It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am just starting suboxone and I have read so many bad things that I am really scared. I have heard that people throw up all of the time because of the taste. I actually started on suboxone about a month ago but got really sick and was put into the hospital. They finally determined that it was my galbladder. Now I am not so sure that some of it was not the suboxone???? Does anyone have any encouragement or advise. I was so excited to finally have something that would work for me to get off narcotics and now I am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:28 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I've said this before in other threads but I think the negative comments and side effects people post about are a very small percentage. Honestly 90% of people I know locally (face to face relationships) that take suboxone have nothing but great things to say about thier experience. About the same percentage of peoe I know who have tapered off suboxone said it was nothing campared to full agonist opiates. Not saying some don't have bad side effects or terrible withdrawls but again I thinks those people are the minority. Most people are not going to take the time to write about how great life is since being introduced to suboxone. I started to browse this forum when I was having a little difficulty lowering from 4 to 3. Before that I had no complaints or issues with suboxone. Even the problem I've had lowering is, when I really think about it, not that big of an issue. Please don't let all the negative comments scare or influence your decision. As much as I love this forum and as much as I've learned from it, it should never replace a medical proffesional. I'll say it again, if you take 100 suboxone patients and say 10 of those 100 are having adverse reactions or a miserable time coming off of it, those 10 are the ones you are going to hear from the most. Example.. I own a small business and one of the first things I learned was that a dissatisfied customer will tell an average of 20 people thier bad experience but a satisfied customer will only tell 2 others of the possitive experience they've had. It's the same thing. Please keep in mind when reading a negative comment that thier are 10 others with possitive things to say. Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello booda and welcome to the forum. I hope you find as much support and information here as I have. I have to second everything Smoothy said, especially about there being more people with positive experiences than with negative. The ones with bad experiences tend to scream the loudest, while those that are pleased tend to be out living their happy lives.

I've not heard of anyone throwing up all the time because of the taste. It is unpleasant to some people - me for instance - but it doesn't even make me gag - it's merely not something I like. Some people on the other hand don't mind the taste at all.

Keep in mind that classical conditioning is likely at work with you. Even though you know in your head that it was your gallbladder that caused you to be sick the last time, it's quite common to "link" the fact that you just started suboxone with your being sick. That's conditioning and it's normal. Just keep reminding yourself that it was the gallbladder that made you sick the last time.

When are you due to start suboxone? Please let us know how you make out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:23 pm 
Hi Booda! Welcome to the group! I couldn't agree more with Smoothy and Hatmaker have already told you.
So much of this is about expectations, attitudes, preconceived notions or fears, and so on. I think Smoothy is right on the money.....certainly those who have had 'bad' experiences are going to speak louder than those who haven't. I'm another who can testify that after over a year on Suboxone and a lot of tapering, any issues I've had with the drug are minor in comparison to the benefits.
I'm sorry about your gallbladder disease! That can be a miserable thing! Glad that thing is out of there! Perhaps now that you've had time to recover from that would be a prettty good time to try again to work on your opiate addiction with the help of Suboxone. Hopefully, you've found yourself a good doctor and I also hope you have other plans in place for treatment.....groups, or therapy, or an in- or out-patient treatment program, etc. I think you'll find that the medication will help you immenselfy in getting things under control, but addiction is so complex. I had no idea! I thought, well, I'll get off the drugs and I'll be back to where I was before this nightmare started! I couldn't have been more mistaken! Being on opiates for an extended period of time really does a number on our brain chemistry, our thinking, our relationships, our spirituality....it just leaves a wake of destruction that is huge. But there is HOPE! I know I finally felt that hope when I first started on Suboxone. What a wonderful feeling that was! But it was only the beginning. There was still much work for me to do.
Anyway....sure, I think you've got a great shot at it! It's really uncommon for Suboxone to literally make people vomit. Gag, yes I've heard that several times, but vomitting, rarely. One thing I'll suggest is to do what myself and many others have learned helps with this medication. That is to spit out the saliva (and 'goo') that is left in your mouth after the medication has completely dissolved. As long as the tablet has completely dissolved and there are no solid particles of it left in your mouth, you will not lose any drug by spitting afterward. Don't rinse your mouth after, as there will still be drug absorbing through the mucousa of your mouth. Just spit it out to avoid having the stuff enter the stomach, which might contribute to nausea or for some us (myself included) a headache after dosing. There is information about this and other techniques for dosing and absorption here on the forum if you'd like to do a quick search here, you'll find more. But I just thought that might be a good idea for you if you're afraid of getting sick to your stomach.
All the best as you get started. I sure hope you'll come back and tell us more about your particular situation, how your treatment is going and so forth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi! I agree with what has been said. I think I have only heard one person complain of the taste making them want to gag on this site in the past 6 months or so. I don't know about you, but I used to chew oxycontin and that didn't taste very good but it didn't stop me from doing it and even if it had made me gag, I would have found a way to get it down. I think if you want recovery badly enough you will figure out a way to deal with it. Personally, I found the taste to be pretty bad the first time I took it, but then after that I got used to it over time and it doesn't bug me at all. I don't have ANY side effects with sub. I am not tired. I don't throw up. I don't get constipated. I am not lazy. I don't have problems sleeping. I just don't have any side effects. There are a lot of people like me out there that you will never hear from online when it comes to side effects because we just don't have any.

