It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Doc
I'm thinking the 2 8mg doses the doctor told me to do for the first month are way too high I have been addicted to pain meds percs hydro oyx for about a year and a half I have great support from my wife never even touched a drop of alcohol her whole life I'm kinda scared now I took the 1 8mg pill this morning and he wants me to take another one Man!!!!! if it lasts that long why in the world would i want to take another one!!! I feel ok right now A little tired cuz I only slept 2 hours last night duh!!!
As you can see I'm clueless The part that bothers me is he didn't give me any timeline of how long i would be on them Do you think 16 mg a day is a good idea?? I mean I want to do what the doctor says But he may have other interests in the form of my CASH I just want to stop taking anything as quick as i can But I am mindful that I am addicted and want to do things right
Please help can u give me some insight I would appreciate it
Robbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I very much agree with you on one point but can't disagree more on another. As for the dose, if you are able mentally to take one 8 pill a day, I can pretty much assure you that you'll do fine physically. Most people do great on between 4 and 8 mg. some believe they need more to feel normal. Most do not. So if you do 8 mg every day, you will do great physically.

What I hope you'll rethink is getting off Bup as fast as possible. It is beyond clear that anyone under the age if 30 or anyone on Bup treatment less than one year are much more apt to relapse. If both under 30 and less than one year it's even worse. Therefore, you would do yourself the best service by staying on for at least a year, working on recovery and rebuilding your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:36 pm 

Hi Polly and welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to Introductions because the section you put it in is reserved for our resident Dr. Junig. If there is time in his schedule he may answer your question. No guarantee's. Most all the questions are answered by the members here. We have a good group of people with a large amount of knowledge to run this place.

I'm in agreement with you and donh. If you feel it's too much, it's too much. A lot of us, including myself, had the exact same issue in the beginning. My doctor kept getting mad at me because I was tapering by myself. Once I got down to 4-6 mg's I was fine. Being truthful sometimes gets a person in trouble. My doctor finally let me be once I stabilized. Then I kept tapering down just like you want to do. That was a mistake. Now I'm on 6 mgs and been on it since '10. If the day ever comes where I feel it's the right time to taper and quit, I will. Until then, I'll keep dosing everyday and not think about it.

How about you give us some information about yourself. What drug/s you took, how much before finally throwing in the towel and seeking treatment. You know, introduce yourself.

Either way, welcome to our forum of opiate recovery.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome
I am 57 started taking percs for an insane tooth infection prescribed by a doctor I also work on my feet I walk about 6 to 8 miles in a day on a concrete floor So my feet were in constant pain{more on that later}
So after I ran out of the percs I got from the oral surgeon a buddy said hey I can get some of those if you want Sure I felt great and I didn't feel my feet anymore So I started buying them 50 a month 75 month next thing you know I was buying 160 month for about a year
One night my foot was swollen so bad I went to a foot doctor He said you fractured your foot
He took X-rays and found I had a deformity in my feet {hence this is why no good feet store or custom inserts ever worked} Of course he gave me a brace and nothing for pain
well about 7 mos later after paying a good 800 or more a month I decided I would tell my primary care doctor about my condition and see if she would hook me up she did norco .5 mg i finally got her up to 10's Of course after you have been doing 10 mg percs for a year the norcos were a joke
Then I met a guy who took morhine cs and 20 mg oxy he had a plentiful script he would fill every month
and I started buying those also .Good grief by this time I was just trying to take them to feel normal
they just made me more miserable I confessed to my wife and decided I have to stop read a lot about subs
horror stories and all But I felt if I can feel better under a doctors care I will do that So here I am

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm 

Well thanks for shairing your story Polly. Many of us started out the same way. The pill addiction is so widespread these days.
This happened to me also. I few here and there turned into a nightmare. Sub treatment saved my life. That was over 4 years ago.

I like agree what don and rule have said. I hope you ll look around the forum and also go over to Dr Junigs Talkzone blog. He has really covered this subject at length in all things Bupe.

I believe opiate addiction is a chronic life loug condition and suboxone can be taken for the loug haul. As don stated those jumping off to quickly more than not relapse within the first year. Try reading here and educate yourself and see what you think..

Glad your doing well and please keep posting with any questions you may have...

Razor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

Welcome to the forum. It is an honest, supportive & educated forum IMO. I feel really funny calling a man "polly" so I am going to call you PC....OK?

Anyway, i started the same way you did. Chronic pain equals lots of pain pills = addiction & w/d's. I am around your age as are many on this forum. I was taking lots of pills for a few years, tried to quit several times, didn't make it. When i got serious and accepted that i couldn't do it on my own it still took me 8 months to find a sub doctor & get started on recovery.

Probably the best example of my recovery is my adult daughter sent me a text that said "whatever you changed, keep doing it because you are my "old" mom again. That hit me hard! I thought no one knew and that i was the same ole me, just taking some pills. Those pills changed me & sub (bupe) changed me back to the old me.

I have been in treatment for about 1.5years now and have no immediate plans to stop.

