all natural. The hot baths have become ritual as I don't have the strength to stand in shower, lol. I try eating but it's difficult. I'm going to get some easy to digest chicken broth/vegetables. I hope last night was the worst. I can't imagine something like that going away and coming back? Thanks all :) W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you are having a hard time eating, try some of those ensure drinks.

They don't taste bad, and they are a great way to keep your body going when you just can't choke down the food.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good advice. Thank you so much.