I also found WD from sub to be livable. I have been on sub for about 3 years with a 3 month break in there somewhere. I will never go off of it.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Just Starting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is my second day. It seems to be going ok. I am so happy that I have found such a great place to get information and share experience. Thanks to all of you have have shared in regards to my comments because it really helps to keep me feeling more positive. I hope to communicate with you alot more.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's good to hear that you are doing well. Sometimes the very vocal minority can make a lot of noise about an issue, and get everyone all worked up about it, despite the fact that there is very little evidence to support all of the noise they are making.

Think: "Death Panels" (for example)

I believe you will find that suboxone does have some side effects, but they are manageable for most people and let's be realistic here: How good was it being strung out on drugs? How were the side effects of that? Know what I mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 pm 
Hey booda, welcome!

I agree with everybody else.

This is why a take a small part out of each day to post something positive on here. I am doing so well with this med that I honestly don't really need to be on here every day. (Although it is the BEST place to get suboxone info and support)

I believe this med is saving my life, I have had NO side effects (except mild constipation that is gone now) and I am super happy. So happy in fact that people on here are probably getting sick of me. Sorry guys. I am trying to balace out the stuff people read on here. I am using my powers for GOOD now, not EVIL! lol, lol

So join me booda! Come back and tell us how you are doing either way! Just remember us when you are out there doing well in the world. Take care, Kire

PS. Just so people know, I realize recovery is not all sunshine and rainbows. Believe me, life is far from perfect. I have awesome face to face support though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:45 pm 
Hey booda.....Everything still going well for you? I hope so. I think you'll find that overall life just gets better and better as the days pass. You start feeling more and more stable and less 'afraid' of Suboxone and more confident in your recovery. As that happens, which it almost always does, take advantage of how much better you feel and start working on every aspect of your life so that you may never go back to the madness that got you here in the first place!

Kire....I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you're posting often. You add a lot here already and I hop you continue on. You remind me a lot of myself early on. I was just so incredibly relieved to be feeling so normal and good and to be getting myself together to somewhere near what I used to be! I agree, it's not all sunshine and lollipops.....nothing is. But Suboxone gave us a fighting chance and I really think I'll sing it's praises forever! Even though I've had some bumps along the way and I may still run into a little trouble as I finish tapering and come off, I still can't see myself ever having much of anything but good to say about this drug. The only thing I might wish to be different would be that it were more accessible.....less expensive to get and stay in treatment, more generics available so the medication wouldn't cost so darn much, things like that. Other than that, overall, this drug has and is saving lives. So yeah, Kire....post away about the positive things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed! There can never be "too many positive posts" on this board. Keep 'em coming Kire!

Booda, I hope you are doing ok! 8)

Post subject: unlikely
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

its unlikely that this problem is due to suboxone use. possible yes, likely no. having seen hundreds of patients treated with suboxone very few have any symptoms other than headaches or nausea. within the addiction community there are so many complicating factors and poor medical behaviours. you're choosing a great, reliable, consistent method. couple that with good diet and exercise, you'll do fine and take back control of your life! you can do this, its worth it!