Hopefully you become active here to help yourself & others. Are you doing anything recovery wise?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki
I understand what you mean I can not believe how this one pill can take me back to the person I was before I ever took a pill it is mind boggling
I have to keep reminding myself I'm on a narcotic Today was the 3rd day I was fine most of the morning and was planning on just taking the 1 8mg pill but around lunch time I started to get a little depressed not sure what was going on But I took the other dose around 1pm the first dose was at 400 am and I felt fine the rest of the day
The one thing I've noticed right away you don't want to take 1 of these late in the evening cuz you will never get to sleep
I think I've decided to probably follow the doctors direction and just do the two a day for the first month what are your thoughts on that? I'm curious as long as you have been taking them How much do you take? and when do you take them? I think I am getting so hung up on making sure I get off them right away
that I am missing the whole point of why I'm on them in the first place
I have started eating again I lost about 50 pds in two years pitiful!!!!! I love feeling normal If it means staying on this for a while it may be the smart way to go
Thanks for responding to my post this is first for me never had issues with any drug in my whole life
These pain pills are some wicked stuff I cant imagine having to take them for a prolong period of time for and injury or a surgery and not getting full blown addicted to them
At least now I'm not trying to plan my life around wether I will have any pills or not that given week
and spending every dime I make thats a plus your thoughts? please share it helps a lot!!!
my name is Rob pollycobbler is the username thanks donh for your input also I treasure it

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rob

My opinion is that the less you take the better. Can you try taking 12 mg? Maybe 8 mg in the morning & 4 mg around 3? In all honesty you don't need 16 mg a day. 8 mg would be ideal but 12 is better than 16 LOL Try to think of it as "just a medication". You wouldn't take your blood pressure medicine if you started feeling down or had the runs. Often it's our brains messing with us (clearly laymans terms LOL). Maybe you were sad because you heard something on the news or remembered something or were thinking you can never take a pain pill again...my point is, maybe it had nothing at all to do with needing more bupe. I have had to work hard to not reach for a pill to adjust my mood. That what how i lived when i was in active use. Not feeling right, take a pill, foot sort of hurts, take a pill, have to make an unpleasant phone call, take a pill. Do you know what i mean? It's a habit and we can break them. It takes time & mindfulness to break the habit but it can be done. Maybe this is not at all how you used..i am just relating my personal experience.

I never take the bupe any later than 4 pm. Usually I take 5.7 mg when i am getting dressed for work then 2.3mg 12-1 pm and the other half (2.3 mg) by 3-4pm. I am on Zubsolv (a generic bupe product) that is 5.7 mg bupe & a small amount of nalaxone. I take it 3 times a day for pain. I plan on cutting it to twice a day and see what happens.

Initially the doctor wanted me to take 24 mg a day. I never did that much because i got all shaky and weird feeling. That was the usual starting dose by most sub doc's. Now the starting dose is 16 mg but i bet that will go lower as the doc's learn more about how sub really works.

It takes time to stabilize on bupe and if this is your 3 rd day I think you are doing well. It took me close to 3 weeks before i felt comfortable about my choice and was stable on the sub. Try not to over think it and imo get involved in some sort of recovery, 12 steps or SMART on line or an addiction therapist. Something to help you understand what happened and make changes so when you do go off sub you won't fall back into using. Sub takes the cravings away. Did you ever run out or get close to running out and tear your house & car apart looking for a pill you may have dropped?

As far as it being hard to get off...think about it....we couldn't get off the drug we were taking but with bupe we are changing our behavior and have the option to taper. We have several success story's here where people got off without much trouble.

One last thing (LOL), i know an older woman (78) that had hip replacement twice on the same hip, first surgery was bad so they had to go in again & correct it. She was on pain meds about 8 months. Never took an extra one & skipped a day now and then. Well, she was talking to me and said her doctor was tapering her off but she was sick as a dog. She was so upset when she googled it and realized this sickness was withdrawal. Her doctor never told her this would happen & she thought since she took them as prescribed it would be fine. The point is the brain doesn't know if it's prescribed or abused, it just gets used to having the drugs pump the endorphin's. It can happen to anyone...

Hope you are feeling ok..will check in tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tikki
Thank you sooooooooo much for posting your experience !!!!!
I am so grateful for you and Razor and donh responding to me
I'm sure my doctor has never taken them so he can only go by his patients experience
Yes I did that on day 2 8mg in the morning and 4mg in the afternoon and that was fine
I hoping to just stabilize at 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon
I did read some good info So many people talk about getting addicted to subs
Well we are addicted to opiates and subs are an opiate
Your not going to do perks for a year and then switch to hydros to wean off and worry about getting addicted to the hydros Your already addicted !!! Like switching from whiskey to vodka doesn't matter what you name it it is what it is
However this is legal a lot safer in many ways and I'm normal in the process I should of done this sooner
But like you said I'm not going to fret over the fact that I'm on them I just need to change my thinking like you said when I took another pill yesterday because I was feeling a little depressed BINGO
I didn't need to that That statement was worth a million dollars to me soo helpful !!!!!
So I will focus on getting stabilized and recovery Thanks for helping I figured I would join this forum and post my experience so it will help someone else I just wish I did it sooner But hey I did it