It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a 32 year old female who has been using opioids illicitly since 2006 with a few months here and there of abstinence via cold turkey detox and even a few inpatient detox's. Right now, I am coming off approx 240 mg/day of roxicodone. I am so excited to start suboxone. My doctor gave me 8 - 8 mg tablets (2 a day) and I have a follow up Monday. I just took my first 8mg tablet about an hour ago and am already feeling some of the withdrawal feelings dissapating. I feel like it is my last hope. Despite the crazy expense, it is pennies compared to what I was spending buying pills off the street. Not to mention, the desparity I felt every day worrying about finding drugs, paying for them, and the guilt felt for not having the energy or motivation to spend time with my 11 year old twin daughters. I hope to be active in this forum. Any advice that anyone wants to offer is much appreciated. I am continuing to take 2 mg of Xanax spread throughout the day, along with Nuerontin 900mg a day. I would like to stop the neurontin eventually. I do have valid back problems, fibromyalgia, and anoreixia/bulimia and I do worry that my pain will come back. I can't seem to find much info about suboxone controlling pain. i just wanted to introduce myself and hope to make some new supportive friends!! Thank you for reading!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi gsweet and welcome to the forum and to addiction remission. It sounds like your induction is so far going well. I'm glad to hear it. I hope it continues to go well. I had been on opiates to begin with for chronic pain from fibro and I found that suboxone helped to make my pain - for the most part - manageable/tolerable. In fact, in reduced it a good couple of points - if not more - on the pain scale. I hope you get the same relief from it as I have.

Again, welcome and please update us on how you are doing with the new sub treatment.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the welcome!! I am feeling withdrawal symtoms start after only 5 hours of taking my first suboxone 8mg. Cold chills, sweats, and leg cramps. Is this normal? Should I call the Dr. Tomorrow and tell her? I guess technically I should be taking these 12 hours apart. I went ahead and took my second one for today since its evening but I don't want to have w/d symptoms tomorrow if I have to take 12 hours apart! Does 8mg twice a day sound sufficient for me since I was taking 240mg of roxy's daily?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome to the forum, as well as to your new life! I think you will find the dose you are on sufficient. My doc told me that at 16mg/day 94% of the opiate receptors are bound. Also, there has been discussion of making that the maximum daily dosage for those who are not taking it for pain. Sub builds up to a steady state in your blood in about a week, so what you're feeling now are the ups and downs that will occur until you reach that level. Hopefully you will feel a little better every day. When you dose tomorrow significant amount of what you took today will still be in your system.
I posted a graph under Dosing Discussion that shows the process of doses "stacking up".
Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. You will find a lot of information and support here.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Lily. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon. That chart was very helpful. I didn't realize that you have to let it build up to reach stabilization. This site is so helpful! I am keeping my spirits up and tomorrow is a new day! :wink: Thanks again so much for responding!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi gsweet,

We're glad you joined us.

Some people report almost instantaneous relief when starting Suboxone, while others report that it takes a day or two to really start doing it's thing. Hang in there, it'll get better.

BTW, 240mg of Roxy's per day is a......I don't know how to word this properly?? It's a good size habit. I quit about 150mg or so of Lorcet per day (Hydrocodone) and was inducted onto 16mg per day of Suboxone and had no issues. I think you'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would also say to give yourself some time to stabilize. You're comfortably above the ceiling (generally accepted to be at or around 4 mg) and that saturates the receptors, but right now they are not STAYING saturated. That is what has to build up in your system. So give it a few days up to a week and then perhaps reassess your dose with your doctor. Once stable your dose should hold you for 24 hours. The mean half-life of suboxone is 37 hours, so dosing once a day is ideal and it helps us get out of the bad habit of taking pills throughout the day. Good luck and let us know how you are feeling. Oh and keep in mind that one of things to think about when finding the right dose is what is necessary to address all of your opiate cravings. That dose varies from person to person. In the beginning it's not uncommon for people to be on a higher dose for a couple of months, after which they can then get to a lower dose and be fine. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I woke up this morning feeling horrible w/d. :( I took my 8mg dose at 8am and by 11:30, I was feeling cold sweats, leg cramps, etc so I called my doc and left her a message. In the mean time, at about 12:30 I took half of the next 8mg tablet. I felt so much better. Doctor called me back and said that some mild w/d symptoms are normal and can last for 3 days or so. I am ok, and will bear with that, but breaking the tablet in half seemed to work well. I didn't ask the doctor this, (I don't want to alarm her and make her think that I am already trying to defer what she is telling me to do) but Im thinking of breaking the 8mg tablets into halfs and taking 4 a day. Is this a bad idea???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BTW... @Romeo... 240mg of roxi is a *#%& habit BUT... I could also take 150 mg of Hydro and be fine with that in a day so I think the two may be a bit comparable! :) I used IV every other day as well.... :( yuck... so glad to be free....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again gsweet,

You can re-post your questions in more than one thread, there are certainly no rules against doing that, but by doing that you are more than likely to split the answers or replies given back to you and that can get confusing for those of us trying to follow your progress. Personally, I would like to see you continue one thread unless you have a different question you would like to ask. That's just my opinion, OK? I hope that by saying what I just said that I haven't hurt your feelings in anyway because that certainly was not my intention.

As far as breaking your tabs into 4 doses, you can do that, it's not going to hurt you. I wouldn't do it for any longer than absolutely necessary though. Seeing as you are just getting onto suboxone, you do what you have to to get stabil.

I copied this message and posted it on your other thread as well.

