It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: just starting sub
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well hello there fine patrons of this forum/site. I have been an addict since 15.. I am now 25 and havebeen addicted to oxy for the last 4.. I had just been to treatment at project turnabout here in
Minnesota. I hellishly made it thru a month and almost another on the outside until I relapsed with oxy and suddenly felt ao hopeless. I talked to a drug counselor and we decided suboxone might be a r easonable route. I ended up at a pain clinic and found Dr. McClure, he was extremely kind, unlike many other doctors I have seen and today I am sitting in one of his rooms trying sub for the first time.. I am very happy I am for once not going to be spending nearly 100 dollars a day to ensure not being sick. But am also a little worried about becomin addicted to sub, would like to hear maybe some advice from anyone or thoughts on my situation.. thanks very much. -jaydoneee

Post subject: Re: just starting sub
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Jay, Posting from the office at induction huh? LOL...that's pretty cool!

How are you feeling now? Have you had your first dose yet?

The things you are feeling are very normal for people when they are facing the beginning of recovery with suboxone. It is true, if you stay on suboxone for a long period of time you will form a physical dependence. But, you already have that with your DOC right? The difference is, that when you have had a period of stability with suboxone to work on your recovery skills it is much easier to taper and jump from than any full agonist opiates!

Once you are fully saturated and adjusted to the suboxone the extremely long half life keeps you stable for at least 24 hours so you won't feel all those up's and down's you would get from using. You will actually get to feel what it is like to go through your day feeling normal! It gives us a wonderful chance to repair the damage we have done in active addiction and form a real solid groundwork of recovery. Then, if you choose to discontinue subs and give abstinence a go, you will actually have a fighting chance of making it stick long term.

Just so you know, don't be surprised if you feel a slight "high" for the first couple of days. This will go away very quickly as your receptors get used to being saturated all the time.

Welcome to your new life Jay! Congratulations on having the courage to take this first step.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow, thank you for your response! It was very helpful. Yes I took my first dose-s, ha. We started at 2mg and then up to 6 mg is what I took to see kind of where I'm at.. I feel hopeful, and yeah its sort of a high feeling, but more importantly, not sick.. and the first thing I wanted to do was grab a cheeseburger haha, so that is a good sign. I feel much better srarting sub then having to worry about is there going to be oxy around today so I won't be sick, its a very relieving feeling. Thank you again, it gives me some reassurance that this is a great step in recovery

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome Jay.

I'm new here too. You can see my post 3 weeks on Suboxone. Q really summarized it best. From my perspective Subs get us away from the feelings you're describing associated with searching for and taking pills. In many ways I'm back to the person I was before I became addicted to Opiates.

Best of luck and stick around, lots to learn here.