Yikes, I just now saw that you were doing IV every other day, I think it makes a little more sense as to why it's taking you a bit longer to stabilize.....don't worry about it though, you'll get there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Of course you didn't hurt my feelings, I am new to this... thanks for the advice and it makes sense...

One day at a time. I feel pretty good right now... maybe one minute at a time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi gsweet,

Welcome to the fourm!

It seems wierd to me that you would be feeling w/d symptoms so soon after dosing. So, I was just wondering if you are really getting full absorption from your suboxone. How are you taking it? Are you putting it in a dry mouth and holding those juices in your mouth for at least 15min? (I hold them in for about 30 min) The sub will absorb through your cheek tissue as well as under the tounge. And then make sure you are not eating or drinking for at least 15 min after your dose. There is a post on here called maxium absorption some where. It would be good for you to find...sorry I don't know where it is or I would try to post a link.

When I first started the sub I split my dose up too. 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening. I thought it made me feel better. About a month later my doctor told me to stop because he wanted me to break my addict behavior of taking somthing throught the day. So I did and it was not a big deal at all. So yeah, do what works for you until the sub blood level gets high enough.

I was using IV dilaudid and morphine as well as any opiate pills I could get. My detox with sub was painless and I am doing well on my 8mg a day.

So good luck! And keep us posted on how its going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Orangedoll! I thought about the absorption today and wondered about that. They take freakin FOREVER to melt. Its more like a losange! (sp?) I have just been putting under my tongue and letting it melt and swallow as I need to. I will try to hold it it my mouth longer. I figured it could absorbed in my belly just as well but I guess not ? I will find that post on here you were talking about and do some research on that. Maybe that is part of the problem! I have also not really been paying attention to drinking afterwards so that is a problem too I bet. Thanks for the advice. I am going to ask my doc about the film. I called my pharmacy and they are a bit cheaper and I see there is a coupon on the manufacturers website right now for the film... and as always, $ is an issue. Thanks again sooooo very much for responding! Hopefully I will be giving people advice here one day! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:25 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am wondering if you had proper induction. You have to be in with-drawl form the roxys and what ever else before you can START the suboxone or your W/D will be much worse. Just wondering. Surely your doc told you that. It's what just came to my mind reading your posts. I was SO nervous when I was in detox clinic. I was dreading the w/d because cold turkey just gets worse everytime. But once I was in just a little bit of w/d they let me have my first dose. It was amazing!! None of the feet crazies at night, no joint pain, no wanting to blow your head clean off because you feel like crap! It has been a blessing in my life. Good Luck!!

I'm new here today, too!! Lots of good info. I have been on Sub for a while now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Toothygrin - How long have you been on sub? I took my last 30mg Roxi at 3pm Thursday and took my first suboxone at 2pm the following day... just short of 24 hours. When i went into the Doc, she did the survey (don't remember the name) to find out what stage of w/d i was in and she said i was on the weak end of mild (though it didn't FEEL mild), just barely made it. So maybe that is part of the problem, though I probably would have strangled the doc if she had said "Go away, come back tomorrow!" LOL

I am feeling better today. I cut my 2nd 8mg yesterday into 2 doses and took one at 12pm and one at 5pm and that seemed to help. I am wondering if maybe the faint w/d symptoms ARE all in my head, as my bf seems to think! :lol: I had to work this morning, so I took my first dose at 5am. 9:45am and I'm still truckin and I still feel good so thumbs up so far. I am going to try NOT to break the second tablet in half today and do as doc says! I have seemed to be pretty energetic.. almost jittery. FAR different from before when I couldn't keep my head out of the tub when giving a dog a bath b/c I was so tired. I'll keep you posted and thanks... I can't believe how much good info and suggestions i am getting here! amazing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

gsweet,

Glad to hear you're doing better. I was wondering about how long it would be before the Suboxone really seemed to kick in for ya, it sounds like it's doing it's job now though.

Feels good to feel good, doesn't it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my opinion that if you're having withdrawals between doses that you're not on a high enough dose. If splitting up your doses helps, then great, but overall you're still getting the same mg in your system and you need to get those opiate receptors saturated and to KEEP them saturated. So personally I believe you need to be at a higher dose. I'm no doctor, but I don't agree with your doc who says it's normal to have withdrawals like that. Just my non-medical, non-professional judgment based on what I know about suboxone.

Oh, and about maximum absorption, if you can, avoid swallowing while it's still dissolving. It's only absorbed in the mucous membranes in the mouth - none in the stomach.

Post subject: Welcome gsweet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[font=Century Gothic]Welcome to the forum and Welcome back to "Life" in general, which is the best part. First off this is a wonderful forum especially for finding help when just beginning your journey on the road to recover. This is a great site founded by a wonderful intelligent and caring doctor, who in case you were unaware has himself struggled with addiction and has been in recovery for a long time, so in my opinion, any advice he gives is not only medically sound but genuine beings that hes been through it all himself. Not to mention that the people on this site are really amazing people who truly care about others and really try to help answer questions to the best of their knowledge and genuinely care about their own recovery and the recovery and wellbeing of others. I am so happy to hear that you have began your Suboxone treatment, like me there is a lot of people on here that will agree that Suboxone along with group therapy and or any other 12 step program or AA/NA meetings has truly helped us get our lives back. Oh and your Icon of your dog is so cute! There are some awesome Moderators on here such as (*Hatmaker*xoxo) who im sure you'll quickly meet, she makes a huge commitment to this site and helping all of the posters on it, that are really knowledgeable and caring and can help you out with your questions and concerns of your early recovery. Again Welcome and we are glad to have you back! [/font]